TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

After my first 2 rounds with my R11 last week, I was not feeling the love for this club. For the next 6 days after my last round, I spent 2 days with the launch monitor and 3 days out on the range. After grooving a swing and changing my settings I was ready to hit the course yesterday to see if my changes would work. I am extremely happy to report that I hit the R11 really good yesterday, hitting all my fairways with it except for 1. I was getting good distance on mis hits and when struck in the sweet spot I was getting big time distance. My last tee shot of the day measured 293 in 42 degree temps with normal fairway conditions. I consistently hit it straight with a little baby draw. I changed the loft from 8 to 9 and put the ASP plate on neutral. When I got fitted, my swing was off and I kept leaving it to the right, which is why my original ASP setting was closed. I also thought 8 degrees was to low for me and when I changed it to 9 degrees my spin rates were still in the correct range. I really worked hard to get this club working for me but it was worth the effort!

After my first 2 rounds with my R11 last week, I was not feeling the love for this club. For the next 6 days after my last round, I spent 2 days with the launch monitor and 3 days out on the range. After grooving a swing and changing my settings I was ready to hit the course yesterday to see if my changes would work. I am extremely happy to report that I hit the R11 really good yesterday, hitting all my fairways with it except for 1. I was getting good distance on mis hits and when struck in the sweet spot I was getting big time distance. My last tee shot of the day measured 293 in 42 degree temps with normal fairway conditions. I consistently hit it straight with a little baby draw. I changed the loft from 8 to 9 and put the ASP plate on neutral. When I got fitted, my swing was off and I kept leaving it to the right, which is why my original ASP setting was closed. I also thought 8 degrees was to low for me and when I changed it to 9 degrees my spin rates were still in the correct range. I really worked hard to get this club working for me but it was worth the effort!

Nice, only 1 fairway miss is a great day

R11 soleplate

R11 soleplate

How does the R11 soleplate affect lie angle?Only thing I can think of is when you ground club before teeing it affects angle,since I don't ground my club at address not sure it would work.I have looked up how it works at Taylormade website and it isn't fully explained.Any info appreciated.Looking into purchasing one possibly.I have hit one at Dick's and it's great.Salesperson had no idea how it worked LOL.

Merged this with the R11 thread. I think you will get a few more responses in this one.

How does the R11 soleplate affect lie angle?Only thing I can think of is when you ground club before teeing it affects angle,since I don't ground my club at address not sure it would work.I have looked up how it works at Taylormade website and it isn't fully explained.Any info appreciated.Looking into purchasing one possibly.I have hit one at Dick's and it's great.Salesperson had no idea how it worked LOL.

yes it works when you sole the club. when its in open it sits down in the head and when its neutral and closed it sits up higher, it really works well if you sole the club at address

I know there were a ton of questions about this a while back and I'm not sure if it was ever settled. So, today while I was at a local golf expo I made a point to talk to a Taylormade fitting rep who was there. He's from one of the most exclusive private clubs in the region (the club is home to 1 of only 5 TM fitting labs in the country). Here's the bottom line according to him....

Hosel adjustments are for loft; weights are for ball flight draw/fade; sole plate is for face angle at address and according to him has little to nothing to do with performance but simply how it suits the player's eye. So instead of playing a closed face driver like my FTIQ which some people just can't stand over comfortably, you could set the weights to draw and set the face to open/neutral/closed, whatever appeals to you. I asked him 3 times to be sure I was understanding him, and he confirmed that the sole plate is for making lie adjustments for the purpose of visual appealing to the player, not altering club performance. He actually said, "It's like you've regripped the club".

Anyway, that's what the man said...

I thought Kaymer was using the R11 but today his driver was black....he still using the R9? What other pros are using the R11 now?

Yes Kaymer is still using the R9 Supertri. Dustin Johnson, Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose, Robert Garrigus, Sean O'Hair, Davis Love III are a few but there are many more. What suprises me is how many non Taylormade staffers who are using either the R11 driver, fairway and rescues...... says something about the line I would think.

I got a chance to mess with this in person yesterday, simulator was taken so no launch numbers, but the first thing I noticed was how clean the crown looks, it's very simple and the white just shines! I did notice the R11 was a bit heavier than the superfast 2.0. My curiosity is tickled, can't wait to hit it!

its a matte white so it shouldnt be shiny, unless that was another way of saying the white looks awesome lol

Perhaps it's because I played the FT Tour prior to the R11, but I find it to be pretty forgiving. I don't lose much distance on mishits and I find it to be a very straight and light driver. Then again, my comparison is with the FT Tour.

I saw someone absolutely crushing this driver at the PGA SS yesterday. I still maintain one of the best looking drivers out there. I didn't get to hit it but it was pretty busy there. I dont know if PGA SS regripped it but I noticed a white 2g wrap I believe on it. Still sounds different to me than the R9 series but it looks really good.

