I just took a gander at the hot list, and agree completely.

I do not think this observation would take away from the intent. As you said, the more airplay a club receives, the "hotter" its status on the hot list.

Best way to get airplay IMHO is social media. If you have a trending hash tag on twitter, you will get more media coverage.

More media coverage, and you will get more |: exposure --> sales --> media --> :| (coda not smiley-face).

My $0.02.

Best way to get on the hot list is to pay for it. All it is is marketing. Anything is for sale these days and everyone has a price.

Best way to get on the hot list is to pay for it. All it is is marketing. Anything is for sale these days and everyone has a price.

While I wont get into the results, because everybody has an opinion on that, how do you know one can "pay" for a spot on the hot list? I have spoken to a lot of people there, including Mike Johnson and I do not believe that to be the case at all.

I love W/S but I think they are what they are. I don't see them ever making the leap to the next level. Sometimes you should be happy where you are.

I love W/S but I think they are what they are. I don't see them ever making the leap to the next level. Sometimes you should be happy where you are.

That's what I've been thinking this whole time. If they can survive and make a little money, what's the point in worrying about the rest? Of course, making and not losing money is the big question mark.

Yeah I think they are just tied to the Wilson Walmart brand. What they can try to do is develop relationships at the Junior level. Like Ping and Titleist seem to do very well. Never know if the next Rors can grow up with some W/S equipment

Yeah I think they are just tied to the Wilson Walmart brand. What they can try to do is develop relationships at the Junior level. Like Ping and Titleist seem to do very well. Never know if the next Rors can grow up with some W/S equipment

To some extent, I think that's helped a brand like Cleveland with their image quite a bit in the last two years. They've got a group of young guys that are all big hitters and came up through the lower ranks.

It's a pretty cheap way to build a solid stable of players. The only problem is keeping them when/if they succeed.

To some extent, I think that's helped a brand like Cleveland with their image quite a bit in the last two years. They've got a group of young guys that are all big hitters and came up through the lower ranks.

It's a pretty cheap way to build a solid stable of players. The only problem is keeping them when/if they succeed.

Keeping them might be a non issue. I would just market the heck out of the fact that the player got to where he is by playing W/S. Heck I will always think of Rory as a Titleist guy

That's a good point.

Among most of the nonsense I post, sometimes there is a nugget of wisdom lol

I sent a message to Paddy last night via his website & asked him to play the new D-100 driver on the Tour next year. It would give WS a lot more credability if their tour players actually used their driver.
Probably won't get a response, but it was worth a shot.

I cant comment on feature stories, because I honestly do not know, but do know it is not "pay for play". There is no "fee for featured story" deal with them. Im sure to get a featured story on the equipment outside of hot gear, it has to be a story they are willing to tell and think the readers would want to hear about.

While you may never hear that companies pay to get reviewed or added to the hot lists, you may find that companies that pay for more ads are often reviewed more. Coincidence or an unspoken trade off?

We'll obviously never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that editors are often encouraged to review products from the larger advertisers.

1. Do not sell your Driver for the same price as the top competition. SELL IT FOR LESS.
2. Sell your Driver head with any shaft that the customer wants from your custom shop.
3. Do a real comparison between the wilson driver and Taylor Made, Calloway, and Ping using the Iron Byron.
4. Show the distance and dispersion yardage all four drivers get at the four swing speeds 85 MPH, 95 MPH, 105 MPH and 115 MPH swing speeds.
5. Take the shafts out of the competition and put them in the Wilson Driver and show the results at the 85 & 115 swing speeds. Showing your stock shaft is just as good as the competition.

Why would I buy a $300 Ping G 25 driver and only get 2 more yards at my swing speed than a $250 Wilson with a stock shaft.
And If I want a $300 custom shaft that fits me Wilson Custom will install it and ship it in a week for a fair price.

Do the same thing with irons and hybrids and fairway woods.

This would cost less than one big name golfer playing Wilson Staff.

neo,
Im not sure the "sell it for less" works. The best selling drivers are the higher priced drivers. Perfect example is R11 vs RBZ line. Unfortunately in the game of golf, price = quality for the general consumer. I think if they start charging less, and are not seen on tour anywhere, the general consumer believes it as an inferior product.

neo,
Im not sure the "sell it for less" works. The best selling drivers are the higher priced drivers. Perfect example is R11 vs RBZ line. Unfortunately in the game of golf, price = quality for the general consumer. I think if they start charging less, and are not seen on tour anywhere, the general consumer believes it as an inferior product.

Is that simply a price = quality aspect or the fact that R11 is pushed harder than RBZ? I could be way off but it seems TMAG puts way more effort into pushing R11. What about the irons where, at least to me, RBZ were pushed harder than R11? Did RBZs sell better?

