Blades Vs Cavity Back

I think if you have a good amount of swing speed you can use blades no problem. The mishits are not as punishing with some oomph behind it. If you struggle in the swing speed department you should stick to something with alittle more help on the off center hits to help you retain some distance on those
Again serious question. How much is enough swing speed. 60 mph, 70 mph, 90 mph.

Just curious

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It seems that there is a weird undercurrent espoused by some in this thread that a better player plays blades. True, there are many lower handicap players that play blades but that is because blades are more comfortable for them. There are low handicap players that play cavity back or even GI irons. Simply, a smarter player plays what is best for them. Period. This may be SGI; this may be blades or cavity backs. Ultimately, it is the club that when you look down at it behind the ball, you feel confident and swing your best.

And if two players line up from 175 yards with a bucket of balls - one with a set of MBs and the other with a set of GI irons - and the GI player is consistently and demonstrably closer to the flag, the GI player is the better ball striker. Using blades can't be an excuse or a crutch.

Use what you like and enjoy your time out on the course.

/end of rant

Last edited:
Well today I was carrying the ball 180 yards with the 4i. Spin around 4-5000 with a 10 yards roll.

If my old swing flaws spring their heads up my yardages drop to 120 -140 yards.

For tackling game improvement for my game it has definitely helped. Also the stinger from mishits aren't as severe as I feared. But it has lead to me having a looser grip aka Sam Snead which is increasing my swing speed.

I swing the 4i 90 mph and the PW in the 60's

The short irons could be my gamers today. But the Mid to long irons still need some ironing out of swing glitches.

With serious practice they should be permanently in the bag by spring break.

PGA PRO INSTRUCTIONS NOT INCLUDED.

P. S. But highly recommended

Again serious question. How much is enough swing speed. 60 mph, 70 mph, 90 mph.

Just curious

probbaly something you would look into while getting fitted (another reason why you should get fit) you and your fitter should be able to gauge by your mishits how much distance you are losing. If it is significant then maybe you should look at a different iron choice

On a side note. The biggest change in my swing evolution is shortening my back swing. The Blades have zero tolerance for a sloppy take away.

Well today I was carrying the ball 180 yards with the 4i. Spin around 4-5000 with a 10 yards roll.

If my old swing flaws spring their heads up my yardages drop to 120 -140 yards.

For tackling game improvement for my game it has definitely helped. Also the stinger from mishits aren't as severe as I feared. But it has lead to me having a looser grip aka Sam Snead which is increasing my swing speed.

I swing the 4i 90 mph and the PW in the 60's

The short irons could be my gamers today. But the Mid to long irons still need some ironing out of swing glitches.

With serious practice they should be permanently in the bag by spring break.

PGA PRO INSTRUCTIONS NOT INCLUDED.

P. S. But highly recommended

35-40% decrease in distance loss on the misses?
Hope your course does not have a lot of water short brother, or it will be an expensive day in golf balls. :D

probbaly something you would look into while getting fitted (another reason why you should get fit) you and your fitter should be able to gauge by your mishits how much distance you are losing. If it is significant then maybe you should look at a different iron choice
Okay. Good answer.

My fitter gave me a glare and told me it would be a very bad option. ...

20 handicappers need not apply.

But I have been hitting the range like a middle weight on the speed bag.

So really my results might not represent the norm. ...

When I would practice once or maybe twice a year. Not kidding.

The SGI Callaway ' s always were a trusted friend to help my once a month or two rounds of golf be a merry ride on the golf cart.

I'm don't think my blades would tolerate prolonged absences from practice and playing golf.

Hope your course does not have a lot of water short brother, or it will be an expensive day in golf balls. :D
That's why the XR Pro's are still in first place for the Prom.

But love the gentle dig.

But love the gentle dig.

Definitely not a dig. Its a big number in the loss column and at the courses we play THP Events at in your area, water in front of greens is very common.

