Self Fitting - Could you do it successfully?

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Suppose you are browsing at your favorite golf shop and find yourself alone among the fitting carts with access to all the necessary tools: launch monitor, impact tape, shaft change tools, etc.

Given the available information here as well as access to online shaft selection tools such as those available from True Temper and KBS, do you think you could confidently fit yourself to your next driver or set of irons, enough so that you would take your results to the counter and order that day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. There's a lot more to it than just reading info about companies and technology. If that were the case then everyone would be a PGA pro or teaching professional

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Assuming you knew how to interpret the data you were collecting and which way to adjust to dial in a flight or shot shape, yes of course you could. For years I built my own clubs and had never been fit but there were years of trial and error to get it just right. We also are very biased and tend to believe or only see what we want to see. You really should have an impartial judge Guage your performance and make suggestions.

Not a chance. I think by the time I was able to get through all the information on THP and OEM online fitting instructions, the golf shop would have asked me to leave.

I could probably fit myself into a setup that works, but no way would I find the ideal setup unless I just got lucky.

I would be able to get myself close with loft and lie buy in terms of choosing the correct shaft I would probably be there for hours because I would want to hit everyone haha

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I could probably fit myself into a setup that works, but no way would I find the ideal setup unless I just got lucky.

Would be my answer as well. Could get myself headed in the right direction, but to find the ideal setup, nope.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Self Fitting - Could you do it successfully?

Eventually by trial and error I could get it down. No where as fast as a seasoned fitter could do. But having been through two very solid fittings in my life. I have a good starting point to work from.

I could fit myself in one that works but it likely would not be the optimal setup that a professional fitter would put me in.

No way.

I think I can do it. Between THP info and the fittings I have been thru I can fit myself to something that works. I may miss the most optimal setup but if I have access to various shafts and club heads it will be good enough

Between what I've learned on here and the fittings I have been through, I think I've learned what I like and really prefer to fiddle with things without much help.
I took information I got from a driver fitting with a titelist rep and fit myself into my current driver.
After some swing changes a few years ago, I needed to adjust my irons and figured out my settings with the aid of a fitting cart.
Did an online fitting and took that info and the info I learned from my driver fitting above and took a guess on a fw shaft for my 4 wood and I'm happy with it.
Have I got everything 100% dead on, maybe not. But I'm at least 90% and until the Indian gets a little better, I think that's close enough.

No way, so much info and knowledge goes into properly fitting golf equipment I would think I missed a small but important detail

Not a chance, I have no idea what is what and leave it to someone that does it for a living.

I could to a point. Their are probably items that I wouldn't know about but after this many years of going to fittings, I have a pretty good idea what to look for, especially with the driver. The irons might be a little trickier!!

I could probably get pretty close to optimal with irons - my specs have been consistent in fittings, and there are a selection of shafts that I know work for me. Woods, not a chance.

No. There are too many good qualified people out there to do it right.

I think I could get pretty close, but I'm sure one or two of my personal mental hangups would get in the way of perfection.

I would have a better chance now than I would have last year at this point. Having been through multiple fittings, spending time with the best minds of the industry, and having a LM on standby, that would make it easier.

Absolutely you can. The amount of information and data available to golfers today allows you to dial in specs pretty close. I think the big difference is cost. If you go DIY, trial & error will prob cost you in the thousands. If you pay for a fitting it will be a few hundred.

LB

Let's trim the parameters a bit:

You have the fit cart for your iron of choice, the 7 iron heads, 4 shaft options in all flexes, tool for shaft change, impact tape, lie board, and three hours before the store closes.

I say you can come out with a setup you could game for the season before closing time. Thoughts?

Having gone through 2 full bag fittings and 2 partial fittings I think I could get real close.

Nope. Trying to represent myself to myself as a fitter would do irrevocable harm to my client.

Depends where I am at. Could I fit myself as well as the guys at my local Golfsmith yes I could. Could I do it as well as the guys at the Titleist Performance Center or ECPC not a chance..

Back