Analyze this club data!

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
The data below is taken from two different drivers. One has a Callaway Epic SZ head with a Graphite Design Tour AD shaft. The other has a Callaway Epic head with a TPT 16 shaft.

Which outperformed the other?

GAMER.pngTPTSHAFT.png

I'd call that a toss up. The numbers were similar enough, that I'd say play which ever felt better.

B has a nicer carry and hit a bit higher, likely due to the couple hundred RPM extra in spin. Both look like nice little draws at that.

The one labeled "2 Iron" has a better "best to worst" range and appears to be a touch more consistent from shot to shot. I like it's launch and height a little better too. If given the choice I would game the "2 iron" as long as it felt nice to swing. Otherwise, they are close enough to play the one that looks and feels more yummy.

Based on what I'm seeing I think I would give a slight advantage to #2 with a little more spin and a little more carry

i like 2. seems to be more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the interesting part:

I was fit for #1.

..... They had one job.

What was the reasoning besides the upgraded shaft?

The original shaft I was using was way too light for me (50 g) and the kick-points were all messed up. I hit the ball pretty high and needed a lower trajectory, especially on windy days. To be fair to the fitter, he did equip me with a better driver set up compared to what I was using.

I would probably go with 2 wood since it looks like your large misses are to one side of the fairway.

The original shaft I was using was way too light for me (50 g) and the kick-points were all messed up. I hit the ball pretty high and needed a lower trajectory, especially on windy days. To be fair to the fitter, he did equip me with a better driver set up compared to what I was using.

I once picked up a demo club at Golfsmith and stripped it down the center 4 times on the GC2. It's been in my bag for 2 years now. I've recently had a fitting for a driver and hit for hit, the recommended club was only 2.5 yards longer carry and 7 yards longer on roll. Couldn't find myself to sink the $500 for 2.5 yards of carry.

My point is, sometimes we get lucky with a combo out of the blue.

Complete toss up IMO.

I’ll always take more carry bc that swing will travel.

#1 looks slightly better from the average. Honest question...is it even worth looking at shots that are >30yds offline?

#1 looks slightly better from the average. Honest question...is it even worth looking at shots that are >30yds offline?

personally i say no. but many will say yes.

I’ll always take more carry bc that swing will travel.
MikeG has it right IMO, since the numbers are similar, carry is king IMO, and option #2 appears to be a little more consistent as well.

Does it have more torque?

I sure wish I could get some of that rollout you are seeing. The carry distances are pretty close to what I see on good strikes but zero roll out normally. Number two does look more consistent, but you have to confident with whichever you choose.

An improvement sure, but I would think driver two would work on 90% of your days.

Little bit of a threadjack, but unless you're spinning the heck out of the ball with a high launch, you're still going to get more distance with a higher launch when hitting into the wind as compared to a lower launch.

Would be curious to see your numbers on the SZ with a tour AD-IZ.

As is doesn't matter but neither jump off the page as a must buy

When over 50% of the shots are then yes

Generally I would say you could toss them, but in the case with big misses back to back in opposite directions multiple time is a problem. Driver 1 has a stretch of 6 consecutive swings with 137 yards of dispersion, that's hard to overlook. I'd go with #2.

What I’ve noticed with my gamer (#1) is longer distances overall, but harder to control.

I take 1. Very similar carry numbers and overall but 1 was a good bit better dispersion wise.

What I’ve noticed with my gamer (#1) is longer distances overall, but harder to control.

I'd go with #2 for that reason. The long/short and left/right variance is just better. The differences in carry distance isn't enough for me to add that much extra variability. I plotted your carry yardage and dispersion with both clubs to illustrate. The red is club #2 and is just more consistent. Green bar is zero offline and I went out 75 both left and right to include the biggest misses.
lGz78hG.png

Back