TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Actually excited about this release. I liked the M1 but need a bit more forgiveness for my "not so fresh" days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope TM has a good product here, but I personally feel that whoever came up with and let go to production that crown with the White/Black should be fired.

Actually if you read the review and the TM write-up on it, I think it is. Same composite crown design and low spin but higher launching and a lower COG. Granted it does not have the sliding weights but those are not really needed in this design. Its meant for us folks that really don't need extreme lower spin and the head is draw biased.

I have an Elements Chrome+ shaft all tipped and ready to slip into this head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The M2 really isn't a "new release" of technology, (to use JB speak), just the latest addition to TM's (still new) "M" Family.

Recent TM super-adjustability is so often underutilized, I think it makes very good sense for TM to drop the multiple slider mechanisms and offer the public a simpler model that costs less! I expect M2 performance to be much the same as that of the M1. (Maybe a bit more forgiving since the weight cannot be moved forward)

Of course, as always with a TM product, certain posters here will try to dismiss it as a "stripped down" M1, or "cheap" M1, but fact is, TM has done much the same thing before, (2015), with very good results, (i.e. same build quality and performance, just fewer bells and whistles, resulting in a lower price, and a better value for the consumer who never wanted or needed those adjustable features anyway!)

I applaud TM for offering the M2 Driver, and hopefully the clear coat paint peeling issues seen on some M1's will not be a concern with the new M2.

:bye:

Last edited:
I hope TM has a good product here, but I personally feel that whoever came up with and let go to production that crown with the White/Black should be fired.

Just goes to show "different strokes for different folks" as I love the Balck and White Crown!! IMHO

The M2 really isn't a "new release" of technology, (to use JB speak)....Just an addition to the "M" Family...

:bye:

Dude, I get that you love to push buttons, but c'mon.

I had a chance to hit the M1 and really liked it in the small sample I had. I'm also in the camp that thinks this is a great looking club. I think this is really a good addition, especially for someone like me that doesn't need or have the time to fine tune with all of the adjustments but I do think it is still a little higher priced than I expected. I thought maybe around $350 would have been a great price point.

I watched Crossfield's & Shiel's reviews of this driver and they were impressed with it from a performance standpoint. Both talked about how similar to the M1 it was and the main difference being that the adjustability is gone and basically its an M1 with the weight back. Both expressed similar sentiments to THPers as to the naming of the club.

Really looking forward to the PGA Show and for some THPers to get it in hand. It sounds like a bomber, just another perplexing name/release from TM.

Dude, I get that you love to push buttons, but c'mon.
I think he was saying in comparison to the m1. Now I could be completely wrong and giving him the benefit of the doubt hahaha.

My understanding is the m2 is the slightly more forgiving, less adjustable m1? Am I way off base or is that kinda close? I absolutely want to hit the entire line. They look great

I like that they added grooves/lines to the club face to lower spin to help counteract the affects of a further back COG. Very excited to try this out.

The naming/release was questionable but if this club is a little bit more forgiving version but similiar to the M1 I can see it working for a lot of people. I think the price is on the high side but the no upcharge shaft options somewhat makes up for that.

Haven't seen any info, but does anyone know if there will be a similar selection of shafts available for the fairway woods?

I think making the crown look exactly the same as the M1 was a brilliant move. That will help fight the perception some might have that this replaces the M1, rather than sit in with the rest of the family.

Love that they're backing off of "low and forward is good for everyone".

Will there be a "TP" version?

LB

No. With the last several drivers the TP version has essentially been a shaft upgrade. These have a number of no charge shaft upgrades.

RE: TP

RE: TP

With the last several drivers the TP version has essentially been a shaft upgrade.

This is incorrect for the AeroBurner TP; More open club face, flatter lie and a long hosel. Could be more; Pretty sure the head also comes in at a heaver weight.

I like that they added grooves/lines to the club face to lower spin to help counteract the affects of a further back COG. Very excited to try this out.
Grooves don't actually do anything for the spin if there is no grass in between you and the ball and it is dry.

I watched the Rick Shiels video of this last night and I liked the fact that due to the setup that Rick has in his M1, the M2 was actually very very close to how he plays his M1 and he took the shaft from his M1 and put it in the M2 so he was able to provide a pretty good comparison between them both, and as he expected, it gave him a very similar result as the M1

I suspect that the M2 will suit quite a lot of golfers, and hopefully I will be able to give it a try

I'm interested to see this in person today. For me I am more interested in the iron side of the release, but still looking forward to checking it out.

I have not watched the shiels video. Did he touch on the name at all? Just curious.

TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

I'm interested to see this in person today. For me I am more interested in the iron side of the release, but still looking forward to checking it out.

I have not watched the shiels video. Did he touch on the name at all? Just curious.

The couple of videos I watched (I actually don't know if it was him) made it seem like TM is definitely stressing that it's not a replacement, but another option for folks who want an "M" driver. That was the extent of what I remember hearing about naming

The couple of videos I watched (I actually don't know if it was him) made it seem like TM is definitely stressing that it's not a replacement, but another option for folks who want an "M" driver. That was the extent of what I remember hearing about naming
Cool, just curious. I know some got up and arms when it was discussed here so wondering if he touched on it. I think it's an issue at launch, but one that will fade in to the background.

Yes, he did touch on the naming of it but did stress that it was only his personal opinion that maybe it could have been better had they named it along the lines of M1 Burner / Aero / etc to make it clearer that the M2 was not a replacement for the M1

To a point I agree with this, but if TM go along with the same numbering with the next releases and call those M1-17 / M2-17 / etc then maybe it will help to keep the different lines separate but obvious as to what they are replacing

Cool, just curious. I know some got up and arms when it was discussed here so wondering if he touched on it. I think it's an issue at launch, but one that will fade in to the background.

I love that the crown looks the same as well - I think that will help hammer home the point that it's a different option and not a replacement.

I think it's tricky to just hit "reset", which it seems like TM is trying to do, without having a few inconsistencies. I think I'm pretty excited for the entire line for the first time in a while.

Back