Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

As anyone upgraded their C or S to the latest 2.0 models?

I'm doing a serious ponder and would love to hear some comparison insights.

Im looking to snag an S 2.0

Im looking to snag an S 2.0

So you weren't kidding about wanting one of these. Please do elaborate once you've had a chance to put it in play.

So you weren't kidding about wanting one of these. Please do elaborate once you've had a chance to put it in play.
I was geeked when I found my original Smart Sole S wedge this weekend in an old bag I had in storage. It immediately went in the bag.

Now, it's time to get 2.0. It just makes the short game stupid easy.

I was geeked when I found my original Smart Sole S wedge this weekend in an old bag I had in storage. It immediately went in the bag.

Now, it's time to get 2.0. It just makes the short game stupid easy.

Great. Looking forward to your thoughts!

My smart sole S hasn't left my bag since I got it....but I might need to look into the 2.0 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My smart sole S hasn't left my bag since I got it....but I might need to look into the 2.0 model

Mine left the bag because of my Morgan Cup wedges. Glad to have it back.

I gamed the S 1.0 for most of 2015 and loved it.
I am a sucker for a black wedge so I got the 2.0 but haven't had a chance to play it yet here in OH. Love the look though.

I gamed the S 1.0 for most of 2015 and loved it.
I am a sucker for a black wedge so I got the 2.0 but haven't had a chance to play it yet here in OH. Love the look though.

Please share your thoughts with us when you do.

Were there any major changes with the 2.0 other than color?

Were there any major changes with the 2.0 other than color?

The biggest thing I noticed was the insert in the cavity.
According to Cleveland:They call it a plaque "which Helps to place more of the weight around the perimeter of the club for more forgiveness and greater consistency on all shots. It also helps to dampen vibration for a buttery smooth feel."

Also the sole is thinner and more rounded or stepped for lack of a better term.
According to Cleveland its supposed to have better turf interaction.

Last edited:
I picked up both the S and C 2.0 a few days ago. Hit them a good bit today and I was very impressed. The C worked effortlessly on chip shots around the green and I also took a few full swings with it and it provided nicely placed shots out to around 100 yards or so. The S provided nice high flop shots that stopped on a dime. Anywhere from the fringe of the green out to around 60 yards. Also hit a couple of shots out of the sand and I was out every time and that's a first for me. I'm no where close to being a good golfer and my weakest part of my game is chipping and sand shots. I went from blading short chip shots from one side of the green to the other to putting the ball close enough to leave me with a putt I should make most of the time. I definitely see my score going down next round and can't wait to try them out on the course. If you are thinking about getting these and struggle with your short game you won't regret buying these.

I picked up both the S and C 2.0 a few days ago. Hit them a good bit today and I was very impressed. The C worked effortlessly on chip shots around the green and I also took a few full swings with it and it provided nicely placed shots out to around 100 yards or so. The S provided nice high flop shots that stopped on a dime. Anywhere from the fringe of the green out to around 60 yards. Also hit a couple of shots out of the sand and I was out every time and that's a first for me. I'm no where close to being a good golfer and my weakest part of my game is chipping and sand shots. I went from blading short chip shots from one side of the green to the other to putting the ball close enough to leave me with a putt I should make most of the time. I definitely see my score going down next round and can't wait to try them out on the course. If you are thinking about getting these and struggle with your short game you won't regret buying these.

The S is my go to club around the greens....I have holed out more shots with it in the last year or so than I probably have in the last 30+ years of golfing, it just makes then short game so much easier

Thanks to all contributors to this thread as it was really key to me buying the "C" today.
I've always struggled with chips from 30 or 40 yards in and I hope this will give me some confidence and one putt chances.

Been invited with some buddies for some games coming up in a weeks time so will report back as to how its helped me in my short game.
I love the weight of this club and it feels very comfortable in my grip will head to the practice range tomorrow to see what the ball flight is and how it comes off the face with a simple chipping swing.

I was considering the "S" but I felt the "C" was more important in my game. I do struggle in hard sand but fortunately thats rare around here and its usually quite soft and easy to power through.

I have not played much for the past few years but usually managed around 90 or slightly under with terrible chips so this could help me:pray:.

Good luck with it JDL.
Let us know how it works for you when you get it out on the course.

Enjoy the new wedge JDL. It's truly a game changer for the short game.

I happen to play in different courses, and I saw a post here that said that the S didn't work for him on hardpan.

Has anyone else have any comment regarding how the S performs on hard sand? I can easily imagine how this works for fluffy sand. Anyone else has any experience on using the S on different kinds of sand?

I've been gaming the Smart Sole S (both versions) for about a year now. Luckily many of the courses I play don't have much sand as I'm a terrible bunker player. I can get out of greenside bunkers on my first try usually but the flight is really low. Like barely making the lip. I've tried ball off front foot, in the middle and nothing helps. Actually this week I hit some practice shots from the bunker with the ball off my back foot and got a little more height but the ball barely would go anywhere. Any tips or tricks to use it effectively out of greenside bunkers ?

I loved my smart sole s & c for a couple years. I got them when I was a 25 handicap and now I'm down to a 15 so I replaced my wedges with something a little more classic looking.
I find my new pm grind 60 to be no higher out of the sand than my s wedge was. I found the key to the smart sole wedge was to have no shaft lean. Just let the squared club take care of everything.

I found the key to the smart sole wedge was to have no shaft lean. Just let the squared club take care of everything.

I remember a buddy of mine saying with the SS S he had the best luck out of the trap playing his wrist and arms real stuff. Essentially taking any lean out of the club. Thanks for the tip.

Might have to practice it this way.

Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

I remember a buddy of mine saying with the SS S he had the best luck out of the trap playing his wrist and arms real stuff. Essentially taking any lean out of the club. Thanks for the tip.

Might have to practice it this way.

I will have try that I have been having all sorts of trouble getting out of bunkers either getting them to thin or to fat. I am going to put the S back in and give it a go.

Last edited:
Afternoon all. Back after my paternity so lots to catch up on!
I like the idea of the smart sole, I have so much trouble with wedge play at the moment on full swings (within 40feet i use Joe Davidsons simple chipping system). These wedges are soooooo out of my price range so stumbled on this
th

Dunlop Tour Hybrid wedge. Got the Sand Wedge for £14.99, yes i know, its a Dunlop but for the price its great and works so well. Wide sole and a BIG undercut cavity.

The way its going i'll only have 3 irons in my bag as i may replace the other wedges (4-7 irons are hybrids now)

Afternoon all. Back after my paternity so lots to catch up on!
I like the idea of the smart sole, I have so much trouble with wedge play at the moment on full swings (within 40feet i use Joe Davidsons simple chipping system). These wedges are soooooo out of my price range so stumbled on this
th

Dunlop Tour Hybrid wedge. Got the Sand Wedge for £14.99, yes i know, its a Dunlop but for the price its great and works so well. Wide sole and a BIG undercut cavity.

The way its going i'll only have 3 irons in my bag as i may replace the other wedges (4-7 irons are hybrids now)

whats the loft on that one?

The one i have is a 56 but is also available in a 60

Back