The Scratch Golfer Awakens

you need to break up that 3 hours

Shoot - only work on full swing two days a week. The other three days is short game. Not just simple and easy chips. But buried lie, fluffy lie, down hill to a tight pin, uphill to a back pin. Low runner and lofted shots with the same club. Just practice short game and maybe the hidden hand eye coordinator will show itself, if it's there.

If I were you I'd flip that. 3 hours chipping and putting and 1 hour on your full swing.
He's in the middle of a swing make over.

He's in the middle of a swing make over.

But still says he's hitting 60-70% of greens from the fairway. I can only go off what he's telling us. And if it's truthful, it sounds like the full swing isn't anywhere close to the problem.

I think you guys are crazy.
Johan is hitting 70% of fairways, playing musclebacks with no issues and has said his short game is the big issue.
I wouldnt spend any time working on full swings and devote all of it to short game for the time being. If his short game matches the rest after that time, he could legitimately be a scratch golfer.

If I were you I'd flip that. 3 hours chipping and putting and 1 hour on your full swing.
Okay. New years resolution. Done and done.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shoot - only work on full swing two days a week. The other three days is short game. Not just simple and easy chips. But buried lie, fluffy lie, down hill to a tight pin, uphill to a back pin. Low runner and lofted shots with the same club. Just practice short game and maybe the hidden hand eye coordinator will show itself, if it's there.

Still looking for mine :bulgy-eyes:

If short game is your weakness, talk to a teaching professional to find out what is good & bad in that area of your game. There is zero point in going out and practicing the wrong things. I know from experience you can play halfway decent golf with huge faults. The more you play with them the harder they will be to reverse and do correctly.

That said, my greatest improvement came from a year where I would spend an hour or so every day chipping/putting around a practice green trying to get up and down from different areas and then hitting shots from 100 yds and in into the wind, then back down wind. I would hit 20 balls one way (5 from 100, 5 from 80, 5 from 60, 5 from 40, 5 from 20) and then work back the other in similar fashion.

For me, I am best with a wedge in my hand, but still need to practice or I get rusty. Good luck

But still says he's hitting 60-70% of greens from the fairway. I can only go off what he's telling us. And if it's truthful, it sounds like the full swing isn't anywhere close to the problem.
Played a lot of baseball. So hitting a target with a bat or a club wasn't that hard. Now making a golf swing. That was another story.

I am also fairly tall and built. So I could muscle the ball a long way with out any lag or even a proper release.

For example. Now with my new proper golf swing I have greater distant with every club using 10-25% of the effort without the mishits, compared to a 80 % swing lost in the woods.

So now is when I am looking ahead. Okay. The current swing is starting to take root. What's next. How to achieve it. Where to focus my time.

Which we all understand is always limited.

Johan is hitting 70% of fairways, playing musclebacks with no issues and has said his short game is the big issue.
I wouldnt spend any time working on full swings and devote all of it to short game for the time being. If his short game matches the rest after that time, he could legitimately be a scratch golfer.

well that is 70% FIR's is from practicing 3 hours a day on it, if that goes to 0 hours, then 70% would easily go to 25%

Okay but exactly how do you shave 4-6 strokes a year.

Chipping & putting unless you think that your gonna be GIR on every hole

well that is 70% FIR's is from practicing 3 hours a day on it, if that goes to 0 hours, then 70% would easily go to 25%
I guess that's also one of my concerns. How to continue to improve but not lose the improvements I've made.

Unfortunately, more time devoted to golf isn't possible.

Wifey Kidz, work he he

No chance. Even going down slightly (which is all that happens, people play too), these are PGA Tour quality numbers.

I guess that's also one of my concerns. How to continue to improve but not lose the improvements I've made.

Unfortunately, more time devoted to golf isn't possible.

Wifey Kidz, work he he

3 hours a day is a lot, i am willing to bet there are few here with that kind of time.

For instance...If you can go 430yds on a 430yd hole in 2 strokes but it takes more than 2 additional strokes to get in to the hole, then your practice time is not being used effectively

No chance. Even going down slightly (which is all that happens, people play too), these are PGA Tour quality numbers.

i get what you are saying...:angel:

Obviously, 10 weeks from 20 to scratch is NOT going to happen, at all, ever....unless you just cheat. The talent/consistency level between the two are pretty immense.

2 to 4 years of TRUE practice and a plan, it's possible, but not easy. At my best, in college and right after college, I was practicing ALL aspects of my game for HOURS and hours each week, on TOP of playing. When I got down to scratch, practice WAS like a second job, and I never got down into the plus range.

You have to be brutally honest with yourself. The TIME it will take to get there from a 20, will be a lot. I'm not saying you can't do it, but without a plan, you won't. This is going to have to be a calendared, structured type of plan and you'll have to stick with it. You'll have to break yourself down, and start from the ground up or your old swing habits probably won't allow you to achieve your goal. I'm not trying to sound negative, but if you're a 20, then your foundation of your swing will need to change, because if you're a 20, then natural athletic golfing ability isn't in you.

IF you can't (or won't) tear your swing down, then you need to dial in your short game to 100 times it's current level or practice. That's the fastest way you'll lower you handicap, without a doubt.

Good luck!

