Mizuno ST190 vs ST190G Drivers - Range Days Episode 3

Glad you guys are enjoying this one. After spending the day at Mizuno with the team, I like where this video stands.

Another great episode, interesting with how forgiving the heel vs the toe was on this one.

ST190 :sick:

Finally finished.

Like JB - I would like to see them try to put the blue on the composite head.

These weren't even on my radar, but seeing the heel efficiency of the G being 1.41, that is crazy. Also seeing the low spin numbers you were getting has me wanting to hit this.

Dan - why would you stay away from an MOI head is it the spin numbers?

Curious what the SW is for these as you both were saying that it felt on the heavier side. D3 is where I can play, but I like the D1 or D2 feels better.

Finally finished.

Like JB - I would like to see them try to put the blue on the composite head.

These weren't even on my radar, but seeing the heel efficiency of the G being 1.41, that is crazy. Also seeing the low spin numbers you were getting has me wanting to hit this.

Dan - why would you stay away from an MOI head is it the spin numbers?

Curious what the SW is for these as you both were saying that it felt on the heavier side. D3 is where I can play, but I like the D1 or D2 feels better.

I think they are in the D3/D4 range.

What do you mean by stay away from an MOI head?

I think they are in the D3/D4 range.

What do you mean by stay away from an MOI head?

The non G is very high MOI if I’m remembering the video correctly and I think JB said something about your swing and high moi not benefiting you as much?

The non G is very high MOI if I’m remembering the video correctly and I think JB said something about your swing and high moi not benefiting you as much?

I had a bit better control over the G, but I think it's more about quality of contact.

High MOI is a great thing, but (without trying toot any horn at all) I seem to do a pretty good job with keeping the ball contact near the center of the head. I want something that's going to be a combination of limited spin, high efficiency, and great sound. The G was the preference to me, and actually, the dispersion was better.

At the end of the day, that kind of thing, and the benefits that come from each head.. it's going to come down to the individual and the tendencies of their swing.

Went through a fitting for both of these at a demo day today, and the ST190G was the winner of the two. Better spin, launch, carry, dispersion, and ball speed for me. As a side-note, the ST190 3W was incredible!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My ST190 head weigh 196grams :thumb:
------
Took ST180 & 190 heads to the range today. 190 is longer hits more strikes like you pured it Vs 180 with the same shaft.
I am impressed with striking 190 'all over the face' and getting away with more. Nutted its sick!
190 spin is less flying longer with bit more control. 190 flight is a tad lower than 180 and generating some roll out to sick yardage. I still don't believe the big drives yet (maybe wind or bounce)...but they are out there. I need to go to LM, 190 looks good, it lays up nice open set at 10.5 with a 9.5 head!, the sole plate works to lay it open or square it up mid stance. Sound is great.
Can hit high, hold off bullets / baby cuts, and turn over bombs. I think its a neutral CG head, not hooky at all. 190 has strong power on the ball...its moving out! - My friend 180... I did not think would go!

Last edited:
Another great Range Days segment. It is fun to see so much info and thoughts about clubs and brands I would not consider otherwise. I want to see a spot on the Cortex but I think it will be handicapped by the stock shaft. It would be awesome if after some of these clubs are tested in the stock form they could be optimized by fitting and compared to the original test. Maybe just pick the ones that you feel could be improved upon the most.

Thank you for doing Range Days, your hard work is greatly appreciated.

I hit five recorded shots with each head.

The 13 toe / 12 high numbers represent the number of millimeters I was away from the center of the face with my ball contact.

Thanks! #Imgettingsmartereveryday

Coming up soon.

673c80bd5e93d31909460eb9e54a74da.jpg

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch this last night. I enjoyed this one quite a bit guys. I think it was the best flowing conversation yet. I'll admit I have never swung a Mizuno driver before, which is a bit surprising consider the older ones were blue, but I just haven't seen them in store anywhere.

I did miss the titles on the graphics that showed which category was nice. That being said great info again, I am now smarter after watching this. These drivers look like they could work for a majority of golfers. The G driver was impressive especially in a stock setup, even with the "badder" swings haha.

Taking the ST190G to Vegas with the tour LINQ in there

9bbf79d00d87266487d4c3513985ceda.jpg

Back