THP TV - Tour Acceptance - KBS Tour V Shafts

If I could only get up the nerve to swap them into the blades

Please make a S+ Tour V @ 125g with a slightly lower balance point

So a little necromancy this evening - how does everyone like Tour V shafts at this point? I've been looking into shaft options through Ben Hogan. As a somewhat faster SS player the best options are probably steel, as the Recoil 780 F4 I think will be too light weight for my preferences. That leaves Dynamic Gold or Tour V. (I may reshaft eventually, but for now, let's get the best baseline.)

I've never played Tour V and wondering if it's for me. About me:
My 7i SS hover around 90 or a tick under, carry about 175. Driver 108-112, carry ~270+. Shallower delivery, smooth but purposeful tempo. I'm over 40, and NOT the strongest build, I get my SS through efficiency/technique. Historically I've played S flex in irons but am hovering near the transition to X. I have Recoil 110 Proto's F4 in my PTx Pro, Modus 120 S in Z-Forged, Project X 6.0 in Apex MB, and I like all of those shafts pretty well. I have KBS Tour 120 S in a set of z745 and I am not sure I like those quite as much as the aforementioned, but could be psychological.

I will admit I'm not overly excited about moving up in weight to DG S or X. In the Tour V, not sure what flex to go with. 110 in S would match Protos, but 120 in X intrigues me. I have read some fairly different thoughts on these flexes paying significantly and being love/hate with one vs. the other.

Any guidance? Paging @Canadan as I see you are a fan of this shaft. Also @Jman I'd love to hear your thoughts. 110S and call it an experiment?

I've been thinking a ton about shaft fittings, what works, what clearly doesn't, and what I need to do to prepare myself for a successful 2015. Part of that, will be to get my hands on another set of Tour V's, more than likely in stiff, to commit to my gamer irons. Whether they are massive altitudes or blades, I really think KBS hit the Canadan nail on the head with their design of the Tour V.

I don't even think I need to go X to keep my numbers in check. Probably worth giving a try, or hard stepping a stiff shaft - I don't want to walk away from the lighter weighting.

I am taking the above to mean that 110 S should be a good bet (y)

Kim is great person and knows his stuff. Always enjoy watching his interviews describing each shafts characteristics. I played the Tour V in Apex irons and they were a perfect match of distance and consistency

@GraniteRoost I'm still an absolutely massive fan of Tour V. They are easily my favorite steel shaft and have yet to see anything in the 110 range to support lower launch and spin.

Interesting design, but I don't think it's as simple as me saying "you're going to like them" - I think you need to experience them for yourself before you can get comfortable with the idea because I think they react differently to people.

So a little necromancy this evening - how does everyone like Tour V shafts at this point? I've been looking into shaft options through Ben Hogan. As a somewhat faster SS player the best options are probably steel, as the Recoil 780 F4 I think will be too light weight for my preferences. That leaves Dynamic Gold or Tour V. (I may reshaft eventually, but for now, let's get the best baseline.)

My 7i SS hover around 90 or a tick under, carry about 175. Driver 108-112, carry ~270+. Shallower delivery, smooth but purposeful tempo. I'm over 40, and NOT the strongest build, I get my SS through efficiency/technique. Historically I've played S flex in irons but am hovering near the transition to X. I have Recoil 110 Proto's F4 in my PTx Pro, Modus 120 S in Z-Forged, Project X 6.0 in Apex MB, and I like all of those shafts pretty well. I have KBS Tour 120 S in a set of z745 and I am not sure I like those quite as much as the aforementioned, but could be psychological.

I will admit I'm not overly excited about moving up in weight to DG S or X. In the Tour V, not sure what flex to go with. 110 in S would match Protos, but 120 in X intrigues me. I have read some fairly different thoughts on these flexes paying significantly and being love/hate with one vs. the other.

Any guidance? Paging @Canadan as I see you are a fan of this shaft. Also @Jman I'd love to hear your thoughts. 110S and call it an experiment?

I'm a big fan of the Tour V myself, and everyone is totally different, but I'd bet one of my drivers you'll like the 110s just fine based on your others. I swing my irons just a tick faster than you, with a little quicker tempo, and absolutely love the 110s. The X's play okay, but in that profile all they do is bring up the spin for me. Not a fan. For reference the KBS Tour 120s and 110 Proto F4's profile just a tiny bit soft for me. Still good though. My transition can just get a little quick. I've recently been playing amt white S & X to add some weight and keep the ball a little lower, but when I finally move I wouldn't be surprised to see those V110s make an appearance in my Forged Tecs. They're basically my go-to when I want to try anything new. They seem to be @Canadan 's too. If you can't hit them ahead of time, sure, call it an experiment. A fun one!

@GraniteRoost I'm still an absolutely massive fan of Tour V. They are easily my favorite steel shaft and have yet to see anything in the 110 range to support lower launch and spin.

Interesting design, but I don't think it's as simple as me saying "you're going to like them" - I think you need to experience them for yourself before you can get comfortable with the idea because I think they react differently to people.
For instance, on paper and your love for them, they shouldn’t work for me, but they do. :p

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think this is a good point, and I will just have to jump in and try them.

I'm a big fan of the Tour V myself, and everyone is totally different, but I'd bet one of my drivers you'll like the 110s just fine based on your others. I swing my irons just a tick faster than you, with a little quicker tempo, and absolutely love the 110s. The X's play okay, but in that profile all they do is bring up the spin for me. Not a fan. For reference the KBS Tour 120s and 110 Proto F4's profile just a tiny bit soft for me. Still good though. My transition can just get a little quick. I've recently been playing amt white S & X to add some weight and keep the ball a little lower, but when I finally move I wouldn't be surprised to see those V110s make an appearance in my Forged Tecs. They're basically my go-to when I want to try anything new. They seem to be @Canadan 's too. If you can't hit them ahead of time, sure, call it an experiment. A fun one!

This is a great endorsement, thanks. I think I am headed the Tour V direction as a gamble. Part of the fun is trying new things, and just imagine if they turned out to be a pleasant surprise! Based on feedback here, I think these are some good reasons to believe I should give these a shot.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
For instance, on paper and your love for them, they shouldn’t work for me, but they do. :p

Thanks for posting 👊 Unanimous generally positive feedback, plus faith in what Ben Hogan is putting out as stock options... I'mma give these a whirl.

I played the Tour V's in two sets of PTx irons and now have them in my ICON's and I'm a fan. They performed really well in the PTx, easy to launch and I think they feel good. I'm not great at telling the differences in shafts but it's usually a case where I like the shaft or I don't and these I like.

Fwiw I'm just slightly slower swing speed than you.

I'm gravitating away from X but still enjoy them as they help when I get crazy. My goto now is getting an S hard stepped and if available an X soft stepped (harder to come by with the only vendor I use right now).

If you can find a set of TourV 125 online that's my sweet spot. I still have a set in my J15CB's and thinking of pulling them to put in my gamers. Or find another set someday.

Back