Cobra KING F6 Irons - THP Review Thread

I was literally just thinking similar. I really believe (and have been seeing) the more that have gone and HIT these, the more that have come away seeing something totally different than what they expected to. I'll say it for the 1000th time, this is taking a progressive set to a design level that we haven't seen before, and more importantly, it works and blends.

The progressive set is what is really speaking to me...more so that any anticipated distance gains. While I enjoy the Apex very much, I've enjoyed playing a more player type irons in that 9, PW, AW slot in some sets of the past.

So, after mpeterson and I's little discussion in here on these in the preview thread (didn't realize that until now) I went to check out the no upcharge options on Cobra's site for this set, not what I expected given the stock Q4 Red-Tie and "KING F6 FST Flighted) lightweight options. For no up the KBS Tour, KBS Tour+, KBS Tour 90, KBS Tour 105, TT XP95, TT DG, and TT DG Pro. Moreover, shafts like C-Taper and C-Taper Lite are only a 96.00 up per set.

Seriously impressive, and a WIDE array they are willing to put into these.

I also mentioned in the other thread that I have pretty much concluded my data collection phase on these, and I've decided to put one of the sets of the new KBS Tour FLTD shafts we got in for review into these (as well as the F5's) to see some things as it pertains to the performance. Because I'll be totally honest, these are bordering on silly long for me, longer than my gamers, which is saying something.

Haha - I had the preview thread open, searched again to explicitly to find the new thread, then posted in the wrong one anyway. :banghead:.

Yeah, Cobra is really bringing it with the shaft choices, considering that this is their GI/midpoint line. It's almost impossible to find the regular KBS Tours at no upcharge in any brand outside of Mizuno, and the fact that they offer the mid-flexes is fantastic. The shop near me had a demo set, but not the full fitting cart yet, and I'm wavering between trying these in 5-PW with the DG Pros, or waiting to see if I can get a full fitting given the options.

James, with the distance increase are you seeing similar ball flight from these compared to your gamers? I guess I am wondering if the peak height is similar to your Apex?

Peak height is about 1.3 yards higher on average in the 7-AW, but in the 6 (I can't compare the 4/5 as I play hybos there) I am seeing 3 yards higher at the peak, that is massive in a long iron. More than that though, they are putting off higher starting launch angles and without any spin issues. Its why I'm really curious to see how the heads themselves will react to heavier steel being installed.

I will say for clarity, the review is being written literally right now, and will be about the stock setup as that is how it should be IMO. I will update in here with thoughts as I go with the KBS FLTD though.

Went to golfsmith store today and they had the F6 7 iron head for a demo. I used the Cobra F6 FST steel flighted 100-110 gram regular shaft. What a nice 7 iron. It felt just right in my hands, the weight of the club, and I could feel the head thru the swing. On the machine I was hitting it 145-148 yds. My gamer 7 iron is a 140 yd club. Me likey these F6 irons. The impact feel and sound was pure money. I'm going back as soon as they have more demo F6 irons and swing those then will probably be buying a set.

Nice Mach2!

Nice Mach2!
Yes they are Jman but..............I'm going through sets of irons lately, the last 12 months, like grease through a goose!!! :angry: :banghead: :banana: Bought graphite shafted 714 AP1's, traded em for custom fitted Ping G-Max's and now Cobra F6's. I can't get over the feel of the F6 7 iron I hit today though. Making another trip to Golfsmith Wednesday. I want to hit the Cobra MAX Tecflo irons while I'm there also and see how they feel against the Cobra F6's.

These are currently curing in the F6:

DSC_0023-XL.jpg

That said, I also want to mention something to aid people with the "visual" of these irons design wise. I forgot the pics on my home PC and will upload them later, but they are almost identical in sole width and topline as the W/S F5 which I believe many view as a "game-enhancement" style/sized iron rather than a true GI design. They do have more offset in some parts of the set with the progressive nature, but no one should be thinking they are "shovels" in size, because they certainly are NOT.