I definitely intend on spending some time with this driver when I get a chance. I wasn't too fond of the stock Blur shaft but I did like the sound, and I especially liked the black face and how it frames the golf ball.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I wasnt either at first with Blur. Second time I hit it, it seemed to work a lot better. Of course I was in the sim but the ball flight seemed a little high with the standard Blur. It felt "whippy" on practice swings but upon contact it was pretty stable.

I definitely intend on spending some time with this driver when I get a chance. I wasn't too fond of the stock Blur shaft but I did like the sound, and I especially liked the black face and how it frames the golf ball.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so I hit my r11 for the first time yesterday and hit some lazers around the range. Used to have a 9.5* and hit a 9* at std loft. Today im increasing the loft 1* and changing face to open just to have some fun with it. I think I tuned it correctly but just one question for other r11 users.

When you change the loft to you just spin the tip or rotate the whole shaft, seems if you rotate the whole shaft the grip will be off. At the same time I can rotate the tip, doesnt seem to move and dont really wanna snap it off

I felt the same with the Blur the first time I hit it. I was using the stiff because they dont usually stock x-flex shafts ... however the more I used the Blur the more I liked it .... it seemed to fit my swing well. Sure my launch angle and spin rates were tiny bit away from my optimum #'s but that was to be expected with the stiff shaft for me. I can absolutely crush this driver with the Blur and am glad I spent more time with the shaft on the monitor before spending a extra 100 bucks for one of the Tp shafts.

so I hit my r11 for the first time yesterday and hit some lazers around the range. Used to have a 9.5* and hit a 9* at std loft. Today im increasing the loft 1* and changing face to open just to have some fun with it. I think I tuned it correctly but just one question for other r11 users.

When you change the loft to you just spin the tip or rotate the whole shaft, seems if you rotate the whole shaft the grip will be off. At the same time I can rotate the tip, doesnt seem to move and dont really wanna snap it off

You can't rotate the tip!!! When you loosen the bolt on the bottom of the head the shaft will come out of the head .... then you rotate the whole deal to your preferred setting and retighten.

You can't rotate the tip!!! When you loosen the bolt on the bottom of the head the shaft will come out of the head .... then you rotate the whole deal to your preferred setting and retighten.

awesome thats what i figured. just wanted to confirm, need to the whole new drivers thing. Been a long time since Ive had a nice driver

awesome thats what i figured. just wanted to confirm, need to the whole new drivers thing. Been a long time since Ive had a nice driver

Haha no worries!!! Enjoy the R11, you made a good choice.

Cheers!!!

enjoy that R11, im sure you deserve it if its been along time since you had a nice one.

I got a sweet deal on a new R11 and I needed a new drive so I purchased one and got it before it even hit stores. I still have yet to hit it (MN and we have snow on the ground).

I have read on other post on this thread about the red soleplate. yet when I spin it I cannot really tell how this thing actually would work or really if it does anything..

I have read on other post on this thread about the red soleplate. yet when I spin it I cannot really tell how this thing actually would work or really if it does anything..

It was mentioned in the previous pages :) Apparently it does nothing really, except cosmetics. Say you prefer an open clubface at address (I do), set it to open. Maybe you prefer a closed look or neutral? You can get it the way you want.

It was mentioned in the previous pages :) Apparently it does nothing really, except cosmetics. Say you prefer an open clubface at address (I do), set it to open. Maybe you prefer a closed look or neutral? You can get it the way you want.

it actually does alot lol, the asp is just plain awesome, Say i want to add some loft but dont want a closed clubface which is what happens when you add loft, set the ASP to open and now its a square clubface instead of closed. I like a open club face, if i leave the FCT on Neutral which is 9*(for my driver) all i have to do is set the ASP to open and i now have open clubface. The ability to change the face angle without affecting loft is a big deal to me, with my supertri i had to lower the loft to have a open face angle but not anymore.

10YD, Excellent post and you are quite right!
it actually does alot lol, the asp is just plain awesome, Say i want to add some loft but dont want a closed clubface which is what happens when you add loft, set the ASP to open and now its a square clubface instead of closed. I like a open club face, if i leave the FCT on Neutral which is 9*(for my driver) all i have to do is set the ASP to open and i now have open clubface. The ability to change the face angle without affecting loft is a big deal to me, with my supertri i had to lower the loft to have a open face angle but not anymore.

10YD, Excellent post and you are quite right!

Thanks man, even though some say it doesnt help with performance i actually think it does and doesnt at the same time lol, It only changes face angle which isnt gonna add yards or take yards away but the confidence is where im seeing the gain from it, looking down at the driver and being able to have it setup exactly how you like it (open for me) makes me be able to really go after it and not worry about missing left. Also being able to add some loft and not have a closed face really adds some confidence as well, again i dont worry about missing left. Hope this makes sense

Back