new workout...and added 60yds off the tee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longest hitter I have ever played with in 35+ years of golf, is a 18 year old from our area that does not weigh 140 soaking wet. His arms are half the size of mine. He is currently playing at IPFW in Ft. Wayne. His current driving average is 288.9. Many things equal distance the least of which is muscles and strength. The biggest guy is rarely the longest hitter.

If consuming large cans of spinach are part of this workout count me in!

You have still failed to mention what specifically you are doing in this magical workout. Or do we need to send $19.99 in a self adressed, stamped envelope?

I believe that you believe everything you are saying is 100% true. No one is calling you a liar.

Can you describe how these distances are being measured?
golfshot gps.

and actually, besides you...it does seem that people are calling me a liar. not sure what my driving distance has to do with their egos but apparently there is some connection that has people skeptical about something...

Last edited:
You have still failed to mention what specifically you are doing in this magical workout. Or do we need to send $19.99 in a self adressed, stamped envelope?
it was mentioned by another member, nothing special...for forearms just barbell/dumbbell wrist curls and extensions, bar/rope work, and dumbbell supination/pronation. bi/tri workouts are a combo dumbbells, cables, and curl bar...basicslly whatever is free in the gym that day.

golfshot gps.

and actually, besides you...it does seem that people are calling me a liar. not sure what my driving distance has to do with their egos but apparently there is some connection that has people skeptical about something...

it was mentioned by another member, nothing special...for forearms just barbell/dumbbell wrist curls and extensions, bar/rope work, and dumbbell supination/pronation. bi/tri workouts are a combo dumbbells, cables, and curl bar...basicslly whatever is free in the gym that day.

I'm really happy this routine has done so much for your driving distance, and thank you for sharing your thoughts. People on this forum (including myself) are just regular golfers with normal yardages in general and when we see someone with distances equaling or surpasing tour pro's they become naturally suspicious. I don't think your lying about your yardages, but its crazy that you gained so much from one change in your workout.

golfshot gps.

I don't think THP members think less of themselves based on your posts. That's not the message I am reading anyway. People are leery because you are claiming world class distances from your driver. I will take a leap and say you are not a world class player. It's not a slam on you bro, it's just the way it is.

I guess the next question I have is how far are you hitting your 8 iron now?

Where there any other things about your golf game that changed? 60 yards of increase is just ... wow. Playing in higher elevations? Become significantly more flexible?

I don't think THP members think less of themselves based on your posts. That's not the message I am reading anyway. People are leery because you are claiming world class distances from your driver. I will take a leap and say you are not a world class player. It's not a slam on you bro, it's just the way it is.

I guess the next question I have is how far are you hitting your 8 iron now?
i'm definitely not a world class player so that's not a leap. some people just took this on a tangent with their skepticism of a fact that really was irrelevant.

i've seen an increase of about 5-7yds with my irons. however, my irons have never coincided with my driver distance and i only hit my 8 iron to 160 max.

Where there any other things about your golf game that changed? 60 yards of increase is just ... wow. Playing in higher elevations? Become significantly more flexible?
i agree...it is "wow"! no other changes and i'm playing my home courses. i don't stretch so flexibility hasn't changed either. i wish i had more answers because this is hard for me to believe as well.

my normal playing partners are also dumbfounded. i used to be 5-10yds past them and now am 50yds up. none of us can explain it which is why i posted...the only change has been my workout.

Last edited:
golfshot gps.

I think it has to be coincidence that you have gained this yardage after starting this workout. There is simply no way that working out your forearms would do that. I know that I go through some pretty big swings in distance throughout the golf year. I don't know why I just do. Congrats though

i agree...it is "wow"! no other changes and i'm playing my home courses. i don't stretch so flexibility hasn't changed either. i wish i had more answers because this is hard for me to believe as well.

my normal playing partners are also dumbfounded. i used to be 5-10yds past them and now am 50yds up. none of us can explain it which is why i posted...the only change has been my workout.

I wont get into whether or not you are hitting it 350 yards or not, because frankly it matters little. But this line I found intriguing to say the least. In the original post you said you had lost distance (30 yards) in the last few years and were averaging 265 with a few 280s in there. Meaning you were routinely hitting it over 300 yards previously. Here you said you were only 5-10 yards past them now. So in your group, of lets say 4 golfers, you all are in the 275 yards and up crowd. Not going to lie, those are staggering numbers based on driver distances in todays world for amateur golfers.