These are currently curing in the F6:

That said, I also want to mention something to aid people with the "visual" of these irons design wise. I forgot the pics on my home PC and will upload them later, but they are almost identical in sole width and topline as the W/S F5 which I believe many view as a "game-enhancement" style/sized iron rather than a true GI design. They do have more offset in some parts of the set with the progressive nature, but no one should be thinking they are "shovels" in size, because they certainly are NOT.

That was the thing that surprised me the most in hand. I think, because of the target golfer for these, as well as the full cavity design, when you see them in a picture you immediately want to think "big iron" - not that there's really would be anything wrong with that design, I'm a fan of a lot of "chunky" irons. But they're pretty mid-sized. I think the darker finish makes them look even smaller when you put them down as well.

That was the thing that surprised me the most in hand. I think, because of the target golfer for these, as well as the full cavity design, when you see them in a picture you immediately want to think "big iron" - not that there's really would be anything wrong with that design, I'm a fan of a lot of "chunky" irons. But they're pretty mid-sized. I think the darker finish makes them look even smaller when you put them down as well.

Agreed totally, its why i think I draw so many comparisons in my head to the overall profile of the SpeedBlades

Agreed totally, its why i think I draw so many comparisons in my head to the overall profile of the SpeedBlades

Loved the speedblades. Switched over to RSI's which I am still playing as I thought they were a slight improvement, but love to hear that comparison. Cannot wait to hit these. Few more days. I am not the target handicap for these either, but of every iron out there right now these have most of my attention, mainly because I like all the help I can get in the longer irons but prefer a smaller look for the scoring irons.

Loved the speedblades. Switched over to RSI's which I am still playing as I thought they were a slight improvement, but love to hear that comparison. Cannot wait to hit these. Few more days. I am not the target handicap for these either, but of every iron out there right now these have most of my attention, mainly because I like all the help I can get in the longer irons but prefer a smaller look for the scoring irons.

Once you get to hit them, please come post up what you think, its been crazy interesting to see so many go from a "no" on the pics to hitting them and seeing them in hand making that stance flip.

Went back today and hit the 7 iron with both King F6 FST flighted steel regular flex shaft and the Cobra Matrix X4 graphite Lite (Senior) shaft. Pulled the trigger on these Cobra King F6 Tecflo 4-GW irons. Fitted by Golfsmith and ended ordering steel regular shafts, 1 degree flat, 1/4" short shafts, Tour Wrap 2G white grips with 1 wrap extra. When they arrive at the Golfsmith store I'll hit them to check the lie and get carry distances on the 8 irons, then play these beauties. 2 weeks and they'll be here.

I was a little more varied, width wise, in shot results with the graphire lite shafted 7 iron and the overall club felt lighter than the steel shafted 7 iron. A nice 10 yd wide pattern with the steel shafted 7 iron and it felt soooooo gooooood at impact with a 5 yd distance gain over my current Ping G-Max 7 iron, and it doesn't have that crack sound at impact like the G-Max.

Went back today and hit the 7 iron with both King F6 FST flighted steel regular flex shaft and the Cobra Matrix X4 graphite Lite (Senior) shaft. Pulled the trigger on these Cobra King F6 Tecflo 4-GW irons. Fitted by Golfsmith and ended ordering steel regular shafts, 1 degree flat, 1/4" short shafts, Tour Wrap 2G white grips with 1 wrap extra. When they arrive at the Golfsmith store I'll hit them to check the lie and get carry distances on the 8 irons, then play these beauties. 2 weeks and they'll be here.

I was a little more varied, width wise, in shot results with the graphire lite shafted 7 iron and the overall club felt lighter than the steel shafted 7 iron. A nice 10 yd wide pattern with the steel shafted 7 iron and it felt soooooo gooooood at impact with a 5 yd distance gain over my current Ping G-Max 7 iron, and it doesn't have that crack sound at impact like the G-Max.
Awesome stuff dude. The FST flighted look interesting and sounds like you found a really fun combo for you.

I've got some pretty deep questions being sent off to cobra, so it could be fun to see what comes of them for the formal review!

I really like the design of the 3-5 irons that is different than the design of the 6-7 irons that is different than the design of the 8-9-W that is different than the design of the GW. What I'm talking about is visible in your #1 post on page one of this thread, TECFLO Set Design.

