Shame on all retailers open on thanksgiving

Based on their design structure, selling to active humans, it makes a ton of sense.

You're never going to be a real American with that attitude.

Walmart open all day

Best Buy here opens at 3pm and will remain open until tomorrow until 11pm ..

Dollar general open all day and remains open until 11pm tomorrow

kohls will open at 1pm and remain open until Saturday until 11pm with a new sale item every 30 minutes

will leave with that. I guess it is what it is

I golfed today....I'll leave with that.

Walmart open all day

Best Buy here opens at 3pm and will remain open until tomorrow until 11pm ..

Dollar general open all day and remains open until 11pm tomorrow

kohls will open at 1pm and remain open until Saturday until 11pm with a new sale item every 30 minutes

will leave with that. I guess it is what it is

Didn't you use to work in a steel mill? I don't know how you did it up there, and I happen to be off this year, but my guys are there today supplying the world with stainless steel.

I have no opinion. I live in Vegas. 24/7/365 town. There's always someone working.

I don't care either way as I would never be in any retailer this weekend. It is interesting that a couple of the largest US retailers, Apple and Costco, are still closed on Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Didn't you use to work in a steel mill? I don't know how you did it up there, and I happen to be off this year, but my guys are there today supplying the world with stainless steel.
We get the day before / day of / and day after off of all major holidays. Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving and New Years. Been like that for the last 40 years.

Shame on all retailers open on thanksgiving

I close my stores for Thanksgiving. I pay my employees for the day.

We open for black Friday and small business Saturday and then close again for Sunday.

I do not require anyone to work the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. I leave that up to them if they work or not. For the last two years, I've had 100% attendance.

Sometimes, people just enjoy what they do and who they work for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I close my stores for Thanksgiving. I pay my employees for the day.

We open for black Friday and small business Saturday and then close again for Sunday.

I do not require anyone to work the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. I leave that up to them if they work or not. For the last two years, I've had 100% attendance.

Sometimes, people just enjoy what they do and who they work for.

Yep. When you treat people with respect and like a part of a team you get pretty amazing results. Make's life a lot easier.

Yep. When you treat people with respect and like a part of a team you get pretty amazing results. Make's life a lot easier.

No doubt about that.

We get the day before / day of / and day after off of all major holidays. Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving and New Years. Been like that for the last 40 years.

We run 24/7/365 but we do get 2.5x for holidays. I figured in today's environment all steel mills ran all the time. At least major players anyway.

Working for an airline, I can work any holiday. I knew this when I signed up. I'm sure all the retailers let their employees know ahead of time. It is what it is.
I have little time for my fellow employees that complain about working a holiday or weekend. They knew what the job was when they started so if you don't like it, go find a job where you're guaranteed weekend and holidays off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sitting here reading all the day after thanksgiving sales. Sadly most of the sales are today and right now

so sad these retailers that never appreciate their employees are open today. Greed at its best

just wanted to vent and see if anyone else sees this as classic case of greed
Agree with ya' 110%, man. It's a crock, but it's big business and when big business says jump, we all do. I didn't so much have a problem when the standard was "Doors Open at 6 AM Friday!", because at least people got to spend the majority of the day doing what that day was originally intended for, spending time with family. But it's now turned into "Doors Open at 6 PM Thursday!" My GF and I have worked in various sectors of retail for most of the 15 years we've known each other. I bet I can count once we both had a Thanksgiving off, together, at the same time. Missouri for the longest time had what were called Blue Laws, meaning stores couldn't be open on Sundays or holidays. I'm not exactly sure when that law changed, but it was around the time Super Walmarts started popping up all over rural Missouri. You talk to people here, now, in small town America, we would LOVE for that to be the case again. That's left, right, young, old, wealthy and poor.

But they pay time and a half! Sure. For the 6 hours your in the store, and the one hour lunch break they force you to take, off the clock. So really, you're getting paid the same amount. And even if you work a full shift at time and a half, they cut your hours later in the week or the next week. It's typical at Lowe's (my previous employer), Walmart (GF's previous employer, years ago) , Best Buy (GF's sister current employer as a dept. manager). The time and a half line is BS in big retail. I'm sure some do it right. But most of the Big Dogs do not. Not to mention, some Kmart's a few years back threatened termination to anyone not willing to work Thanksgiving. The employees are just warm bodies. That's all.

