Identity theft sucks!

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I dealt with this in early 2008. Lots of issues: credit cards copied and used up and down the east coast at ATM's, accounts at Home Depot, AT&T and other places opened up. Thought I got it all taken care of by 2009 (I had filed police reports, filed fraud statements with these companies, locked down my credit reports so no one - not even me - can access them and open any accounts without my prior permission) but today a collections showed up on my credit report again. It was for the AT&T account I thought had been taken care of years ago.

So they are going to send me another fraud statement to fill out, I'll probably have to go file another police report as well. What a pain. I worked so hard to get my credit score over 750 before we got our HELOC in 2007 (thanks to my ex wife who let our house get repo'd my score was in the mid 500's as late as 2006), and I guess it looked real attractive to some guy in FLORIDA! I am supposed to get this new report in a few days and send it back in. Hope it goes away this time!

Word to the wise: contact the credit bureaus and lock down your credit reports. It's 15 bucks a month, and for the peace of mind, it's worth it. You can use companies like LifeLock too, but I prefer to work with the credit agencies myself.

It works, too, I had to open it up when I got my loan for my car, plus they had to talk to me as well, and I locked it back up after I drove it home.

Man that sucks smalls I'm sorry. I live in fear of this and have been considering lifelock for some time now.

Sorry to hear that man; sounds like a VERY frustrating experience to go through. Hope the AT&T one is the last for you buddy!

That is horrible! Makes you feel violated. My mom has had issues like this. And on my trip to Florida last week, the friend I met in Orlando just had it happen to him WHILE I WAS THERE. I'm waiting for it to happen to me now and check my bank account at least once a day. What a HUGE inconvenience.

Thanks, luckily I haven't been on the hook for any of the dollar amounts that were gotten illegally, and that includes over $7,000 from the ATM's. The biggest headache of this whole thing is the time I have wasted taking care of it. I was on the phone for over three hours just today. Probably a good 100 hours or more since this thing started in 2008. What a pain this has been. You don't want to have to deal with it.

Really sucks man! One of the bad things of modern living. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

If you have a PS3,

"Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment have made arrangements with Debix to offer the AllClear ID PLUS identity theft protection program to PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers who are concerned about identity theft following the criminal cyber attack on the network. AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help protect you from identity theft. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators. Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStation Network and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll.

In order to be eligible, account holders must be residents of the United States with active accounts as of April 20, 2011."

I hate it for you Smallie, one of our company VP's was a victim in the late 90's and he got hit hard. The company began a idenity protection awareness program back then. It is scary stuff for sure.

Back