Xbox One and PS4 Systems

I will eventually get the PS4 most likely, but I'll wait for the initial craze to pass first. Plus it doesn't look like there is a launch title I can't live without, so I'll wait to make sure that the PS4 is the better machine for me.

To the systems, I believe Playstation has made it pretty clear that their priority in this release is gaming, and that is something I am willing to get behind.

I switched from Sony to MS for Xbox360 because of the online gaming functionality. It was awesome, but Playstation has (supposedly) bridged that gap. With multi person party chat, an improved design, and a faster, more effective online experience, I'll be keeping an eye on the month after release to see if they meet all expectations.

I am definitely leery about buying immediately as I've heard it takes a release or two in order to clear out the bugs, so I'll be waiting for the second or third release when they are actively in stores. It sucks to wait, but I think it's a solid plan to make sure they are executing on claims.

That Microsoft went 'entertainment' really doesn't sit well with me. Makes me think the priority on improving the gaming experience was put on the back burner, and I'll never, ever care about motion based gaming. We've got a wii if I feel like waving my hands around or jumping.

Plus, it's 100 bucks less for an arguably better gaming system. No brainer?

I will eventually get the PS4 most likely, but I'll wait for the initial craze to pass first. Plus it doesn't look like there is a launch title I can't live without, so I'll wait to make sure that the PS4 is the better machine for me.

The big deal for me was NHL, Call of Duty, and I suppose Battlefield (at least I hope to get more into this one). None of them are improving on the next gen releases I don't think, so shouldn't make any real need for an upgrade quickly.

The big deal for me was NHL, Call of Duty, and I suppose Battlefield (at least I hope to get more into this one). None of them are improving on the next gen releases I don't think, so shouldn't make any real need for an upgrade quickly.

Yeah, the first releases being available on both PS3 and PS4 will help me bide my time. I think even the next Gran Turismo is on both, and while the PS4 certainly has better hardware, it's not like we're talking SD vs HD resolutions.

If I can pry my wife off the AC4 game long enough maybe I can get her in here to discuss the this...lol. It may be a while I'm afraid though.

To those saying that one is gaming and one is a media device, I am confused why someone would want to sacrifice the media side since that is the way of the future. Based on the specs, it does not appear as though they are lacking in any sort of graphics or gaming side and certainly the game companies are not going to have one side be that much stronger than the other (in my opinion as a non-avid).

Im surprised marketing it as a more complete product would make people assume that gaming (which is one of its primary purposes) would take a backseat. It reminds me of when Sony added a DVD player and then a BD player and Microsoft fans argued that they didnt want a media device.

The future is a central media outlet for everything and it will be here soon. Do you guys really believe that gaming will take a backseat on this device? Graphics card? Processor? What makes it take a backseat?

To those saying that one is gaming and one is a media device, I am confused why someone would want to sacrifice the media side since that is the way of the future. Based on the specs, it does not appear as though they are lacking in any sort of graphics or gaming side and certainly the game companies are not going to have one side be that much stronger than the other (in my opinion as a non-avid).

Im surprised marketing it as a more complete product would make people assume that gaming (which is one of its primary purposes) would take a backseat. It reminds me of when Sony added a DVD player and then a BD player and Microsoft fans argued that they didnt want a media device.

The future is a central media outlet for everything and it will be here soon. Do you guys really believe that gaming will take a backseat on this device? Graphics card? Processor? What makes it take a backseat?

When I meant backseat I meant more on the development side. Concentrations on certain things would seemingly reduce the time on others (I only assume). There are different designs for each console, however spec to spec it seems that not only does the PS4 seem to have an advantage, actual results for gameplay suggest a full 1080p with 60 FPS, whereas the XBOne has been shown running at less impressive numbers overall. Direct comparisons show sharper, more jagged edges on XBOne. Obviously minor in detail, but why not go with the system that functions the best gaming wise?

Also, one big advertisement on the new Xbox is being able to watch tv through it. For the simple ability to hit 'input' on a controller, I can't help but shrug at that capability. Add in being forced to buy the motion based Kinect (which I'll never use), and it just seems like it's a lot of fluff for someone who has no interest in that type of integration.

I guess I don't see either as next generation consoles. So what's the point in buying either? I'm sure Sony and MS will continue to produce titles for the 360 and PS3 for a while. Both consoles have underwhelming hardware, but that kept the sticker price down. Does next generation consoles now mean becoming more than gaming and more social and media oriented? I don't know.

When I meant backseat I meant more on the development side. Concentrations on certain things would seemingly reduce the time on others (I only assume). There are different designs for each console, however spec to spec it seems that not only does the PS4 seem to have an advantage, actual results for gameplay suggest a full 1080p with 60 FPS, whereas the XBOne has been shown running at less impressive numbers overall. Direct comparisons show sharper, more jagged edges on XBOne. Obviously minor in detail, but why not go with the system that functions the best gaming wise?