Is that simply a price = quality aspect or the fact that R11 is pushed harder than RBZ? I could be way off but it seems TMAG puts way more effort into pushing R11. What about the irons where, at least to me, RBZ were pushed harder than R11? Did RBZs sell better?

It is definitely a price = quality aspect in my opinion and it is seen across the board in golf. Look at golf balls. Why are Chrome and TP3 looked at as inferior products? They are both 3 piece urethane covered golf balls just as many others, yet countless times here and elsewhere, they are viewed as "non-premium" because they cost less.

FWIW, i believe the advertising was very similar in terms of spend on RBZ and R11 lines.

Its an interesting look to understand the price = quality side of things. And it is merely my opinion after looking at consumer spending for a couple of years now. But I see "discounted" clubs looked at the same way unfortunately.

Interesting topic and I loved reading this thread. I agree with JB that lower price is equated to lower quality by the average consumer, and golfers are willing to spend oodles of money on "hope" that they will now hit the ball further and straighter. I read on here before that a small percentage of players worldwide actually ever break 80, so I think that Wilson could have success by making and selling super forgiving clubs that actually work. There is a huge market out there for high cappers looking to improve. Wilson just has to convince them that their clubs are the most forgiving of them all and this would kind of blend with the current impression of Wilson now.
I guess at the end of the day all the marketing and wisdom in the world will do little good if your product is sub-par. There are many ways to get them into players hands, but once there the club simply has to perform. Having a big shiny staff bag on Sunday on NBC wouldnt hurt either.

I have skimmed this so I am sorry if I go over something else, but I have dealt with brands like Wilson just in other sectors.
Here is a few ideas that they could try;
1. Don't allow it to be sold online- ok bare with me on this one. Firstly the Internet is just another place for discounting to occur, which can make a brand seem cheapened. Wilson staff make some great products, also by only allowing it to be sold in store, it makes the brand seem more exclusive. Also you would help the retailer massively by driving customers to his store! He won't care what brand he sells if he can get more customers through the door!
This could open up a few new areas around the golf stores for them.
2. Get Padrig back playing his best! Find one more star for them to sponsor! I hardly see anything on tour from these guys now, and it is a massive market they need to get involved in! Anyone right now that is in the top 50 in the world, just grab them and get them staffed up!
3. Leave Wilson doing the cheaper and maybe the game improvement range, use Wilson staff to build the better mid to low handicap range! Maybe the irons should go back to the more traditional styles like mizuno with less fancy inserts etc.

Honestly? After thinking about this one I think they should wreck shop, and start from scratch with a new name and new concept. It just isn't working.

TTing

Honestly? After thinking about this one I think they should wreck shop, and start from scratch with a new name and new concept. It just isn't working.

TTing

You think that's a smart play in this market right now?

I lean more towards just accepting that they are going to be a fringe company and going with that. Assuming they can make or not lose money doing it I guess. I don't see a new name or the old name competing with the big boys any time soon.

I lean more towards just accepting that they are going to be a fringe company and going with that. Assuming they can make or not lose money doing it I guess. I don't see a new name or the old name competing with the big boys any time soon.
There are plenty of companies that have accepted the fact that they will be a fringe type company, and are successful doing so.

There are plenty of companies that have accepted the fact that they will be a fringe type company, and are successful doing so.

That's what I think too. W/S is lucky enough that they have a huge company behind them as well. I think that's a good thing at least. Maybe that would lead to more pressure to perform though. I really have no clue.

You think that's a smart play in this market right now?

Is there ever a good time to make that play? Their company is stale. Stale companies fade. Look where all of the others went. MacGregor, whoever else.

Its better to be proactive in reinventing yourself than reactive. Tmade did it with white, Callaway did it with razr, and is doing it again now. Wilson Staff just isnt doing anything.

That's what I think too. W/S is lucky enough that they have a huge company behind them as well. I think that's a good thing at least. Maybe that would lead to more pressure to perform though. I really have no clue.

I agree, as much as I'd love them to be up there with the top brands. I think they're destined to be a fringe company. I really feel Walmart has irreparable damage to the once prestigious Wilson Staff brand.

The funny thing is that w/s has never been sold at wally-world(except obviously balls-but so is everybody elses). I say keep doing what they are doing,they are in a better place now than they were 5 years ago. Who knows 5 yeas from now they may be right there with the big boys. More and more new golfers are learning that their stuff is just as good and sometimes better than the comp and,W/s is a little bit more popular every year. They will NEVER tear down and start from scratch and change their name,that would be company suicide. They would be getting rid of one of their bigger selling points,their history in the game. When a golfer sees the w/s shield he/she immediately knows that its w/s,other companies would kill for a emblem that well recognized,plus it looks badarse. They need to work on getting equipment in more and more stores,get faster at customer service and start some kinda memorable advertising and I think thats all they need.

Back