Are spike-less shoes actually more comfortable?

arwin

Reaction score
Just reading a few threads on people's opinion on spike vs spike-less and was wondering why people have the opinion that spike-less shoes are more comfortable.
I have a few pairs of spiked shoes and a pair of the spike-less shoe. I don't get the feeling that a spike-less shoe is any more or less comfortable than a spiked shoe.

I mean, the spikes are at the bottom of the shoe and should not have any bearing on how the materials fit on your feet.
I could see how walking on pavement would make the shoe feel different based on the spikes on the bottom, but that's more of an annoying clicking when walking or having a feeling of no traction on pavement with the spiked shoe.

The last of the shoe and insole of the shoe should determine if a shoe is comfortable or not and the spikes on the bottom should be irrelevant, no?

IMO, absolutely.

BUT, you have to remember, like any type of shoe there are still comfortable designs for you and not so comfortable designs.

I prefer spikeless for comfort, though some recent spiked options like the Ignites are giving me the same comfort in a spiked shoe.

I do also believe insole DOES matter too, but in all shoes.

I would say it depends on the person and depends on what fits them. I've had spikeless I've hated (true linkswear) and some I've loved (puma bio drive leather). Same goes for spiked. Just gotta find what's best for you

For me they are just more convenient. I can wear them to and from the course and into any place I might stop and go in on the way. My two pair of ECCO shoes are as comfortable if not more than any other shoes I own.

For me I think so. James said it well but I just find with spiked shoes that I feel them in certain spots and it really makes it uncomfortable for me. To each their own and some will like them and others won't.

But I don't think the spikes are irrelevant, they can be placed wrong for your feet. I do think insoles can help but for me is not worth trying on things of shoes to try and find one that fit. I like spikeless so I stick with them.

I don't necessarily think they are more or less comfortable. To me the offer a different kind of connection or feel with the ground. But I've spiked shoes that I could wear all day and be comfortable in, same for spikeless. Also have had spikeless and spiked shoes on that I couldn't stand. Insoles definitely matter as well.

I don't necessarily think spikeless equals more comfortable. One of the most uncomfortable pairs I have ever owned were spikeless.

Currently I wear spikes, and love them. I am on the lookout for a new pair of spikeless to pair with my spikes, for a good change of pace.

I think it depends on the wearer and their preference and also the shoes, not all spikeless are created the same and not all spikes are created equal

I think the spiked shoes that a lot of people have experience with are the traditional golf shoe. Spiked or not, I've switched to more sneaker-like shoes and its night and day in comfort.

I think especially on harder ground spikeless is always going to be more comfortable - less pressure where the spikes are. But there are some really, really comfortable spiked shoes out there.

Definitely more comfortable. I haven't used my spikes since I bought my Ecco hybrids.

I haven't found spikeless shoes to be any more comfortable. I have owned several pairs from several different brands and my most comfortable shoes still have spikes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

For me, yes.

Depends on shoe and person. I have been wearing more spikeless shoes than spikes because of the comfort of them.

I like the spikeless shoes because they can be worn off the course. Until recently spikeless might have the edge in comfort, but recent spiked offerings have bridged that gap IMO. Puma and Nike does this well. I also agree a good insert does wonders

In my limited experience I've found that spikeless are more comfortable for me. But I don't wear them to play golf because they don't offer enough traction for me/my swing.

I went to spikeless shoes this season and I don't know if I will ever go back to spiked shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that there are comfortable spiked and spikeless shoes.
I like the BOA lacing system, which only comes with spiked shoes. I also like ECCO spikeless shoes, and I know people who swear by the low drop TrueLinkswear shoes.

I figure, if it is important to you, to just try on a bunch of shoes, see which ones YOU find most comfortable!!

For me they are just more convenient. I can wear them to and from the course and into any place I might stop and go in on the way. My two pair of ECCO shoes are as comfortable if not more than any other shoes I own.

I couldn't t have said this any better. Even down to the spike-less ECCOs.

The ONLY time I break out the spikes is when there has been a massive amount of rain and the course is a mud pit. Which is almost never here in South Texas.

I don't necessarily think they are more or less comfortable. To me the offer a different kind of connection or feel with the ground. But I've spiked shoes that I could wear all day and be comfortable in, same for spikeless. Also have had spikeless and spiked shoes on that I couldn't stand. Insoles definitely matter as well.

This is me as well. I don't find that the kind of spikes or lack there of have any bearing on comfort specifically.

Personally don't think it has anything to do with spike vs spikeless. I have a few pair of adidas both spiked and non and they are extremely comfortable. TBH if I don't look down at my feet I wouldn't be able to tell you which pair I was wearing.

For me spikeless are way more comfortable. I have worn my spiked shoes once this past year and I regretted it the entire time.

Really it depends on the shoe and what you like. I have the Hyperflex with the spikes and love them.

I haven't worn shoes with spikes in 3 1/2 years and probably never will again...hands down more comfortable, plus I can wear them from home to the course to the grocery store after the round on the way home.

Back in the old days, about 5 yrs or so ago, spiked shoes were uncomfortable around the 13th hole for me - it seemed the spikes were coming through the shoe. Flash forward with a pair of Ecco Biom Lace with spikes, Adidas Asym Boost with smaller spikes, etc. and you have comfortable spiked shoes. I think the design of the spikes have changed recently - smaller, less number of spikes, or something. I still prefer spikeless for versatility, they don't play with my mind as to comfort, and I like them for less potential injury. The problem I have with spikes has more to do with knee injuries - less give. As you get older when you torque the front leg, the spikes have no give. good luck.

For me, Spikeless shoes are more comfortable to wear and I can put them on at home and wear them all the way back to the house. They also clean off very easily. I have had no issues with traction on wet grass either. Tim

Back