Tiger Woods & 2018 Ryder Cup

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Should he be a captain's pick? Think he will be a member of the team? What say you THPers?

Is there no way he can earn a spot other than captains pick?

I don't think he'll need to be a captains pick. He's very close to being in the top 8 as we sit currently and he still has some time to make up that little bit of ground. I think he makes it without one.

Now if he doesn't get the spot somehow I do think he'll be a captains pick, he has less than half the amount of events as all of the other players in the top 12 and he's got just as many points as them. He's in great form, unless something drastic happens with his game we'll see him playing for Team USA. And I can't wait!!!

• Admin
Is there no way he can earn a spot other than captains pick?

Yes, I believe he can still earn a spot technically, but its an uphill climb.

He should be involved in some capacity, whether or not hes playing or not. I'd definitely be more interested if he was playing though and don't think he would generally hurt the team all that much.

He should be involved in some capacity, whether or not hes playing or not. I'd definitely be more interested if he was playing though and don't think he would generally hurt the team all that much.

he is already a vice captain.

If his putting clicks then absolutely.

• Admin
I don't think he'll need to be a captains pick. He's very close to being in the top 8 as we sit currently and he still has some time to make up that little bit of ground. I think he makes it without one.

Now if he doesn't get the spot somehow I do think he'll be a captains pick, he has less than half the amount of events as all of the other players in the top 12 and he's got just as many points as them. He's in great form, unless something drastic happens with his game we'll see him playing for Team USA. And I can't wait!!!

Isnt he in 39th currently and has a lot of active players ahead? I think he is going to need nothing but top 10s with a win or 2 to get in automatically right?

Isnt he in 39th currently and has a lot of active players ahead? I think he is going to need nothing but top 10s with a win or 2 to get in automatically right?

Don’t majors count double during a Ryder Cup year? I would say he doesn’t unless he starts really turning that putter around and starts seriously contending on the back nine without choking it away

if he gets 2 wins and a bunch of top 10's the rest of the season, I don't care if that will qualify him, he will get picked.

Instagram (or someone) lied to me today! I saw an image and he was like ranked 11th on that list. I just checked and sure enough, you're right! Hmmmmm, yeah I don't know if he will make the top 8. Isn't it top 8 then 4 captain's picks?

he is already a vice captain.

That is true.. so I will still go with.. I would be more interested if he was playing and I don't think he would be detrimental to the team.... so yes he should be a captain's pick.

That's what I thought too. My take is that it would be hard to justify picking him as a captain's pick absent a win between now and then. I'm a fan and he has been better than I expected during this comeback, but really, he's been inconsistent. There have been flashes of great play, but I think it would be tough to justify him as a pick right now even looking at only this year. That said, I really hopes he steps it up and makes it on his own or forces Furyk to pick him playing great for the rest of the summer.

That's what I thought too. My take is that it would be hard to justify picking him as a captain's pick absent a win between now and then. I'm a fan and he has been better than I expected during this comeback, but really, he's been inconsistent. There have been flashes of great play, but I think it would be tough to justify him as a pick right now even looking at only this year. That said, I really hopes he steps it up and makes it on his own or forces Furyk to pick him playing great for the rest of the summer.

It’s going to be hard to say no though I have a feeling. Some serious talent ahead of him right now though.

No, unless he turns his game around and becomes better. If he played like early in the year, then definitely good enough for a captain's pick. But he's playing mediocre right now, IMO. I'd support his role as an assistant captain though.

~Rock

Agreed, but the biggest factor I think will be how he plays over the next 3 months. If he makes a run in the FedEx playoffs or even shows some good form with some top 10's in there I think Furyk takes him. While my first post was wrong (based on being lied to by the internet) I was right that he has half the events compared to the others on the list so that alone shows that his form is recent and pretty freakin good to even get inside the top 40 at this point. A couple more top 5 finishes between now and playoffs will get him even closer, another top 5 finish in a playoff event would damn near do it. Man I am ever the optimist when TW is involved! I really want to see him on this team. I also think he's different in terms of his relationship with the guys on the team since his last playing appearance. I think that'll definitely help him in team play. In the past he wasn't a favorite for these guys to partner up with.

If he continues to play similar to the rest of the season so far (outside of the U.S. Open) I think he'll get picked. He's been one bad round away in a couple of tournaments from winning and shows flashes of great play. I think if he keeps that up over the next few months he'll be picked for it.

He gets a spot regardless if he wins before then. He is on the team with a Captains Pick.

He gets a spot regardless if he wins before then. He is on the team with a Captains Pick.

I'd take him over Spieth right now. OMG.....I can't believe I just typed that.

But I would.

But I would.

giphy.gif

Should is a popularity / fan drawing question and I denfinitely think he will be!!!

It’s going to be hard to say no though I have a feeling. Some serious talent ahead of him right now though.

Agreed, but the biggest factor I think will be how he plays over the next 3 months. If he makes a run in the FedEx playoffs or even shows some good form with some top 10's in there I think Furyk takes him. While my first post was wrong (based on being lied to by the internet) I was right that he has half the events compared to the others on the list so that alone shows that his form is recent and pretty freakin good to even get inside the top 40 at this point. A couple more top 5 finishes between now and playoffs will get him even closer, another top 5 finish in a playoff event would damn near do it. Man I am ever the optimist when TW is involved! I really want to see him on this team. I also think he's different in terms of his relationship with the guys on the team since his last playing appearance. I think that'll definitely help him in team play. In the past he wasn't a favorite for these guys to partner up with.

But I would.

I agree with all of these. There is definitely a lot of talent between him and being in one of those bubble spots, but Furyk is going to have a hard time saying no. And it's going to be even harder if Tiger continues to show some form over the next three months. Jake - I'm with you in thinking that his relationship with these guys is a lot different than it used to be, so I think it would be a blast to see him out there really engaged and pumped to play (as opposed to the robot, aloof Tiger that used to show up at Ryder Cups).

It will be interesting to see whether Spieth hangs on to one of the automatic spots. I suspect he will and he's been phenomenal in Ryder Cups so far, but man does he look off lately. I read today that he hasn't entered a final round this year less than 6 shots off the lead and it looks to me like he's getting frustrated and checking out at soon as things start to head south. EDIT: I just looked up Spieth's finishes this year. Since his Sunday charge that came up short at the Masters, he has gone: Cut, T41, T21, T32, Cut, Cut, T42.

I just don't see it as a great use of a spot, but I do think as an assistant captain it could be ok.

No and shouldn't be. He's shown flashes but hasn't done enough yet to prove he's "back" and will help not hurt the team.

Back