Looking forward to hitting the whole set. Probably should've waited till they had a full demo set in to see the feel of the whole irons set, but was just blown away with the feel of the 7 iron and pulled the trigger early. It'll be a long two weeks waiting for delivery.

One other thing. I went to the Project X shaft web site and went through their "Shaft Fit" link and it came up with TT Dynamic Gold R300 for my parameters. I was going to have the TT DG R300 shafts installed in these F6 irons, no up charge for them, but the advisor at Golfsmith said the King F6 FST flighted steel regular shaft is lighter than the TT DG R300. I hit both shafts with the 7 iron head and liked the feel and results of the King F6 FST flighted steel regular shaft over the heavier feeling TT DG R300 shaft. I usually go to Golf Galaxy but after being at Golfsmith the last two days, I'm very impressed with the shaft selections to test with various irons heads compared to GG. It's a 50 mile round trip but well worth it.

Last edited:
I really like the design of the 3-5 irons that is different than the design of the 6-7 irons that is different than the design of the 8-9-W that is different than the design of the GW. What I'm talking about is visible in your #1 post on page one of this thread, TECFLO Set Design.

Looking forward to hitting the whole set. Probably should've waited till they had a full demo set in to see the feel of the whole irons set, but was just blown away with the feel of the 7 iron and pulled the trigger early. It'll be a long two weeks waiting for delivery.

One other thing. I went to the Project X shaft web site and went through their "Shaft Fit" link and it came up with TT Dynamic Gold R300 for my parameters. I was going to have the TT DG R300 shafts installed in these F6 irons, no up charge for them, but the advisor at Golfsmith said the King F6 FST flighted steel regular shaft is lighter than the TT DG R300. I hit both shafts with the 7 iron head and liked the feel and results of the King F6 FST flighted steel regular shaft over the heavier feeling TT DG R300 shaft. I usually go to Golf Galaxy but after being at Golfsmith the last two days, I'm very impressed with the shaft selections to test with various irons heads compared to GG. It's a 50 mile round trip but well worth it.

Seeing that you play the CFS distance shafts at the moment, I think you'll like the FST's, particularly the flighted characteristics of them.

These just got added to my spring ponder list

Spent some time with the 7iron at Golfsmith today. Very nice in hand and a nice, controlled swing gets the ball up and out there.

Spent some time with the 7iron at Golfsmith today. Very nice in hand and a nice, controlled swing gets the ball up and out there.

how does it compare with the C200?

They don't look bad. They don't jump out at me, but they don't turn away from me either.

10 yards longer than your CF16 gamers? That's an impressive difference.

Very interesting reporting on these so far... I really really really don't need to be pondering other clubs when my Apex's haven't even arrived yet!

how does it compare with the C200?

Next time I go I'll take the C200 in and do a side by side. Just from what I saw today I think it'll hold its own, at least until I start getting a little wonky contact wise.

Couple things, first, these will be joining me on the course/range tomorrow as the KBS Tour FLTD are fully cured now. Second, I mentioned earlier in here that we (THP) were reaching out to get some questions answered on the set and their design for an interview portion in the upcoming review, T.O. (Tom Olsavsky) was kind enough to do just that and there are two that I want to share ahead of the review:

THP: Although the stock shafts play significantly on the lightweight/flighted trend as well, Cobra is also offering a lot of popular heavier weight options at no upcharge. With that in mind, who do you view as the target audience with this set, is it one that can run the gamut?

T.O.: We believe the KING F6 iron is best positioned for typical amateur that ranges from 5-6 handicap up to the 25-30 handicap range. For the higher ranges, we offer the Cobra MAX line we is even easier to hit and more forgiving than the KING F6.

THP: What do you see the F6 Irons accomplishing for Cobra within the iron realm?

T.O.: I am very pleased with the Cobra KING F6 irons, from all aspects of performance, looks/feel and positioning. We expect them to sell well and provide golfers with a great new set of irons that answers their performance needs and brings more FUN to their golf games.

Which grips have you got those shafts?

Which grips have you got those shafts?
For the Tour FLTD I put in they are NO1 grips, there's a spotlight on the homepage on them as well as a thread with a link and discuss on the forum.

Back