2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

Looks around for them. Dicks here in San Antonio had them on the shelves but Golfsmith won't have them till Friday. I played them at Tapatio yesterday and they were fantastic around the greens.

Played again today with this ball and gave the 3 sleeves I had left to my friend after the front 9. I may not be generating enough CH speed to make them work. Off the Driver just dead and even well stuck irons seem to just fall out of the sky. Back to the B330 for me, hope I can find some of the new ones locally.

If you have the clubhead speed to hit the B330 well, you should not have much of a problem with the new Chrome Soft. The compression of the B330 must be around 85 or 90, vs about 75 for the new Chrome Soft. Maybe I am missing something here.

Well it does not have to make sense, it's golf. Just a personal thing, they just feel real hard to me and do not react the way I was expecting.
The fact they fit Jman perfectly and he beastly says a lot to me. But again just golf, I might get some more in 2 weeks and love them.....

First time I've ever been called beastly hahahaha

I'm having fun with these though, for me feel there's no audible or tactile difference from the original chrome soft. But we are all definitely different with some things!

First time I've ever been called beastly hahahaha

I'm having fun with these though, for me feel there's no audible or tactile difference from the original chrome soft. But we are all definitely different with some things!
I would agree that these dont sound differently. For me its a slight difference in feel.

You beast lol

Well it does not have to make sense, it's golf. Just a personal thing, they just feel real hard to me and do not react the way I was expecting.
The fact they fit Jman perfectly and he beastly says a lot to me. But again just golf, I might get some more in 2 weeks and love them.....

Sorry if the tone of my reply sounded harsh. I am just trying to learn more about the ball and to ascertain if if might work for my less than "beastly" clubhead speed.

Last edited:
Sorry if the tone of my reply sounded harsh. I am just trying to learn more about the ball and am ascertain if if might work for my less than "beastly" clubhead speed.
It will work for a ton of different speeds imo and in my experience. At #TheGrandaddy we were all over the map low to high and all enjoyed what they were seeing.

Anxious to compare this ball to the new BS RXS300, the sleeve of 2016 soft's I played spun like no ball I ever played before which when you rely on your short game as much as I do to score is a pretty cool thing.

I've acquired a box and two sample sleeves of these over the last couple days. I'll definitely be putting them in play my next round!

Anxious to compare this ball to the new BS RXS300, the sleeve of 2016 soft's I played spun like no ball I ever played before which when you rely on your short game as much as I do to score is a pretty cool thing.

Sounds really good about the spin around the green. I am also very interested in the new BS 300RXS. Have used previous versions of that ball extensively and the "slipres" technology sounds very interesting, will probably boil down to either the new RXS or the new Chrome Soft for me this year.

It will work for a ton of different speeds imo and in my experience. At #TheGrandaddy we were all over the map low to high and all enjoyed what they were seeing.
+1 I hover from 97-101, I definitely wouldn't consider myself 'beastly' and I enjoyed this ball off of the tee as well as around the greens. My partner PhillyV, who IS beastly, seemed to enjoy it also. I think this is a ball that will appeal to a wide spectrum of golfers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was able to play a round with these this past weekend. I am not a high spin player, but even on firm greens, I was able to get these to stop with in 3 feet of the pitch mark on almost all of my approaches. They felt good off the driver for me, just a hint of click but not loud. I would say compared to the Srixon soft feel which I play in the winter months they are a bit better distance wise and hold the greens better for me. I did lose one in the lake so the fish must like them to because they didn't throw it back to me.

Finally got the hooks on some of the new CS golf balls yesterday, and hit several shots with one on a launch monitor, 7 iron. The feel seemed just fine to me, slightly firmer than the first version but very good, pretty solid but not hard. Off the 7 iron I got better results ball speed and distance wise than with any other ball I have tried there lately. I usually struggle to get 100+ ball speed with this particular 7 iron but with this ball was over 100 on almost every swing with a high of over 104. That impressed me. Will be testing it around the greens through the weekend and will probably play a few holes with it on Sunday. The cover seems like it will be very durable. It is more of a smooth feeling cover vs the more tacky feeling Duo U. So far, very good.

After a little more testing with this golf ball, I am not too confident this ball is going to perform as well as advertised. The ball speed with the 7 iron is very good, distance is very good too, but the spin rate is not very good relative to balls like the new Project A, around 5 or 6 hundred rpm for me. The feel is pretty good, but not as good as the original sorry to say, and I expected that because of the added 10 points of compression. Will be checking it out around the greens tonight and hopefully will see some good things there, but based on feel I don't have a lot of confidence that this ball will deliver as advertised on approach shots or around the greens. Really hope I am wrong and will be finding out soon one way or the other. Based on what I see so far the Project A looks like it is performing closer to advertised than the new CS. The whole idea of taking a soft ball and making it harder and still calling it soft doesn't resonate too well with me anyway. For lower to moderate swing speeds I think the Duo might just be a better ball, although it can use some improvement in backspin and durability. The Duo U seems to be pretty close to the new CS on backspin but the CS is longer off the irons. Seems to me the Duo U could be just an awesome golf ball with a couple of small improvements, and pretty good around the greens as it is right now. The new Bridgestone B330 line will probably be a good competitor. Bridgestone seems to have a little better sense of direction on the golf balls than Callaway right now, can probably say about the same thing for Wilson as a matter of fact. Will be doing more testing and playing with the new CS, perhaps this ball will prove me wrong, and that would be okay. Just not seeing it right now.