I would love to see some launch monitor numbers of ball speed, spin and launch angle you are getting. This is something I strive for and would love to see what I can do to get to this level. Especially considering where your iron numbers appear to be. Im not a long hitter at all and any workout that is going (or could) get this kind of distance gain, is something I absolutely would try.

I wont get into whether or not you are hitting it 350 yards or not, because frankly it matters little. But this line I found intriguing to say the least. In the original post you said you had lost distance (30 yards) in the last few years and were averaging 265 with a few 280s in there. Meaning you were routinely hitting it over 300 yards previously. Here you said you were only 5-10 yards past them now. So in your group, of lets say 4 golfers, you all are in the 275 yards and up crowd. Not going to lie, those are staggering numbers based on driver distances in todays world for amateur golfers.

I would love to see some launch monitor numbers of ball speed, spin and launch angle you are getting. This is something I strive for and would love to see what I can do to get to this level. Especially considering where your iron numbers appear to be. Im not a long hitter at all and any workout that is going (or could) get this kind of distance gain, is something I absolutely would try.

as i mentioned in my first post, i chalked up those fluke 350yd drives to hard/scalped fairways. those are crazy numbers that i will never produce again, maybe not even under those perfect conditions. however, my last round was still consistently over 300yds. yes, several years ago i was averaging a little over 290 with at least 1 or 2 per round over 300...and believe it or not, my 8 iron distance back then was only 145. i'm stuck with a baseball swing so hitting the driver has always been easier for me. however, when it comes to my group, we're all low single digit handicaps so i don't find it unreasonable to believe we all drive the ball 260+. actually, we're all a bit disappointed with those numbers as just a few years ago we all used to average 280+. now age and other injuries have caught up to most of us and my buddies don't work out like they used to. one of my partners is an ex nhl player and used to hit the ball over 350 on occassion.

actually, that's a good idea. i'll try to get on a launch monitor asap and see what the heck is going on.

actually, that's a good idea. i'll try to get on a launch monitor asap and see what the heck is going on.

Thanks, I am interested to see what is going on.

as i mentioned in my first post, i chalked up those fluke 350yd drives to hard/scalped fairways. those are crazy numbers that i will never produce again, maybe not even under those perfect conditions. however, my last round was still consistently over 300yds. yes, several years ago i was averaging a little over 290 with at least 1 or 2 per round over 300...and believe it or not, my 8 iron distance back then was only 145. i'm stuck with a baseball swing so hitting the driver has always been easier for me. however, when it comes to my group, we're all low single digit handicaps so i don't find it unreasonable to believe we all drive the ball 260+. actually, we're all a bit disappointed with those numbers as just a few years ago we all used to average 280+. now age and other injuries have caught up to most of us and my buddies don't work out like they used to. one of my partners is an ex nhl player and used to hit the ball over 350 on occassion.

Are we speaking carry or carry plus roll numbers? I too play with almost all single digit golfers and none of us average 280+ carry. Those are longer than a LOT PGA Tour players (carry) and something that most golfers would only dream of. If we are talking carry + roll, that can be a geography thing of course. Where I live there is absolutely no roll due to flat land, type of grass, etc...Whereas when you go to other areas and get 35 yards of roll distances can become rather skewed. Do you know your swing speed? I mean you are talking about some gaping huge gaps in the lower end of your bag I am guessing right?

Maybe you have absolutely the perfect launch numbers (not unheard of) and are catching lightning in a bottle right now.

I think it has to be coincidence that you have gained this yardage after starting this workout. There is simply no way that working out your forearms would do that. I know that I go through some pretty big swings in distance throughout the golf year. I don't know why I just do. Congrats though
as much as i'd like to know what the change is so that i can at least attempt to reproduce it or train properly...it very well could be a coincidence. i think i'm going to force one of my partners back in the gym and ask him to focus on arms/forearms and see what happens.

If I could get it out to 280 even fairly regularly I would score better. That would be a 30+ yard increase. I see about 250 with my TMC R11. Some longer, some shorter, but a solid shot is in the 250 range. At 280 I'd be giddy with so many short irons in my hands for approach shots. It would also bring the greens on all the par fives at my home course easily into play for a second shot. Especially the two doglegs where 280 would get me just past the trees at the corners.

