Putting versus hitting balls!!

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
How much, if any, time do you spend putting or hitting balls before you start your round? This should be your average not the exception, please!

I try to hit balls for at least 20 minutes and putt for 15 minutes.

I try to get to the course and hour before my tee time and warm up on the range and then putt and chip for 20-30 min.

How much, if any, time do you spend putting or hitting balls before you start your round? This should be your average not the exception, please!

I try to hit balls for at least 20 minutes and putt for 15 minutes.

If I've got 20 minutes before my round, I'll hit for 5 minutes and putt for 15. If I've got 30 minutes I'll hit for 10 and putt for 20. Etc.

I try to do 10-20 minutes each, I need to warm up on the range and get a feel for the greens

Average is close to 0 minutes. Most of my rounds are played on a whim and usually have to be fit in as a single during the day. I can get 9 holes done, by myself, in under 80 minutes. There is no time for warm ups. I'm young enough that I have not had issues with this approach.

Before a round, I spend about 15 - 20 hitting balls about 10 putting. If I have more time, I'll use the short game area for 10 as well. If there isn't a range, I'll putt the majority of the time before the round.

I usually putt for 10 minutes, but I very rarely hit on the range. If the course has one and I have time, I'll hit the chipping green instead of the range for 10 or 15 minutes.

On average, 10 to 15 minutes or enough to hit maybe 7 or 8 shots with three clubs, gap wedge, 7 iron, Driver. Putting generally about 15 minutes as well.

Average is close to 0 minutes. Most of my rounds are played on a whim and usually have to be fit in as a single during the day. I can get 9 holes done, by myself, in under 80 minutes. There is no time for warm ups. I'm young enough that I have not had issues with this approach.

Pretty much same situation for me. It's rare that my warmup is more than a couple practice swings on the first tee.

good stretch before I leave the house, stretch at the course, hit maybe 2 drivers into the next, putt for 5 minutes and off I go. (my course has no area for driving range.)

Pretty much same situation for me. It's rare that my warmup is more than a couple practice swings on the first tee.
If you're like me, that will probably be one of the best tee shots of the round.

I like to have at least 30 minutes prior to teeing of....20 minutes would be on the range and 10 minutes to putting....

I'm usually working on my swing until about May which means most of the time I'll hit balls for about 25 minutes before a round and putt for 5. Once May gets here it's mostly just playing golf and not much range time so I only need about 5 minutes of stretching and 15-20 balls to get warmed up. It's too hot here most days in the summer for me to hit balls for more than 10 minutes. Normally I practice putt at home a few hours a week so a few minutes on a putting green to get the speed is all I need.

Average 15 minutes putting before each round.
The only time I hit balls is if they are included with the round and even then it's only about a 5 minute warm-up. Otherwise I just grab a couple of irons on the first tee and swing them together to get loose.

Little to no time spent on the putting green.

I like to stretch before I play so I don't feel stiff the first couple of holes. But as for warming up before a round, I was always told "Why practice bad habits?".

I spend far too much time hitting balls and not nearly enough putting.

I could probably save 5 strokes a round by moving from being a terrible putter to simply a below average one, but putting just isn't much fun. I also have no idea how to actually improve my skills, so I always feel like I'm just wasting my time on the practice green.

I may spend any amount doing either or none. If/when I have time I will putt and ht balls. If I am pressed fpr time a try to putt till I am called.

Wish I had time. Typically be4 rounds I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to just make my tee time on time

i'll usually hit balls for 15-20 minutes, although i could go as long as an hour if time is not an issue. then i'll putt for 5-10 minutes and maybe chip and pitch if there's a designated area. with no time constraints and if it's not miserably hot, i'm fine to hit balls for an hour before i play, then for an hour after i play and practice short game for another hour.

The average round where I play alone I usually just go straight to the tee and use a breakfast ball if need be. If I haven't played the course I will hit the putting green up for 5 minutes. If I am playing with people and want to not suck 15 minutes on the range is my norm. Mostly I just go through the motions from stiff, to snap hook, to pulls, to cuts and then driving the ball straight. If I can get that out of the way on the range I can usually not suck. When I go through those motions on course I might suck off the tee for the first 14 holes.

30 to 40 minutes on the range and 20 to 30 minutes chipping and putting, if it is a round I care about.

I rarely do anything pre round. I'm lucky most days just to have the time to play. If there is a wait, at most I may putt a little to get a feel for the speed that day.

Back