The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deserve is relative. UNC really didn't play anyone in the regular season. Would beating the current No. 1 team and losing to a terrible Scar team be a better resume than OSU (beating Michigan, losing to MSU)? At least they would have "conference champ" on their resume.

I think brand recognition gets OSU in over UNC if they beat Clemson. Just my assessment of how CFB is currently run. Too much "eye test" analysis.

or perhaps OSU is the better 1 loss team? Like Bama getting into top 4 weeks ago with all kinds of undefeated teams still out there and them having 1 loss....its because they are better than most

Just don't see UNC beating Clemson, although I have been wrong about CFB once or twice.....

UNC this year reminds me a lot of Clemson from a couple years ago. Really, really good talent at skill positions, OL and defense a little suspect, not much of a schedule.

UNC can put up a ton of points, but I'm not sure they've shown the ability to grind the ball on the ground if needed. Also not convinced they can get a stop when needed.

With that said, if Clemson continues to turn the ball over 3-4 times it won't matter.

What post?
If there is an issue, please contact a mod via PM.

Deserve is relative. UNC really didn't play anyone in the regular season. Would beating the current No. 1 team and losing to a terrible Scar team be a better resume than OSU (beating Michigan, losing to MSU)? At least they would have "conference champ" on their resume.

I think brand recognition gets OSU in over UNC if they beat Clemson. Just my assessment of how CFB is currently run. Too much "eye test" analysis.

I don't see much brand recognition bias in the current system. In the polls maybe. I mean UF was a 1 loss P5 team with huge brand recognition and they were (very deserving) outside the top 10. The top 2 loss team was Stanford, over the much more popular Michigan and and FSU.

If something keeps UNC out it will be their putrid schedule before Clemson, as well as losing to a really really bad team. Although I still think they have a very good shot if they win.

Cant wait to see what happens to OSU when they come to norman. When we go to the Shoe perhaps we can get Uwe VonShaman to kick for us again :)

FWIW, Ohio State does have a home and home with OU in 2016-17. Maybe that had something to do with the cancellation. No idea, really.

The one after your post about some report saying we replaced osu with cal, when we didn't even play cal this year, the year we were to play osu

What?
My post said that you were set to OSU again in two years (2017) and that it was replaced with the Cal game. I removed it to not add to the confusion of all of these teams canceling and UNC being "forced" to play FCS teams since it was for 2017 and 2018. Nobody deleted any other posts. My guessing is a tapatalk error, because nothing is showing in the servers as deleted.

It wasnt "some report", it was a quote straight from the AD.

How could UNC leap frog OSU. OSU had a harder schedule, lost to a strong team and did so in a close and dramatic fashion. UNC played absolutely nobody, and jumps them for a single quality win?

I can understand the argument if someone bleeds baby blue, since the game was so early in the year and we see that argument all of the time from CF fans of their favorite team, but the ole OSU plays nobody schedule is just not the case this year.

I despise Ohio State and Urban Meyer, but I do agree, its not like they lost to the sisters of the blind, Sparty is a damn good team

How could UNC leap frog OSU. OSU had a harder schedule, lost to a strong team and did so in a close and dramatic fashion. UNC played absolutely nobody, and jumps them for a single quality win?

I can understand the argument if someone bleeds baby blue, since the game was so early in the year and we see that argument all of the time from CF fans of their favorite team, but the ole OSU plays nobody schedule is just not the case this year.

or perhaps OSU is the better 1 loss team? Like Bama getting into top 4 weeks ago with all kinds of undefeated teams still out there and them having 1 loss....its because they are better than most

I guess.

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be an outright dominant team this year. The top teams have had moments of brilliance and moments of less than that. Tough year to make a determination of the top four.

I despise Ohio State and Urban Meyer, but I do agree, its not like they lost to the sisters of the blind, Sparty is a damn good team

OU vs OSU in the home and home coming up is going to be FANTASTIC to watch.

I will be in Norman for that, you in?

OU vs OSU in the home and home coming up is going to be FANTASTIC to watch.

Umm okay. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.
wow...

These look awesome, hand painted helmets!

I will be in Norman for that, you in?

I don't see how I can miss.

Plus, by then the Doc will be done and it'll 100% be an option.

I think we could get up to some shenanigans!

