The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should it though? How many SEC teams are ranked inside the top 10 pre-season and wind up unranked with 4-5 losses at the end of the season (a la USCe last year)? So playing them week 1 and losing to them means you get the benefit of losing to a top 10 team when they turn out to be really bad?

i think it's too tough to quantify "really bad" or over-hyped when injuries, bad officiating, coaching changes, etc can all affect the course of a season. it's not just poor play.

i think it's too tough to quantify "really bad" or over-hyped when injuries, bad officiating, coaching changes, etc can all affect the course of a season. it's not just poor play.

I can agree with that.

There should be some form of retroactive ranking as well... otherwise you get weird situations like TCU where they were a great team, but lost their 2 best players... should the teams who beat them after these injuries still get the full credit?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Georgia Tech may potentially lose a recruit thanks to campus police harassment (racial profiling?).

Every weekend is a playoff game in the sec, where a team that goes to OT with FAU plays for the conference championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every weekend is a playoff game in the sec, where a team that goes to OT with FAU plays for the conference championship

"BUT BUT BUT.... THAT was an instate rivalry game!!!"

I still can't believe that Miles survived this... We'll be 9-3 next year again...

(Not trying to rub salt in a wound, but Auburn is a perfect example this year.)

Jerk.... :alien:

BTW, I would NOT want to play Oklahoma right now. Hitting their stride at the right time of year.

Do do we count end of year ranking or rankings at the time of match up?

LSU was #2 before losing to Bama, weren't they?

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Jerk.... :alien:

BTW, I would NOT want to play Oklahoma right now. Hitting their stride at the right time of year.

A month between now and the CFP. Lots can change.

Just hoping Clemson can get in. A month of rest will do wonders for a team playing its 11th straight game this weekend.

The other thing to look at is how many of those teams fall just outside of the top 25. He used last weeks coaches poll for his rankings, so looking at the "also receiving votes" category. They also played the following teams
#28 LSU
#29 Texas A&M
#30 Wisconsin
#33 Arkansas
#35 Georgia
#37 Tenn

Not saying they should be 2, I would have Oklahoma ahead of them, and maybe even MSU. But Their SOS is WAY ahead of IOWA/OSU/MSU, no matter which SOS metric you look at. Oklahoma is the only other contender that is close in SOS in some metrics. Iowa and OSU are pretty much abysmal in all of them, Clemson and MSU are solid in some and bad in some others. Oklahoma is at or near the top in alot, and around 20 in some others. Alabama is top 10 in all of them. So making the "who have they played" argument is probably a poor choice.

A month between now and the CFP. Lots can change.

Just hoping Clemson can get in. A month of rest will do wonders for a team playing its 11th straight game this weekend.
It also has a way of cooling down teams that are red hot ... as an OU fan, I'd much rather start the CFP next weekend rather than wait an entire month.

I still can't believe that Miles survived this... We'll be 9-3 next year again...

Who does LSU think they can hire that will consistently beat Bama ?

Or jut better than Miles I guess .

Should it though? How many SEC teams are ranked inside the top 10 pre-season and wind up unranked with 4-5 losses at the end of the season (a la USCe last year)? So playing them week 1 and losing to them means you get the benefit of losing to a top 10 team when they turn out to be really bad?

I think you have to look at both sides. If you play a team week 1 that was ranked and then bombed after, that doesn't carry much weight. But UF for example. They will likely finish up ranked in that 20-25 spot assuming they lose this week, if ranked at all. But FSU should still get some credit for beating a highly ranked opponent.
On the flip side, Iowa wasn't ranked early in the year, but the teams they beat should still get some credit for losing to a very good opponent, even if they weren't ranked at the time.

I don't think you should look at just one or the other, but look at both sides.

Who does LSU think they can hire that will consistently beat Bama ?

I think they figured out they couldn't, and that is why he is still there. My gut is they went after Jimbo or Kelly and their agents told them no way.

We need some one that can develop a QB... Or it will be the same thing year in and year out...

If we don't get better next year, I'd call Fisher back and give him whatever he wants...

I think they figured out they couldn't, and that is why he is still there. My gut is they went after Jimbo or Kelly and their agents told them no way.

That's not what happened...

We need some one that can develop a QB... Or it will be the same thing year in and year out...

If we don't get better next year, I'd call Fisher back and give him whatever he wants...

If I'm Fisher, no amount of money could pull me to LSU from FSU. At FSU he has his machine rolling, is in an excellent state for recruiting, and has a much easier path to the Championship.

What did happen?

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/in-ad...eeds-to-fire-joe-alleva-and-f-king-alexander/

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/notes-on-a-f-king-debacle/

This article is about 80% accurate, but it gets a large part of the story correct....

Long story short... We had Fisher, but the President of the University, balked when the optics got out of control...

The price tag was high, but the money was there, the administration mistook wanting to send Miles out the right way, with overwhelming support.... If we lose to Bama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas again next year, Miles will be let go (Georgia style- we won't hear a word about it before it goes down).

There is a large faction of the fan base that is in serious Miles fatigue...

I edited my post to include the article I was referring to...

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/in-ad...eeds-to-fire-joe-alleva-and-f-king-alexander/

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/notes-on-a-f-king-debacle/

This article is about 80% accurate, but it gets a large part of the story correct....

Long story short... We had Fisher, but the President of the University, balked when the optics got out of control...

The price tag was high, but the money was there, the administration mistook wanting to send Miles out the right way, with overwhelming support.... If we lose to Bama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas again next year, Miles will be let go (Georgia style- we won't hear a word about it before it goes down).

There is a large faction of the fan base that is in serious Miles fatigue...

Not sure I buy it, He's a Sexton client. It seems every season every one of his clients "nearly accepts" another job then balks at the end. In 2012 it was Auburn. When Tubs was at Auburn it was just about every possible landing spot. It's his MO for getting the most money for his client from the current school.

Louisiana politics are a weird thing....I totally buy it...

Anyway we are stuck with the Hat until it gets worse... Maybe if we go 7-5 next year the national media won't come down on us as hard... Lol

Anyway we are stuck with the Hat until it gets worse... Maybe if we go 7-5 next year the national media won't come down on us as hard... Lol

sometimes a little heat is all a good coach needs to go on a run... worked well for Ferentz... he was all but out before the season started...

... and LSU can actually recruit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back