I have how much $ in my bag?

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
My Fiancee and I were jsut chatting golf last night. We are both new players and we both purchased equipment this year.

I went the way of finding what worked for me in the 2-3 year old model range (new clubs, just older models) and she went anohter direction.

I decided on 2-3 year old models with the thought of saving a few bucks, because teh latest and greatest isn't going to change my game much.

I then calculated how much $ I have in my bag and almost fell off the couch.

Driver XR16 - $300
3W and 5W XR1 -$400
Ping G30 Irons 4-PW $500
Cleveland RTX3 Wedges 46,52,60 - $450
Odyssey Red Ball Putter - $180
Garmin S60 Watch - $350

That's $2180. I thought my bag had $1000 in it, including the bag. Wow.

What I purchased and pulled from my bag this year
3 Infomoercial Wedges and fairway wood - $350
Odyssey 2 Ball putter (which may have met an untimely demise due to no fault of its own) - $200

That's another $550.

Good lord this is an expensive hobby and I don't even have top of the line stuff. A friend who golfs told me I would be putting $2K into my bag, before I bought stuff, and I thought he was nuts.

I have how much $ in my bag?...

I refuse to even think about this, because, well,... Might also depend on how many updates happen to my bag during a season. LOL

well thanks to thp i don't have very much $ invested in my bag. the only thing i had to pay for was the putter!

but when i had gear in there that i bought, it was probably around $1,500 - $2,000 since i don't usually buy brand new.

well thanks to thp i don't have very much $ invested in my bag. the only thing i had to pay for was the putter!

but when i had gear in there that i bought, it was probably around $1,500 - $2,000 since i don't usually buy brand new.

THP Events are fun : )

Gotta buy used or find the deals

It’s not cheap !

I have £1240 worth of driver / 3 wood, 2 rescues sitting in my spare bedroom as I’m mid lessons and don’t want to ‘ruin’ them in my weak minded head. If I start off hitting them badly they will be ‘broken’ as far as my mind is concerned.

Agree with Rambler...I try not to think about golf investments after completing the transaction.

Delete this thread before my wife sees it and starts trying to figure out what I have.

Delete this thread before my wife sees it and starts trying to figure out what I have.
My biggest fear is that my other half will sell my clubs for what I told her they cost.

i'm going to pretend I didn't see this thread today

The reality is that yes we have a good chunk of change invested in our gear, but they can last years. Sure there's the desire to have the new shiny and clubs are a little hotter year over year, but all of it is quite serviceable. so break that up over say a 3-5 year period, outside of balls (which we ALL can find buckets when looking for our own) or grips, clubs are actually built to last.

I recently went through this comparison when I was deciding if I wanted to get back into competitive bowling again. A ball these days are only good for so many games. If you roll/compete a lot that could mean only 6 months of use before a major resurface is needed, which doesn't really returns it back to its top form. When I competed heavily, I would cary 6-9 balls with me depending on conditions. At $200 a ball... that math over the course of 3-5 years is just silly. Now I know I'm comparing casual golf to competitive bowling, but the net of it is, it's all about perspective and what you get out of it.

I'll never think about it, or talk about it to the Doc (wife).

Don't ask questions if you don't want the answers. That's my philosophy.

Driver-Cally Xr-260
3W-received from THP
Hyb-received form THPer
irons-received form THP
Wedges-1 received from THP-200 for other 2
Putter-received from THP.

So $460 spent on my bag. Thanks to multiple great THP events.

I don't worry to much about it, if I can afford it and need/want it I get, but otherwise no purchase. I use CPO quite a bit, some great amazing deals to be had there!!!!! I always try to trade in stuff when I purchase new, lessons the sting a bit.
Now what was I pondering, oh a new driver!!! :bulgy-eyes:

When I did the math and told her the number, she said something along the lines of "I haven't spent anywhere near that on my gear"

Oh yeah?

$300 Driver
$200 3 Wood
$900 Irons
$200 putter
$350 Garmin S60

That is $1950!

BUt liek some have said, this gear is for several years and at the rate I play, the per round costs are almost nothing. Balls, on the other hand........

We adding just for expensive:
Driver:$300
Shaft for driver: $100
3w: $200
Hybrid: $100
Irons: $1050
Shafts for irons and install: $500
Wedges: $450
Putter: $300
Bag: Christmas present
Ranger finder: present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I keep all my clubs including my irons covered.
Its also why my older set were knock-offs (or clones) and why that is still a very worthwhile choice for quality product if from the right place.
This is also why very many people game the same sets for many years.

Well I'm basically leasing my current driver and my current irons were bought gently used for a great price (think PGA trade in value), 3w, wedges, and Hybrid were bought dirt cheap on a CPO sale. My Maxfli carry bag was bought for 29.99 on a Dicks Flash Sale last year, my Tour Edge cart bag was bought for 59.99.

But then we get to my Circle T....

And the mountain of other bags full of drivers, putters, wedges, Hybrids and FW's....

I can say that I didn't pay much more than PGA trade in value plus trade in bonus for most of it though.

Can't forget that I'm also equipping 3 youth golfers.

Shoot me now before I add it all up.

Hang around THP long enough and you'll get some great clubs through events or Sweeps :act-up: The only money I have in my bag right now is golf balls and tees.

How much money I have stuck in my bag doesn't bother me too much. How much I've spent on equipment that's no longer in my bag is what scares the living hell out of me!

I dislike you for bringing this thread up...

Some quick math put me at $2300 for clubs in the bag, before I add in the other stuff I carry( range finder, gloves, balls etc...). Probably that number again for clubs that were out of play that I recently traded in for a fraction of their purchase price. Then i get to golf clothes... between shirts, pants, shorts, hats and DEAR GOD , Gore-Tex Rain gear, I'm pushing a very large number without even swinging the club! I hope to never ever have a proper accounting of this stuff....

Golf certainly ain't cheap. Thanks to a THP event, I actually currently have more money spent in spare clubs than I do in my gamers. And the setup very, very, very likely to come sometime soon will be SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive (as in FREE) than my current bag! :smile-big: THP rules!!! :rockon:

If I do this in Canadian Dollars:

Driver + Shaft: $390
FW: $140
Hybrids: $0
Irons: $1200
Wedges: $260
Putter: $2000

Total: $3990. Hmm I may have a problem here lol.

How much money I have stuck in my bag doesn't bother me too much. How much I've spent on equipment that's no longer in my bag is what scares the living hell out of me!
This is true for me too!!! I can't imagine how much I have invested in drivers, fairway woods and hybrids over the past couple years, none of which I still own today.

Back