Apple Streaming Service

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Rumors are out that the tech company will unveil its new TV Service on March 25th. Thoughts?

Why? Are they making their own content that I am unaware of? Disney having their own service makes sense, Netflix and Amazon have obviously got into the content department, but I don't understand why Apple will have a streaming service.

Apple Streaming Service

Maybe it’s the long rumored pay for what live channels you want model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
Why? Are they making their own content that I am unaware of? Disney having their own service makes sense, Netflix and Amazon have obviously got into the content department, but I don't understand why Apple will have a streaming service.

Same reason Sony, Dish, AT&T and others do. Keep you inside the infrastructure.
Im not sold on the idea at all. Although one thing the company gets right is UI, so I am curious about that part.

I could be interested depending on how much the cost will be on my Apple TV.

I have both of my main TVs connected to Apple and all of my computers, IPads, watches, and phones are on the Apple format.

Same reason Sony, Dish, AT&T and others do. Keep you inside the infrastructure.
Im not sold on the idea at all. Although one thing the company gets right is UI, so I am curious about that part.

dish/At&t are a combined basically cable company, so they have contracts with all the TV channels so I get that. Sony has their own content (they still have a movie studio even) so that is in a much smaller way the Disney model. Apple is a software/hardware company. Must be that they want to get a streaming service in line to compete with something like youtube TV or Fubo so when the contracts with the big cable/satellite companies expire they are in the game already.

If it is a preemptive play for that, it makes sense, but if they are going to try and get into content creation I think it is a big misstep into a crowded market where your competition is doling out huge bucks and started the race a long time ago.

Will be interesting to see what it involves and the price. I'm all for anything streaming that makes my tv watching easier...if it makes sense

I’m for the competition as well as it will help the consumer. I’ve used Sling TV, PSVue, and DirecTV now and they all have shortcomings. I have PSVue now for two different homes but I’m guessing an Apple will make the UI more friendly and less wonky than the current streaming services. My wife, two adult kids, and youngest daughter all use Mac’s, iPads, iPhones, and iCloud fso it would make sense for us to stay within the ecosystem for our streaming.

Rumor has it Apple spent $1B on content last year so we will obviously be seeing at least a few series from them. Nobody has deeper pockets and as an investor I might prefer them spending money on content rather than stock buybacks. They haven’t exactly killed it with the timing of their buybacks the last 5 years.

If I could find my apple tv remote I maybe be interested in this.

If you have an iPhone you can use that instead.

Can’t set it up without the remote. My WiFi PW changed and now i can’t turn it on unless I spend $40-50 on a remote.

dish/At&t are a combined basically cable company, so they have contracts with all the TV channels so I get that. Sony has their own content (they still have a movie studio even) so that is in a much smaller way the Disney model. Apple is a software/hardware company. Must be that they want to get a streaming service in line to compete with something like youtube TV or Fubo so when the contracts with the big cable/satellite companies expire they are in the game already.

If it is a preemptive play for that, it makes sense, but if they are going to try and get into content creation I think it is a big misstep into a crowded market where your competition is doling out huge bucks and started the race a long time ago.

Im with you here, other than Sony's service is not really about their content, but rather competing, which I am for. I have yet to see any of the companies get it right, whether that be from missing channels, lack of solid UI or the worst, terrible buffering during sports. Amazon could get it right, with their AWS systems, which makes me wonder if Apple could too. But it seems more of the typical Apple model of "Hey wait, others are doing this, we should too" idea. See HomePod, apple TV, etc etc etc etc.

Depending on the price, I might dump Netflix and Hulu completely for them.
I am also an Apple fanboy so...

Can’t set it up without the remote. My WiFi PW changed and now i can’t turn it on unless I spend $40-50 on a remote.

Yes, you are right they need to be on the same WiFi network to do it without a remote. I’d try to borrow a buddies remote if you don’t want to drop $40 on a new remote.

I’ll be curious to see what their content will be. Live TV will be only thing they can differentiate in terms of service reliability

Pm me your address and I'll send you mine to use. I use a Harmony remote when I do use the ATV4K device I have.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm zero percent interested in yet another subscription. It's going to take something House of Cards/Game of Thrones level for their original content to even have me semi-interested. And I don't see that happening based on some of the rumors of them pushing for more "family friendly" content.

Include it with my apple music subscription and maybe I'll check some stuff out, but I don't see a scenario where I sign up for this.

Rumors are out that the tech company will unveil its new TV Service on March 25th. Thoughts?

Heck since we sport everything else they offer why the heck not.

I'm zero percent interested in yet another subscription. It's going to take something House of Cards/Game of Thrones level for their original content to even have me semi-interested. And I don't see that happening based on some of the rumors of them pushing for more "family friendly" content.

Include it with my apple music subscription and maybe I'll check some stuff out, but I don't see a scenario where I sign up for this.

I’m with you. It will definitely have to be impressive for me to be interested and I don’t think it will be that impressive. The one big thing Apple has is the clout to push the networks into playing ball on Apples terms. So there’s a chance they get a solid number of networks on board.

I have an Apple TV in all rooms at home and all my clinics, so this is interesting to me. I wonder about content.

Been contemplating switching from cable to a streaming service so I'm interested in seeing what they can offer that differentiates them from the competition.

Back