GPS vs Range Finder

Assuming you have a decent smartphone, it seems like there are enough viable GPS apps out there to compliment a good rangefinder. Even at $30 for the "best" smartphone GPS app, it make sense to me.

^^This, I'm using skydroid along with an RF, works great. I use the GPS for blind shots or unknown courses, and switch to the RF closer to the flag.

got my first taste of ny new skycaddie, doesnt have all of the features for my course, but has enough...and shot my low round so its a keeper!

Rangefinder or GPS??

Rangefinder or GPS??

Hi Guys,

I have my birthday coming round this coming week and I am struggling to decide whether I should get a GPS or a Rangefinder! I was wondering if you lots could help me, tell me some of the good this and the bad of both type of devices? Also could you recommend a device?

Charlie

I have both and actually prefer the GPS. I hate ranging everything, though ranging is probably most accurate. I've had a couple different Sky Caddies and like them just fine. You can avoid annual subscriptions by going with another brand. (The Garmin seems to get good reviews)...Currently using the Sky Caddie SG5 and it does everything I want it to do.

i had been pondering a gps or rangefinder for a while and after a few rounds with a friend's rangefinder I went with a gps. I got a Garmin Approach G6 and couldn't be happier, I'm not accurate enough to benefit as much from a rangefinder and I love the stat tracking of the G6. I also found the g6 to be very accurate after checking some landmarks and yardage markers I had previously checked with the laser.

I decided to make the plunge and get a Bushnell 1600 Laser Range finder, been really useful knowing the exact distance to the pin. Examples are 3rd Hole at my course is 198 yards, but with the Bushnell I could tell that the pin was actually at 206 yards. Also a few times i'd be level with the 150 marker but the actual distance might be 145 with the pin being at the front.

got my first taste of ny new skycaddie, doesnt have all of the features for my course, but has enough...and shot my low round so its a keeper!

I kind of regretted not going with the SGX instead of the G6, but as of my last 3 rounds I'm happy with the G6. I honestly believe it has had a significant role in improving my scores, my best 3rounds have been the ones I've played since getting it. (79, 80, and yesterday's 73)

I got a bushnell XGC+ as a warranty replacement direct from Bushnell for an old yardage pro. And the GPS is awesome, it beats having to unlock my iphone on every shot. And it's super easy to read and see.

I just got an email from Bushnell saying they approved my $100 rebate for my XGC+. I only paid $99.99 for it, so I am almost getting it free. I had to pay the $7.00 sales tax, so I am out $6.99.

I am already having some potential warranty issues, though, so I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.

I just got an email from Bushnell saying they approved my $100 rebate for my XGC+. I only paid $99.99 for it, so I am almost getting it free. I had to pay the $7.00 sales tax, so I am out $6.99.

I am already having some potential warranty issues, though, so I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.
Where did you buy it for $99.99?

I have a Callaway (Nikon) LR550. Most people I play with pull out their GPS units then ask me what the exact distance to the pin is!

I have a Callaway (Nikon) LR550. Most people I play with pull out their GPS units then ask me what the exact distance to the pin is!

I'm not precise enough to need exact distance!

I do use the laser on par 3's though!

I'm not precise enough to need exact distance!

I do use the laser on par 3's though!

I had the luxory of our golf cart's having the gps on them.. I can definitely say it helped my game and now i'm in the rangefiner/gps buying mode. I think gps would be better as a few yards won't effect my shot and it seems quicker than pulling out a rangefiner

I looked a few posts back and he bought the display model. Good deal.

Yep, sorry if I was too cryptic, there. Got a display model at PGA SS for $99.99. Having a small issue in that the battery charge indicator ALWAYS says 80%. Never more, never less. It hasn't been an issue for me, but I would kinda like to know how much juice it has left.

I had the luxory of our golf cart's having the gps on them.. I can definitely say it helped my game and now i'm in the rangefiner/gps buying mode. I think gps would be better as a few yards won't effect my shot and it seems quicker than pulling out a rangefiner

I had several issues against GPS devices previously, but now that I am using a GPS and Rangefinder side-by-side I'm starting to come around. I never trusted GPS to be accurate enough, and I also don't like having to download courses. So far I still prefer being able to use my rangefinder to get exact yardage to the pin and not having to worry about the vagaries of GPS, but I have been looking at the GPS to estimate the flag distance before using the rangefinder, and I'm finding it fairly reliable.

GPS vs RangeFinder

GPS vs RangeFinder

I'm looking for input, prior to making a purchase of a rangefinder or GPS.

Do you use a GPS or Rangefinder when you play? If so which to you use and why? Thanks in advance for the info.

I'm looking for input, prior to making a purchase of a rangefinder or GPS.

Do you use a GPS or Rangefinder when you play? If so which to you use and why? Thanks in advance for the info.

Had a rangefinder for around four years but switched to a GPS a year ago and never looked back. GPS gives me everything without having to try a look through a rangefinder at a target 2/300 yards away. GPS all the way for me.

I use a GPS primarily. I have a neo that just gives me distance to FMB and it has a shot distance finder. I also have a Laser Link rangefinder that's good inside 100 but really is a pain outside that. It's got no magnification which makes it hard to aim at a pin. It's great for hitting trees, bunkers, etc though.

I use both almost every round depending on where I am playing and how well I am playing. I have a NEO gps which is the same unit that Bushnell is putting in its hybrid, I also have a V2.

Never even really considered using a rangefinder as they are so expensive compared to using my phone's GPS. However after recently seeing a commercial for a rangefinder stating on how to use the range finder for practice to know exactly how far you hit your irons, made perfect sense.

That alone would be useful info. I mean I know what club I have to hit for what distance, but I think if nothing else it could be a great practice tool? Still gonna have a hard time dropping $300 on one. Thats almost half of a new set of irons!!

I'm currently using Golf Shot and love it. Can't beat a one time $29.95 charge for all it offers. Statistics, handicap, club average, aerial view, course management, and so on.

Using GPS. Looking forward to using all of its feature at the Outing

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Back