Hybrids: What is your goal?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The Apex discussion in the ponder thread got me thinking about this.

Hybrids.

Obviously, the stigma that existed for so long that good players don't play hybrids has come off, but they're still a curious club IMO. Different people seek different things from them, so I ask YOU all, the THP'ers, what is your performance and playability goal with hybrids? Essentially, what do you want, need, demand out of them, whether it be #'s, distance, forgiveness, whatever.

Let's talk golf.

• Staff
For me personally, I want them to be iron replacements which is NOT the trend. Most are built for max forgiveness and MAX distance, which I am sort of the opposite of. I want a smaller profile that slots in to replace a 3, 4, or 5i directly.

I look for versatility and help covering the long iron slots.

For me personally, I want them to be iron replacements which is NOT the trend. Most are built for max forgiveness and MAX distance, which I am sort of the opposite of. I want a smaller profile that slots in to replace a 3, 4, or 5i directly.

For me, I’m about in the same mindset? Fill the gap between my 21 degree and my 5i. The loft doesn’t matter, so long as it gaps in between there and I can hit the thing high and soft. Hell, I think my 5i and hybrid are the same loft or close to it, but when there’s 15yds in between the two? Perfect fit.

I have better control of my hybrids than my irons. I get the same distance from my 5H as my 7W (working to correct this btw) and can place the 5H more accurately.

I need a driver and 1-9 set of hybrids, apparently.

My hybrid lands in my bag to fill a distance gap between my 3 wood and longest iron mainly...but I use it for way more than that. Currently I have a 19* hybo to fill that spot and I really look for the hybrid to deliver me a high flight that I can hold greens with on longer shots. I use my hybrid from a ton of different lengths and at times will choke up on it to use it on less distances in order to achieve a ball flight I need to hold a green. I will routinely hit my hybrid from 190 to where it maxes out at....240, any and all shots depending on my landing area really. I've tried the 2 hybrid approach before, but really I've been able to manipulate my distances with the 1 good enough I don't have to sacrifice a wedge for another one.

Iron replacement. Goal is for the hybrid to provide a higher launching, softer landing replacement for a 4 iron off the turf that goes equal approximate distance to that iron. And I would like the hybrid to also provide more ease in hitting a ball out of the rough than a long iron provides for me.

I like my hybrid to have versatility/consistency. I use mine off the tee, in the rough, in the fairway. It's something I can rely on to get me a good amount of distance and not have to worry about getting me worse in trouble.

The longest iron I feel comfortable hitting is a 4iron, so when I need something longer, the rogue 3 hybrid fits the bill. It is long, forgiving, and actually really damn accurate. Feels pretty great, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want something to bridge the distance gap between my fairway and my irons, particularly off the tee but I'm evolving to use it from almost any lie too. I'm not looking for max distance or an iron replacement or a get out of jail club, but something that takes on characteristics of both fairway and iron in shape and size is great and truly blends the set together. My 815 has been so good for me the past 4 years, it's hard for me to replace it because I know everything about it and I grow in confidence with it each season.

I need my hybrids to replace my 3 and 4 irons, I just don’t hit those clubs well and anything that makes the game easier is good for me. Being able to hit a hybrid out of the rough is a must, so the club must interact well with the long grass. Distance should equal the clubs I’m replacing.

My 3 hy fills the gap between my short driver/3 wood and my 4i.

A Hybrid for me is to fill a gap between 3w and 4i. It's most often used off the tee on a short par 4 or as a 2nd shot club on short par 5. I want them to be a little on the bigger side and provide max distance/forgiveness

My goals are distance, forgiveness, and consistency. I need a club I can feel confident hitting in that 180-200 range, the 4i and sometimes 5i don’t always give me that. 4i has been out of the bag all year and my hybrid has been very helpful getting me that 190-200 distance when needed.

Good question, especially with the number of options out there right now... I tried going the max distance route this year, but found that I was having a hard time holding greens on long par 3s or from the rough. I ended up going with a hybrid that gave me better spin and launch numbers, even though I gave up 5-10 yards. Wasn't quite as useful on tee shots or long layups, but the improved accuracy from long range was worth the trade off. So, I'd say iron replacement for me.

Way more confidence in hybrids than irons. I've seen that you've bagged a 5H in the past, and that's my slot I'm going to put side by side with my 5i. The length is a little longer than the iron, but it's also 40 grams lighter than the iron.

The simple answer is the forgiveness and launch make it a confidence club to swing. Even toe hits go pretty far and don't feel nearly as harsh as a mis-hit iron.

iron replacement, with more forgiveness and a little more weight low and deep for launch and carry. but i abhor fairway woods mislabeled as hybrids; i don't like the giant, bulbous hybrids. apex and hogan vktr are two of my favorite shapes.

I lean this way but I have been thinking of adopting a “one of each” strategy. A 4h where distance control is #1 and a 3h that’s more of the off the tee/2nd shot on a par 5 club.

But then the question is whether something like a HW or 5W make more sense? Though I think I’m more comfortable with a hybrid in hand.

I like hybrids for the distance and have a Rogue 4 and 5. I have a tendency to slice these on my second shot on a long Par 5 so I’m working on correcting that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see hybrids as an iron replacement. That being said, half the time I hit it I think I should just bag a 3 iron instead.

I want a 20.5° that will go 235 off the fairway nice and high and not left. I'd love to replace my 2iron with something more versatile.

I want them to be iron replacements. I still want to try one with a shorter, heavier more iron like shaft to see how that works.

I want to them to be a "bridge" between my Fairway Woods and Iron. Plus Hybrid's give me more forgiveness that Irons.
I bag a 4 & 5 to gap between my Hwood and 7i.

A 4i and 3i replacement that is easy to hit off the tee. I'm actually trying to experiment with putting my 4i back in the bag. I started playing hybrids because when I first started playing I struggled with long irons.

I carry 2 hybrids. One 21 degree that I use from tee and 2nd on par 5’s. The other is 25,5 degrees and I use it instead of 4 iron for long approaches on long par 4’s or frim semi ruff

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Back