2018 TaylorMade Project (a) and Project (s) Golf Balls

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New golf balls from TaylorMade Golf as they are launching a new model of Project (a) and a new release of Project (s).

Untitled-1.jpg

From the company
Since its inception in 2014, the Project (a) golf ball has been designed to deliver golfers Tour-level performance in a three-piece construction at an attractive price point. The original Project (a) gained notoriety by being designed with a cast urethane cover to provide Tour-level spin for the average golfer, a performance attribute unmatched by anything in the category. In 2016, the ball was made softer with lower compression while maintaining the greenside spin demanded by consumers. In 2018, Project (a) takes the next step in its evolution with new technologies that make it significantly longer than ever before.

Complementing the Project (a), TaylorMade is also introducing the all-new Project (s) golf ball. The all-new Project (s) offers an even softer feel while continuing the company’s focus on low driver spin and significant driver distance; a golf ball unlike any in the competitive class to date. To break through in a crowded and diluted space, TaylorMade has designed one golf ball that delivers on the two performance attributes amateur players in this category want most: soft feel AND distance. No longer does the golfer have to choose between one or the other with a single ball. That ball is Project (s).

Similar to the Project (a) the Dual-Distance Core in the Project (s) decreases the overall compression of the ball for soft feel while maintaining rebound and speed. The Project (s)’s compression is 60, 10 less than the Project (a). The dual distance core is a two-layer system that has a large, low compression inner core that reduces unwanted driver spin and creates great feel. The outer core consists of a softer-resilient polymer that also improves feel and maintains high ball velocities.

The 2018 Project (a) & Project (s) golf balls will be available at retail on February 16 and April 1 at an MSRP of $34.99 & $24.99 USD per dozen, respectively. Project (a) will be offered in gloss white or yellow, while Project (s) will be offered in gloss white as well as matte orange or matte yellow. To learn more about both models, visit TaylorMadeGolf.com.

Was never a huge fan of the Project (a) balls I tried in the past but certainly willing to give the new version a shot.

I enjoyed the project A in my limited time with them (mainly cause I saw greenside spin which I typically do not get to enjoy)

Hmm... I enjoyed the Project (a) the last couple of seasons. I think I might still have a half dozen from 2017. If golfing ever resumes in Ohio, I might have to look into these.

I liked the second version of the P(a) ball far more than the original. If the improved version continues that trend, then it’s definitely one I’ll check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Project (a) has been one of the best all around balls out there for am's for a while IMO, the addition of the (s) is interesting, but adding an ionomer covered distance ball into the same naming mechanism is smart IMO.

I played these balls in the past and thought they were a decent offering for the price but found others to be better suited for my game. Wasn't this ball the one everyone complained about the seam? Curious if that is fixed in this version

Definitely interested in the (s).

If it does what they're promoting, it will get a chance to be the gamer.

I played these balls in the past and thought they were a decent offering for the price but found others to be better suited for my game. Wasn't this ball the one everyone complained about the seam? Curious if that is fixed in this version
Good point. I gave up on Vice balls because of the seam.

Project(a) did have a runway for a seam. I enjoyed it very much off irons particularly, but I thought it wasn't quite as good as others into the wind, particularly with longer clubs. More distance is welcome in this release as I thought it lagged just a little behind in that scenario.

I'm a big taylormade guy, but have never liked their golf balls. That being said, the project (s) intrigue me. Will definitely buy a dozen to see how compares to my current gamers.

I liked the last Project A balls. I will definitely be trying out these when they are released.
So many balls to try and. Not enough time to play them!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big fan of the Project a line and will definitely be checking these out.

I like the Project A a lot, but making the low compression 3 piece polymer ball in the same “Family” is smart marketing...

Basically it their version of the Q-Star & Q-Star Tour (except the Q-Star is a 2 piece ball).

So Project (a) is to TP5 as E6 is to the B lines or the NXT is to the Prov1, right?

I'm speaking on the concept that it's a quality ball that has characteristics a golfer needs, but and a cheaper price point.

So Project (a) is to TP5 as E6 is to the B lines or the NXT is to the Prov1, right?

I'm speaking on the concept that it's a quality ball that has characteristics a golfer needs, but and a cheaper price point.

I think the (s) is a better comparison due to the cover. The (a) competes with the Srixon Q Star Tour imo.

Saw something that these will be a seamless ball, and if that's the truth, I cannot wait to try them. I really liked what I saw out of the project a ball in pretty much every facet of the game. I do think the Q Star Tour undercuts at the price point though when comparing the urethane cover option.

Saw something that these will be a seamless ball, and if that's the truth, I cannot wait to try them. I really liked what I saw out of the project a ball in pretty much every facet of the game. I do think the Q Star Tour undercuts at the price point though when comparing the urethane cover option.
Ohhhh seamless would be nice

Taylor Made Project (s) golf balls

Taylor Made Project (s) golf balls

Introducing the New Taylor Made Project (s) golf ball

project_S.jpg

project_S_2.jpg

Attachments

• project_S_3.jpg
    project_S_3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0
So the Project (s) gets 10 less compression and a loss of Urethane cover. That puts it inline with the Titleist Tour Soft which is also mid 60's compression and ionomer cover. Project (a) competes with AVX, TP5/TP5x vs ProV1/V1x. Pretty solid ball line up from TaylorMade.

So the Project (s) gets 10 less compression and a loss of Urethane cover. That puts it inline with the Titleist Tour Soft which is also mid 60's compression and ionomer cover. Project (a) competes with AVX, TP5/TP5x vs ProV1/V1x. Pretty solid ball line up from TaylorMade.

Though they didn’t seem to be popular I enjoyed playing the Aeroburner Pro. I would give these a shot but I’m guessing I may not need to for a while.

Project(s) seems to be the "replacement" for the Aeroburner Pro (Lethal Pro in Canada) and RBZ/Jetspeed/theyalldothesamethingitsa3pieceionomer

I wonder if it's the exact same construction, just different dye.

I'm a huge fan of the TM TP5 and TP5x line, I also play the "low end" TM "Burner" and absolutely love that ball.

Are the Project(a) balls sort of a mid-technology ball between the Burner and TP5?

Back