The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

After years of thinking we would someday move back to NC my wife came clean that she wants to go to Florida when I hit 50 and my youngest graduates high school. She is spending spring break (next week) with my oldest looking at properties in Naples with the idea of buying something now that can be used for vacations or in my case work'cations. We have a condo off the mainland already so looks like my retirement will be surrounded by water no matter how we cut it.

Naples is nice. Sadly the entire west coast is peaking right now in terms of price. I have a feeling that changes over the next 18 months though.

You are likely right. It won't be the last bad real estate decision I make!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonight started the beginning of the house hunting for Dawn and I. Over the last 2-3 months we have been getting an idea of the area that we want to buy and getting her house ready to sell.

Did some driving around a little west of Indy at a few homes that are for sale and it gave us an idea of what some the neighborhoods looked like.

Fortunately we are pretty close on what we want in a house, so I am hoping the search won't take too long.

Tonight started the beginning of the house hunting for Dawn and I. Over the last 2-3 months we have been getting an idea of the area that we want to buy and getting her house ready to sell.

Did some driving around a little west of Indy at a few homes that are for sale and it gave us an idea of what some the neighborhoods looked like.

Fortunately we are pretty close on what we want in a house, so I am hoping the search won't take too long.

I do not approve of the west side since that means I'll need to take 70 all the way over instead of back roads. Good luck on the hunt.

I do not approve of the west side since that means I'll need to take 70 all the way over instead of back roads. Good luck on the hunt.
Haha we are staying relatively close to her family and I had no chance of winning that debate.

Understandable buddy so new course for you then?
Going to start doing some scouting over the next couple of weeks, but it will be a new course for me.

What a roller coaster we've been on, the previous owner didn't pay state or federal taxes for many years and somehow evaded property taxes too. They wanted us to pay the back taxes on the property if we wanted the house, needless to say we declined. Just as we were ready to move on we got a call a couple days ago asking if we were still interested and it's moving forward again, Home inspection tomorrow, appraisal today, locked in mortgage rate at 3.5% and we may be in it after all if the inspection comes back solid and it appraises.

What a roller coaster we've been on, the previous owner didn't pay state or federal taxes for many years and somehow evaded property taxes too. They wanted us to pay the back taxes on the property if we wanted the house, needless to say we declined. Just as we were ready to move on we got a call a couple days ago asking if we were still interested and it's moving forward again, Home inspection tomorrow, appraisal today, locked in mortgage rate at 3.5% and we may be in it after all if the inspection comes back solid and it appraises.

Who's picking up the back taxes?

I'm going to be in the market this winter. It's so frustrating that at my budget, if I was willing to move like 30 miles north of where I am, I can get a 5,000 sq ft mansion with indoor pool, 6 bedrooms 7 bathrooms.....but if I stay in my current town or surrounding towns I get a 1400 sq ft "fixer upper" built when the British were still in charge of things...

Unfortunately, my commute to work everyday would be on the 2 busiest highways in MA, at the 2 busiest times of day, and I'm not willing to sacrifice 3 hours a day commuting. That's time I can be spending with my kids.

I'm going to be in the market this winter. It's so frustrating that at my budget, if I was willing to move like 30 miles north of where I am, I can get a 5,000 sq ft mansion with indoor pool, 6 bedrooms 7 bathrooms.....but if I stay in my current town or surrounding towns I get a 1400 sq ft "fixer upper" built when the British were still in charge of things...

Unfortunately, my commute to work everyday would be on the 2 busiest highways in MA, at the 2 busiest times of day, and I'm not willing to sacrifice 3 hours a day commuting. That's time I can be spending with my kids.

I'm in a similar situation down here in the south shore. We are selling a rental property and looking for our first house in April. The taxes are the thing that get me; I can have a 1600 sq ft house on 1/4 acre in the town my son goes to school and pay $5-7k in property taxes. Literally, 1/4 mile down the road I can get a house double the size on 2 acres of land and pay $2k in property taxes. It's nuts!

I'm in a similar situation down here in the south shore. We are selling a rental property and looking for our first house in April. The taxes are the thing that get me; I can have a 1600 sq ft house on 1/4 acre in the town my son goes to school and pay $5-7k in property taxes. Literally, 1/4 mile down the road I can get a house double the size on 2 acres of land and pay $2k in property taxes. It's nuts!

That smells like a NE thing, when I left NJ in 03 I was paying $27K in taxes on a house that while nice did not warrant that type of tax bill. Pretty bad when you spend that much on taxes and you wouldn't consider sending your kids to the local school.

That smells like a NE thing, when I left NJ in 03 I was paying $27K in taxes on a house that while nice did not warrant that type of tax bill. Pretty bad when you spend that much on taxes and you wouldn't consider sending your kids to the local school.

It is. MA vs. RI although the schools in the town with higher taxes are better in this case.

Move to Texas man you can live like a king for 300k.

Around here that will get you a modest home but nothing special.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I need to be within a reasonable drive of Boston. It's where all my businesses are, properties, etc....

If I could, I would be in North Carolina in a second.

PLus, I'm not the most social...making new friends is tough.

Found our new house - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/224-E-Swon-Ave_Webster-Groves_MO_63119_M81326-51982

bcfd7d69d2f498ed05d9c97764fee435l-m0xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

Who's picking up the back taxes?

Wouldn't be surprised if they were coming from the sellers proceeds. If they had a few years of back taxes, I'm surprised someone didn't buy the tax bill and just sit there hoping and waiting they'd land on a gold mine.

House hunt is in full swing. Photographer is coming tomorrow to take pictures of my house and it will be listed soon.

Housing market is pretty dead right now around here. Spring time will kick it up a bunch.

Nice looking place. The 16x29 golf/man cave should work when you have all of that white junk on the ground.

Ha ha! The only reason I want the houses for that room. It will fit my brewing my woodworking my golf in my cigars. Unfortunately it's a little too expensive for us. But I can dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back