The argument against OSU would be - I think - that they didn't win their division (Mich St did) and they won't win their Conference (Iowa or Mich St will), so to reward them for that wouldn't be fair. Of course, back in 2003 OU got whooped by KSU in the Big XII championship and still made the BCS Championship game. Then Alabama in 2011, didn't win their division (lost to LSU) or conference (LSU) but still went on to the BCS game and beat LSU for the crown. I know, I know different system, but wasn't the Playoff meant to prevent such "unfair" things from happening again?

Honestly, the criteria seemingly change with each and every system, each and every year.

As for me? Miami is a 9 hour drive for me ... hoping that there might be a way to make that game if the seeding for Oklahoma falls into place and I can snag a couple of tickets. The rest ... who cares at this point.

Its September 17, I could see some golf and football and perhaps some beverages in our futures :)

Paging Jank.........

I don't see how I can miss.

Plus, by then the Doc will be done and it'll 100% be an option.

I think we could get up to some shenanigans!

Its September 17, I could see some golf and football and perhaps some beverages on our futures :)

Paging Jank.........

Play Jimmie Austin, hit campus corner, take in a fun game? Yes.

The argument against OSU would be - I think - that they didn't win their division (Mich St did) and they won't win their Conference (Iowa or Mich St will), so to reward them for that wouldn't be fair. Of course, back in 2003 OU got whooped by KSU in the Big XII championship and still made the BS Championship game. Then Alabama in 2011, didn't win their division (lost to LSU) or conference (LSU) but still went on to the BCS game and beat LSU for the crown. I know, I know different system, but wasn't the Playoff meant to prevent such "unfair" things from happening again?

Honestly, the criteria seemingly change with each and every system, each and every year.

This is why I have said the simplest action is to take the major conferences, take the winner of said conferences each year and choose the best four schools for the playoff. It would not be hard to figure out those best 4 schools, SOS would be out the window and so would margin of victory.

The complaint that "my conference has better teams" is fruitless in that the easy answer is "win it then".

I really really wish they would just realize so much could be fixed with an 8 team playoff and force the change before this stupid 11 or whatever year contract is up.

Since there is no regulation saying you have to win your conference or division of it I dont think that matters. (not saying I agree with that)
If clemson losses (which I highly doubt) then as much as this pains me to say it should be in OSU in.
After Sparty beats Iowa, Iowa will have one loss to the same opponent as OSU, Iowas division is very weak this year, so I would rank OSU over them. Stanford killed theirself with the loss to Nothrwestern.

Of course these are just the thoughts of an old hillbilly :)

The argument against OSU would be - I think - that they didn't win their division (Mich St did) and they won't win their Conference (Iowa or Mich St will), so to reward them for that wouldn't be fair. Of course, back in 2003 OU got whooped by KSU in the Big XII championship and still made the BCS Championship game. Then Alabama in 2011, didn't win their division (lost to LSU) or conference (LSU) but still went on to the BCS game and beat LSU for the crown. I know, I know different system, but wasn't the Playoff meant to prevent such "unfair" things from happening again?

As for me? Miami is a 9 hour drive for me ... hoping that there might be a way to make that game if the seeding for Oklahoma falls into place and I can snag a couple of tickets. The rest ... who cares at this point.

This is why I have said the simplest action is to take the major conferences, take the winner of said conferences each year and choose the best four schools for the playoff. It would not be hard to figure out those best 4 schools, SOS would be out the window and so would margin of victory.

The complaint that "my conference has better teams" is fruitless in that the easy answer is "win it then".
The FCS playoff has 24 teams, and I think they only play one less game during the season. If that's considered "too much" you could go with a 10 or 12 team format* (all 10 FBS Conference winners and possibly two add-in's) and have every FBS conference champ play for the title. There are so many ways to do it ... yet they won't. I think they love the controversy.

*Still controversial to some extent given the need to seed and add a couple add-in teams.

The FCS playoff has 24 teams, and I think they only play one less game during the season. You could go with a 12 team format (10 conference winners and two add-in's) and have every FBS conference champ play for the title. There are so many ways to do it ... yet they won't. I think they love the controversy.

The NCAA never wants to eliminate water cooler arguing. The entire college football landscape is built on it.

I agree, I think 6 teams is the answer though. The 4 big conference champs are in period. Then 2 at large teams. Top 2 seeds get a bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back