I am trying to enjoy my Reuben and I keep reading this truth you're posting. And think anyone with his skills could spend a few weeks on short and putting. That should do it!
---------------
But let's put this into perspective. Not every great ball striker can be a great player. Not everyone has the knack to get to the scratch status no matter how hard they work.

Every facet of the game must be on point to get to scratch. And it has to be that way for a good bit of time. There is no secret pill or formula. It takes time, money and talent. Miss any of those and you don't have a prayer.

Obviously, 10 weeks from 20 to scratch is NOT going to happen, at all, ever....unless you just cheat. The talent/consistency level between the two are pretty immense.

2 to 4 years of TRUE practice and a plan, it's possible, but not easy. At my best, in college and right after college, I was practicing ALL aspects of my game for HOURS and hours each week, on TOP of playing. When I got down to scratch, practice WAS like a second job, and I never got down into the plus range.

You have to be brutally honest with yourself. The TIME it will take to get there from a 20, will be a lot. I'm not saying you can't do it, but without a plan, you won't. This is going to have to be a calendared, structured type of plan and you'll have to stick with it. You'll have to break yourself down, and start from the ground up or your old swing habits probably won't allow you to achieve your goal. I'm not trying to sound negative, but if you're a 20, then your foundation of your swing will need to change, because if you're a 20, then natural athletic golfing ability isn't in you.

IF you can't (or won't) tear your swing down, then you need to dial in your short game to 100 times it's current level or practice. That's the fastest way you'll lower you handicap, without a doubt.

Good luck!

Real good stuff here of what it might take. I am on a path similar to this, but my goal in to get to single digits. and in my book 9.9 counts. I have been hitting the range for an hour a day 5x a week during my lunch breaks. I have seen my game really come alive in the last month. Johan you have the drive and that is important, I think an honest assessment of your current game and structured game plan could have you in single digits within a year or so.

The Scratch Golfer Awakens

This was my feeling. If his numbers are what they are from the tee and fairway, he's closer to a 10 than a 20. If can get some read ANY consistency around the green, he's now a 7 or so. Lower than that will be really hard, but I could see him getting into the 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would probably say years, the 10 week cycle sounds good but you will have to work on all components and dedicate the time necessary to practice on said components and everyone is different.

Real good stuff here of what it might take. I am on a path similar to this, but my goal in to get to single digits. and in my book 9.9 counts. I have been hitting the range for an hour a day 5x a week during my lunch breaks. I have seen my game really come alive in the last month. Johan you have the drive and that is important, I think an honest assessment of your current game and structured game plan could have you in single digits within a year or so.
Thanks for the kind words.

Now it's up to me to do the hard work.

This was my feeling. If his numbers are what they are from the tee and fairway, he's closer to a 10 than a 20. If can get some read ANY consistency around the green, he's now a 7 or so. Lower than that will be really hard, but I could see him getting into the 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be very pleased getting a 79 tomorrow. From any tee box.

I am trying to enjoy my Reuben and I keep reading this truth you're posting. And think anyone with his skills could spend a few weeks on short and putting. That should do it!
---------------
But let's put this into perspective. Not every great ball striker can be a great player. Not everyone has the knack to get to the scratch status no matter how hard they work.

Every facet of the game must be on point to get to scratch. And it has to be that way for a good bit of time. There is no secret pill or formula. It takes time, money and talent. Miss any of those and you don't have a prayer.
What about going from a 20 to a 10?

Is your pro only focusing on full swing lessons? If so, and that's where his comfort level is, then maybe look at short game specialty teachers like Stan Utley or James Sieckmann (or Dave Pelz). I think once you have a basic understanding of a finesse wedge swing, you can really start to put in the practice time to improve it. If you are looking for detailed practice plans, I know Sieckmann has them in his lessons (check out his website for details).

As far as putting goes, I highly recommend getting lessons from a SeeMore SPi instructor. It will really help even if you never use their putters. I assume you have trouble reading greens? Maybe do the Aimpoint green reading?

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Played a lot of baseball. So hitting a target with a bat or a club wasn't that hard. Now making a golf swing. That was another story.

I am also fairly tall and built. So I could muscle the ball a long way with out any lag or even a proper release.

For example. Now with my new proper golf swing I have greater distant with every club using 10-25% of the effort without the mishits, compared to a 80 % swing lost in the woods.

So now is when I am looking ahead. Okay. The current swing is starting to take root. What's next. How to achieve it. Where to focus my time.

Which we all understand is always limited.

this baseball information makes a lot of sense. at first, my thought was how the hell is your full swing that good but every other part of your game that bad? i, as a pudgy mid-30s unathletic white male with a desk job, assume you are like i am. the truth, it appears, is that you're an athlete. and we see many athletes who take to golf far quicker than the rest of us mortals. your build is probably helping as well. if you can hit 70% GIR, all you need to do is maintain that swing, maybe make some tweaks, but focus 90% of your time on short game. get automatic from 6' and in. when you practice chipping, pitching and sand shots, never hit the same shot back-to-back. and get short game lessons now before you ingrain bad habits that will be difficult to break later.

i was going to say it's impossible. but if you have the God-given athletic ability and hand-eye coordination i think you do, 10 weeks won't happen but 12 months may. keep us posted!

Back