I'm not naive. There's certain necessities in life that require a store open. People need to travel, so a gas station needs to be open. People will need medicine, diapers, baby formula, a gallon of milk, so I don't think it's too much to ask for a grocery store or big box store to be open a portion of the day. Police, fireman, EMT's, highway department, well, that's the job and to be expected. But the low wage workforce has been absolutely exploited by big business, under the banner of "BIG savings" and "Door Busters". I think many of these low wage workers would understand the need for cutting their holiday short or not having one at all to provide a necessary service, like ringing out a gallon of milk or pack of diapers. But I think they're getting pretty fed up with the bait and switch "holiday" pay, and the lost day so they can get trampled and talked to like ****, so some hoity toity schmuck can save $50 on a BluRay player.

What this country needs is a large scale, low wage workers revolt. And I for one hope it happens.

I used to work at a movie theater, and my friend still manages one. We would have to come in for one of the "major" holidays every year. On thanksgiving we had a bunch of people, while checking out say "it's a shame you guys have to work today". My friend, the manager, would usually respond with "well, you're here..."

On the flip side, we had a few people who would always thank the staff for being open, which goes over far better.

Why are a lot of people assuming that family is around for everyone? Close everything and there is going to be a lot of alone depressed people, just because you may be so lucky does not mean everyone else is.....Enjoy YOUR time no matter how that is. If that is working and making extra cash or shopping DO what YOU want to. Just because that is what YOU do on thanksgiving does not mean everyone else has to. :deadhorse::drinks:

Worked every holiday on the books when I worked at Blockbuster. Now the majority of my customers (manufacturing) run 24/7, 365 and I do occasionally work the holidays. Would I rather be home? Yes. But it's my job and what puts food on the table so I b*tch about it and ultimately suck it up. Someone has to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The double standard is nothing short of sad when it comes to defining who should work.

Someone needs gas like that kid needs that video game his mom can finally afford because of the deal. Who are you/we to decide what people 'need'?

I remember working retail and food service. I remember working the hours I didn't really want to and I remember how much the money helped.

People don't like their situation, find another job. Big business has incredible educational opportunities if you can get into the companies... even if it means mail room or making copies.

That's why I don't throw a fit just because I put in a 60 or 80 hour week. It's my livelihood and if I don't like it I can make a change at my own discretion.

I'm sorry. I just don't get why people complain about being employed or their employer. Improve your life if you don't like it.

I have worked every holiday in the US,(not in retail), and would do it all over again ... in fact, I would volunteer

I guess I am one of those folks that really does not need an "event," to make a day special with my family.

I work for a large retail chain. Were not open past 4:00 on Thanksgiving however if you work the holiday and have five days that week you essentially get paid double time and a half.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I skimmed through these posts so I apologize if this has been mentioned.

I think if stores would honor their "doorbuster sales" all day on Friday as well as online, it would allow consumers to shop all day Friday rather than trying to be the first one in a certain store. I know that some stores offer rain checks on certain items, but I don't think they do it for every item.

Either way I couldn't care less as I shop online 99% of the time as it's just easier to do.

The double standard is nothing short of sad when it comes to defining who should work.

Someone needs gas like that kid needs that video game his mom can finally afford because of the deal. Who are you/we to decide what people 'need'?

I remember working retail and food service. I remember working the hours I didn't really want to and I remember how much the money helped.

People don't like their situation, find another job. Big business has incredible educational opportunities if you can get into the companies... even if it means mail room or making copies.

That's why I don't throw a fit just because I put in a 60 or 80 hour week. It's my livelihood and if I don't like it I can make a change at my own discretion.

I'm sorry. I just don't get why people complain about being employed or their employer. Improve your life if you don't like it.
pretty much sums it up for me also Dan

Back