But love the gentle dig.

A 60 yard distance loss is no gentle dig.

Really not surprising. At least the Internet golfers can appreciate the honest truth.

These are Blades above my handicap.

I'm shooting for the Moon.

But also honestly my ball striking of a cup face iron is now almost impeccable.

Blades are pushing my game in the direction I intended to go.

Lessons. Feedback. Video. Etc.

Maybe I'll fail.

But for now.

Golf or die trying.

Definitely not a dig. Its a big number in the loss column and at the courses we play THP Events at in your area, water in front of greens is very common.
Love following along. Wishing some day to join you inside the ropes. Iron play is crucial in my neck of the woods as you can well attest.

Every green is guarded by water or sand traps, ocean breezes or some other diabolic invention by the course designers.

Leading to my narrow focus on improving my ball striking. Primary objective.

Next stop chipping and putting.

But also honestly my ball striking of a cup face iron is now almost impeccable.

If you truly are striking your XR pros "impeccably" then you shouldn't be struggling with blades. Iron striking is iron striking. You can't strike one club impeccably and all of a sudden lose 60 yards with another iron. I'm going to guess you're vastly over rating how well you believe you are striking your other irons. I'm not saying this to be mean or an attack on your game, it just doesn't add up.

If you truly are striking your XR pros "impeccably" then you shouldn't be struggling with blades. Iron striking is iron striking. You can't strike one club impeccably and all of a sudden lose 60 yards with another iron. I'm going to guess you're vastly over rating how well you believe you are striking your other irons. I'm not saying this to be mean or an attack on your game, it just doesn't add up.

I don't know, I think impeccable ball striking to one person could be completely different than impeccable ball striking to someone else. So it's possible that for you he's not striking it impeccable, but that doesn't mean it's not impeccable to him. It's just different opinions.

And mishits are mishits. As almost everybody in golf agrees, mishits with blades are more severe than mishits with cavity back/GI/SGI irons. In my experiences the results don't have as drastic of a penalty (mine were usually 15-20 yard penalty on mishits) as he may be seeing, but that's just my own experiences.

Exactly. I think the nuts and bolts of this reality get lost on some of the blade enthusiasts.

When I demo'd the Apex CF 16 Pros a couple of weekends ago I was seeing @30 yard distance difference between shots (165 vs. 135). Compare that to the day I said I couldn't tell where the mishit was with my i25s, which was @10 yard variance (150 vs. 140). That's ball speed retention and forgiveness at play. It matters.

I don't know, I think impeccable ball striking to one person could be completely different than impeccable ball striking to someone else. So it's possible that for you he's not striking it impeccable, but that doesn't mean it's not impeccable to him. It's just different opinions.

And mishits are mishits. As almost everybody in golf agrees, mishits with blades are more severe than mishits with cavity back/GI/SGI irons.

I strongly disagree. In terms of ball striking, I believe that is universal. Impeccable ball striking is the same across the board. One may strike one iron better than another, and strike one iron much better for themselves (which the use of something like a GI iron vs Blade may strongly aid in that)...but a poor strike is a poor strike. Just as an impeccable strike is just that, an impeccable strike. That won't change no matter who it is. To claim you are striking one set of irons impeccably is a pretty bold statement IMO, especially when you're using that as a reason that something like XR pro's are now going to hinder your progress of getting better because of it.

So wait...which is it then? Have MB's had major strides in performance and technology like you were arguing before, or do they rarely go out of performance? You can't have it both ways. I get it, you play blades and have a chip on your shoulder for doing so, but your arguments on why they are somehow better are all over the place

Its both...'Some Blades' that were fantastic designs still stand the test of time. Also Blade technology over the last few years has also become very advanced.

Sorry you don't get it...no chip on my shoulder either (thanks), my game is better with Blades.

Love this thread.....:popcorn:

Its both...'Some Blades' that were fantastic designs still stand the test of time. Also Blade technology over the last few years has also become very advanced.

