Club Release Cycle Question

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question and its hard to put into words the right way so stay with me here. Some people struggle with yearly release cycles and prefer companies that have used the 2 year cycle. For those that prefer that allotted time, if your favorite company changed to annually or 18 months, would you choose to go in a different direction?

I really look forward to thoughts on this as I'm one who's always been in the "more the merrier" camp, could be a fun conversation.

I pay attention to release cycles more because of interest in the industry than anything else. I’ll buy equipment regardless of release cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm with Jman, the more the merrier for me. Release cycles dont really matter much to me since I end up trying everything once from my preferred OEM just to get the experience with the product.

It still boils down to whether you want it and are willing to spend the money on the new item. I have gotten a new driver every year for the last 3years. I don't think it would change how I view a company.

I know this does not answer your question but I like to see and learn about new equipment anytime. Release cycles really mean nothing to me

I don't really care about release cycles that much. I do however think that 2 years is about the right amount of time between product lines unless there is some major breakthrough/improvement

i'm with Jman, the more the merrier for me. Release cycles dont really matter much to me since I end up trying everything once from my preferred OEM just to get the experience with the product.

I’m with them. Choices are not a bad thing.

The only thing that annoys me about release cycles is the trickling out of small little options or new colors.

If there's going to be a regular, low spin, draw, and max version of a club, and it's going to come in black, silver, or raw just release all of them at the same time.

I don't get upset when companies come out with genuinely new products frequently, but if I really wanted a raw wedge and it's only available 3 months after the release of the "regular" version I can understand getting disappointed.

No favorite company so I'm always up for more releases. I won't game most of them but I like changing and buying so keep them coming.

No matter how often they are released, I only buy equipment when I need or want it. So release cycles are kind of irrelevant for someone like me that does not necessarily have to buy the latest and greatest. I have fun reading about the new equipment / tech though.

No matter how often they are released, I only buy equipment when I need or want it. So release cycles are kind of irrelevant for someone like me that does not necessarily have to buy the latest and greatest. I have fun reading about the new equipment / tech though.

I feel the same way. Instead of buying multiple clubs every year, now I'm just doing a fitting every 3-4 years and upgrading at that time.

I actually like the idea of being on the 2 year release, but stagger the offerings so GI is one year, and Players gear would be the next (in terms of irons). If I were buying new, I would much prefer that the product not be replaced in the lineup immediately.

In terms of moving to a 1 year or 18 month, if I am not in the market to buy, it wouldn't bother me.

My main question would be, with a longer release are the OEMs putting more work into the gear (more tech, more innovative thinking, more improvements), and releasing less offerings that maybe fall flat?

I lack willpower and desire the newest and greatest. It kind of kills me that my fairway wood and hybrid are not current offerings. I like the longer release cycles because money doesn't burn a hole in my pocket as quickly. If that means 24 months turns into 18 months, awesome.

Doesn't bother me in the least. As a matter of fact, I prefer it because that generally means the gear I'm looking at is going to be heavily discounted as it's now 1 or 2 cycles old.

Doesn’t bother me at all. I think the shorter release cycles irk the golfer who is trying to “keep up with the Jones” or needs to have the latest and greatest.

First off, engineering breakthroughs don't happen on a regular cadence. There is nothing magical about a certain cycle that guarantees innovation.

I have no doubt that the club OEMs have lots of new ideas based on new materials or manufacturing techniques, or have some that are waiting for improvements in those areas either in cost or reliability.

So for me, if there is a true innovation being first is best and being the only one with a superior technology for a long time is even better.

On the flip side a release that brings nothing more than a different look without tangible benefit is of little use to me regardless of the cycle. I understand the business pressure to have something fresh to try to keep revenues up, but in general I'm not interested.

I have a question and its hard to put into words the right way so stay with me here. Some people struggle with yearly release cycles and prefer companies that have used the 2 year cycle. For those that prefer that allotted time, if your favorite company changed to annually or 18 months, would you choose to go in a different direction?

I do respect companies that maintain long product lifespans.
For example, Ping offered the Eye 2/Eye 2+ as an in stock current model for about 15 years.
New Balance has had the 990 model running shoe within their line for about 35 years.
Long lifespans give a product model credibility, lets it achieve icon status, and increases profitability for the manufacturer, brand distributor, retailer etc....

Personally, I enjoy the options and more regular releases....keep the innovations coming if you ask me. Also makes it less costly to upgrade.

I would prefer longer release cycles, every 3-5yrs would be nice. I feel there would be more concrete knowledge of certain products that “are” good instead of a new set every year and try and guess based off of reviews of people golfing only a few months with the clubs. I’m the type of person that will stick with something for awhile. Also as a new golfer sorting through all the information on all the different clubs and trying to pick one is a nightmare since I don’t have any pro shops anywhere near me to try clubs out.

I really don't care when they release product. If I'm in the market, I'll take a look. How often OEM's release product doesn't change my purchasing habits.

No. They could move to a 6 month cycle for all I care. I dont look at golf equipment as an investment, it's a depreciable asset.

I don't base my loyalty on release cycles and choose to upgrade my equipment on my own schedule. When I am ready, I will pick up the latest and greatest from that category.

Part of me says just release new equipment asap because I like new and shiney, and part of me thinks to spread it out like Titleist does. I lean towards their cycle for the simple reason of Irons one year, woods the next, or maybe both once a year to fill the gap a bit instead of having to wait 2 full years for new irons.
I hate when something new comes out, i go get it, 3 months later into the golf season an updated version comes out and now I like that one more and hit it better but Mrs.Chefkritter and I dont always see eye to eye on only having a club 3 months. ??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It has become so much the norm to see club releases so often, I doubt I would notice. Have become numb to the whole thing.

Back