+1 I hover from 97-101, I definitely wouldn't consider myself 'beastly' and I enjoyed this ball off of the tee as well as around the greens. My partner PhillyV, who IS beastly, seemed to enjoy it also. I think this is a ball that will appeal to a wide spectrum of golfers.

Ya I'm a big fan of the ball. I like it more off the tee than the old version

Folks, this is something special, everyone needs to get on board as soon as possible.

After a little more testing with this golf ball, I am not too confident this ball is going to perform as well as advertised. The ball speed with the 7 iron is very good, distance is very good too, but the spin rate is not very good relative to balls like the new Project A, around 5 or 6 hundred rpm for me. The feel is pretty good, but not as good as the original sorry to say, and I expected that because of the added 10 points of compression. Will be checking it out around the greens tonight and hopefully will see some good things there, but based on feel I don't have a lot of confidence that this ball will deliver as advertised on approach shots or around the greens. Really hope I am wrong and will be finding out soon one way or the other. Based on what I see so far the Project A looks like it is performing closer to advertised than the new CS. The whole idea of taking a soft ball and making it harder and still calling it soft doesn't resonate too well with me anyway. For lower to moderate swing speeds I think the Duo might just be a better ball, although it can use some improvement in backspin and durability. The Duo U seems to be pretty close to the new CS on backspin but the CS is longer off the irons. Seems to me the Duo U could be just an awesome golf ball with a couple of small improvements, and pretty good around the greens as it is right now. The new Bridgestone B330 line will probably be a good competitor. Bridgestone seems to have a little better sense of direction on the golf balls than Callaway right now, can probably say about the same thing for Wilson as a matter of fact. Will be doing more testing and playing with the new CS, perhaps this ball will prove me wrong, and that would be okay. Just not seeing it right now.
I'm sorry to see that you've had mixed results with the new CS. I would encourage you to hold judgement for any ball you try until you are able to hit them on the course in decent temperatures for you to get a true feel for how it performs. I hovered between 330 s and CS last year, then when the temps got cold I moved to supersofts. What might feel like too much compression now might be great in mid summer. Good luck!

Also, you were seeing 5-600 rpm less than the project a with a 7?

Also, you were seeing 5-600 rpm less than the project a with a 7?

I haven't tried the new ball yet, but my biggest complaint with the previous ball was stopping with the short irons. Most premium balls, project a too, stop close to the mark but chrome soft rolled out several yards.

I haven't tried the new ball yet, but my biggest complaint with the previous ball was stopping with the short irons. Most premium balls, project a too, stop close to the mark but chrome soft rolled out several yards.

That's interesting, I haven't had that reacting with short irons with the Chrome Soft. I haven't had that reaction with short irons with any urethane ball FWIW, project A included.

2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

different strokes for different folks I suppose. never had that problem with cs and im a low spin player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ordering a dozen to try them out. Maybe with the Truvis technology.

Picked up 3 dozen today. I love this ball and I think its going to be even better than last year's. Can't wait until I can get out and play.

That's interesting, I haven't had that reacting with short irons with the Chrome Soft. I haven't had that reaction with short irons with any urethane ball FWIW, project A included.

On an average approach with lets say a 9 iron I expect the ball to stop within a yard or 2 in front of or behind the mark unless I catch it thin or the trajectory is low. I don't have a large sample size but when testing it there were a few shots with chrome soft that rolled out about 10 yards or more than I was expecting.

I won't let that deter me from trying out the new version though. I'll pay closer attention to that and maybe hit a couple different balls side by side to see if that really is an issue.

Played 18 yesterday with this one and I continue to be impressed. We faced a decent wind on several holes and this ball held its line great.

Off the tee the distance is there and I hit a couple of my PB drives yesterday.

Where I continue to see benefits are shots into and around the greens. Even with winter greens this ball is checking up nicely and showing minimal rollout.

I'm anxious to get these out when spring time rolls around.

I tried a sleeve sent to me via Callaway Community and I prefer the previous version. What I liked from CS was the feel. This new one, being a tad bit harder, took me back to the B330 and TM TPX feel. So, for similar performance to TM TPX that I can get cheaper, I'd just play TM. I didn't see any measurable gains off the tee with the new ball, same with spin vs the old. I'm not saying it isn't a good ball, just one I wouldn't seek over the previous model. I'll just keep playing the same old CS. ?

Back