Sorry you don't get it...no chip on my shoulder either (thanks), my game is better with Blades.

I don't think it is that he doesn't get it. I think most of us would agree that advancements in GI/CB irons have come at a much more rapid rate than blades. At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do with a blade. It is nice they are becoming marginally more forgiving, but no one is going to confuse them with being easy to hit. I think it is as simple as that.

Maybe you've answered this already, but why do you think guys like Lee Westwood, Jordan Speith, etc. All considered great ball strikers, choose to play non-blade style irons?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PZG, really interested in your answer. It's an honest question.

I strongly disagree. In terms of ball striking, I believe that is universal. Impeccable ball striking is the same across the board. One may strike one iron better than another, and strike one iron much better for themselves (which the use of something like a GI iron vs Blade may strongly aid in that)...but a poor strike is a poor strike. Just as an impeccable strike is just that, an impeccable strike. That won't change no matter who it is. To claim you are striking one set of irons impeccably is a pretty bold statement IMO, especially when you're using that as a reason that something like XR pro's are now going to hinder your progress of getting better because of it.

Impeccable ball striking is completely subjective in my opinion. If someone feels they are striking it impeccably because they only mishit 1 out of 10, then that's how they feel. Just as if someone feels they are striking it impeccably because they only mishit 4 out of 10, then that's how they feel. Obviously the true definition of impeccable ball striking would mean that they'd never mishit a shot, but that's just not a realistic expectation. People have different views on what's impeccable to them. You can't always go by the literal definition when someone describes something because it's always going to be opinion based.

It's just like two people talking about what's beautiful. There is no right answer as people will always view things differently.

This thread is confusing

PZG, really interested in your answer. It's an honest question.

Don't know...ask them, perhaps they are getting paid BooKoo to play what they play

I think this debunks the miss hit loss of Yds claim with my blades...

Today was a good round, what was evident again, I can strike toe shots and still hit greens. Hogans are some of the best with blade on blade design. I was golfing with my wife and she helped hold the iron in the picture while on the fw after the shot, still looking at the shot ddirection / green. What I will show is the Hogans preform very well on miss hits...just as well as cavities, partly because I am striking through the shot to a finish regardless of impact point on the face.

Hole 8: 7i / 164y pin tucked back right, behind right bunker, aiming for 6ft left of pin between the bunkers...I strike a toe shot to fly on a line 6 foot right of pin still to carry bunkers!... at hit the green...not much yards lost with a blade, and I can still go at it confidently.
011_zpskvizr0yr.jpg

Here is were the ball ended up pin high...
013_zpsghtla2vl.jpg

Here is a FW shot hole 15 166y out 7i again with a horrible toe shot, 'way out' on the toe, perhaps the worst off center strike you could pull off...
016_zpsdlylmclz.jpg

Here is the result...
017_zpsycazrjqj.jpg

If you swing/strike through the ball to a good finish blades preform just as good if not better...the shot is just holding its line and am not punished much because of my swing through the ball. I can hit all over the face with Hogans and still hit greens. They are soft feel not harsh (even with 6.5 shafts!), very receptive at impact due to Endo soft forging. Blades teach you to strike through the shot, you can flight the ball well. They are also better at distance control, in regards to, you don't nuke it long on pured shots like cavities do. I just think cavities allow you to get away with more and you end up slapping shots with sloppy swings, hoping next years model is the cure
Shot 74 from the tips, 4 birdies, missed very close birdie putts on 8, 10. After the birdie putt holed above on 15, it was getting dark and posted +4 on the last 3 holes rushing around to get done. I should have tee'd off earlier...Cally GBB/757 was doing well setting up many good approach shots.

I am pretty sure they can play anything in there sponsors line up PZG. They choose to play those irons because they like them and they get the best results from them. Which is what everyone should play with, whatever the heck they like.

Back