Are you shooting much lower scores with the increased distance off the tee?

Kevin

Are we speaking carry or carry plus roll numbers? I too play with almost all single digit golfers and none of us average 280+ carry. Those are longer than a LOT PGA Tour players (carry) and something that most golfers would only dream of. If we are talking carry + roll, that can be a geography thing of course. Where I live there is absolutely no roll due to flat land, type of grass, etc...Whereas when you go to other areas and get 35 yards of roll distances can become rather skewed. Do you know your swing speed? I mean you are talking about some gaping huge gaps in the lower end of your bag I am guessing right?

Maybe you have absolutely the perfect launch numbers (not unheard of) and are catching lightning in a bottle right now.

definitely talking total yardage, not carry only...and you're right, that makes a difference. i live in az and we can usually get a decent 20yds roll as long as launch angle is appropriate.

last i measured (and i don't know how accurate the pga superstore's monitors are), my driver swing speed averaged was 105. i don't know any other clubs ss's and i do have a about 20yd gaps between p-8. nothing i can't manage but the gaps are there...

i sure hope i can keep up this phenomenon!

definitely talking total yardage, not carry only...and you're right, that makes a difference. i live in az and we can usually get a decent 20yds roll as long as launch angle is appropriate.

last i measured (and i don't know how accurate the pga superstore's monitors are), my driver swing speed averaged was 105. i don't know any other clubs ss's and i do have a about 20yd gaps between p-8. nothing i can't manage but the gaps are there...

WOW, well at 105 you would be no where near the numbers you are hitting the ball even with perfect numbers so you must have increased your swing speed a lot

If I could get it out to 280 even fairly regularly I would score better. That would be a 30+ yard increase. I see about 250 with my TMC R11. Some longer, some shorter, but a solid shot is in the 250 range. At 280 I'd be giddy with so many short irons in my hands for approach shots. It would also bring the greens on all the par fives at my home course easily into play for a second shot. Especially the two doglegs where 280 would get me just past the trees at the corners.

Are you shooting much lower scores with the increased distance off the tee?

Kevin
i've never had a second shot under 200yds into a 546yd par 5 before so i've been absolutely giddy too. this is a game with which i'm not familiar (well unless it's in a scramble and we've got one of our ringers with us).

lol, actually no. my scores are still a few strokes over par and the reason is quite simple. i've had so many 80-100yd choked down gap wedge approach shots that i never practice, so i'm no closer to the pin than i was before because of distance control. another reason is that our greens are getting over seeded so they're not in the best of shape either...i'm leaving at least a stroke, sometimes two, on the greens because of it.

WOW, well at 105 you would be no where near the numbers you are hitting the ball even with perfect numbers so you must have increased your swing speed a lot

exactly...something has changed and i'm really just trying to understand what it was.

I'd be interested to find out what your LM numbers are. I started going to the gym and doing strength training back in the early nineties, not for golf, but just for general strength training. I used to do a lot of wrist curls and other forearm strength exercises because I had trouble holding on to the weight during dead lifts. I only played golf infrequently back then, and never practiced much at all. After a few months of the forearm training, I noticed that "all of a sudden" I had a lot more control over my swing. I don't know if I picked up any real distance gains, but I went from spraying the ball all over the course to being able to hit the ball in the general direction I was trying to. My dad noticed the difference and reminded me that he had tried to tell me that he got a lot better when he started doing grip strength exercises, I just didn't listen.

Definitely check out a launch monitor because I would love to see your numbers. Your swing speed on the driver and mine are very similar and the rest of your yardages are very similar. Yet you are outdriving me by about 60 yards (even if we are talking only carry) and I think my launch numbers are near optimal for my swing right now.

I would love to find a way of grabbing a few extra yards and doing it through a workout. Looking forward to your info.

Definitely check out a launch monitor because I would love to see your numbers. Your swing speed on the driver and mine are very similar and the rest of your yardages are very similar. Yet you are outdriving me by about 60 yards (even if we are talking only carry) and I think my launch numbers are near optimal for my swing right now.

I would love to find a way of grabbing a few extra yards and doing it through a workout. Looking forward to your info.

it has been a little while so now you have me curious if my driver swing speed has changed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back