Also, one big advertisement on the new Xbox is being able to watch tv through it. For the simple ability to hit 'input' on a controller, I can't help but shrug at that capability. Add in being forced to buy the motion based Kinect (which I'll never use), and it just seems like it's a lot of fluff for someone who has no interest in that type of integration.

heres a great video explaining it its very interesting about how he thinks Microsoft is making the same mistake that sony made with the PS3 where they are expecting the developers to do more work to get the most out of their system. but right now it looks like Sony is gonna make it easier for developers which in the end i think will get more PS4 only titles down the road.

[video=youtube;HcY-VaBYu30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcY-VaBYu30[/video]

As for the Media stuff i just don't see a need for it. is it kinda cool sure it is. will it work all the time when i tell it to do something? probably not half the guys on THP can't understand my accent i don't expect a video game console to.

I wouldn't call the Kinect fluff. My kids love the Let's Dance series and that is apparently much better with Kinect as are some active Sports games, including driving sims.

For us that's what we use game consoles for and Kinect on the 360 is really a better, more fun experience. Call of a Duty I can play on the PC, so unless PS4 has a Kinect equivalent, it's the loser in next gen games which will use the feature to better advantage. Imagine a golf game that gives you a plastic club and let's you swing away. A first person shooter that you aim a fake gun, reload by pulling the bolt, etc... That will be the not too distant future.

Sony must have something in pipeline but I haven't heard anything about it.

So I think a lot depends on what games you play. The media extras are a positive or neutral. Certainly not a negative.

I wouldn't call the Kinect fluff. My kids love the Let's Dance series and that is apparently much better with Kinect as are some active Sports games, including driving sims.

For us that's what we use game consoles for and Kinect on the 360 is really a better, more fun experience. Call of a Duty I can play on the PC, so unless PS4 has a Kinect equivalent, it's the loser in next gen games which will use the feature to better advantage. Imagine a golf game that gives you a plastic club and let's you swing away. A first person shooter that you aim a fake gun, reload by pulling the bolt, etc... That will be the not too distant future.

So I think a lot depends on what games you play. The media extras are a positive or neutral. Certainly not a negative.

For those who have zero interest in non-controller based gaming, what would you call it? 100 bucks for what? How it's not optional is beyond me.

sony does have the move controllers and a playstation eye... i honestly dunno exactly what the kinect is capable of but i know the move controllers are imo better than the wii and i had a lot of fun playing games with them in the past... i played bocci ball like a champ. and the new playstation eye also will have voice controlls and facial recognition to log you on and off.

For those who have zero interest in non-controller based gaming, what would you call it? 100 bucks for what? How it's not optional is beyond me.

i think they are forcing people to get it because they need it to change the tv channel or swipe your hand to watch a movie.
i just see it not working as good as they showed in the press conference. i got a feeling it won't understand or get all my motions all the time like siri or trying to make a call through my car blue tooth.

heres a great video explaining it its very interesting about how he thinks Microsoft is making the same mistake that sony made with the PS3 where they are expecting the developers to do more work to get the most out of their system. but right now it looks like Sony is gonna make it easier for developers which in the end i think will get more PS4 only titles down the road.

As for the Media stuff i just don't see a need for it. is it kinda cool sure it is. will it work all the time when i tell it to do something? probably not half the guys on THP can't understand my accent i don't expect a video game console to.

That is interesting, but isnt it purely speculation?

That is interesting, but isnt it purely speculation?

the fact that its running at 720 on Xbox instead of 1080 on PS4 isn't speculation..... but a lot of the other stuff he said sure is but i know playstation did the same thing with the PS3 and although they had a more powerful system on paper the developers thought it was a pain in the butt so i feel like that held the system back from their full potential.. the developers seem to have a lot of power when it comes to that and i guess its like any business if its easier and cheaper to do it they will or go to a console thats easier to work with.... i think these consoles will be very close visual wise over the next few years but i think more titles will come to Sony because it will be easier to make the games on it....... but honestly 90% of people that gets one at launch is more or less a fanboy of one console or hardcore gamer i've had the last 2 at launch and i really didn't run into any problems with the PS3 that some people did and mine finally just bit the dust.... so i've been without games for about 2 months now. i'm really looking forward to it... and theres always a possibility i get xbox down the road as well.

And I'm making a the switch from 360 to Sony.

I want a gaming system, not an entertainment system (even though ps4 also does Netflix, etc)

This isn't exactly true. Netflix has said they more than likely won't make an app for the ps4. Unless that changed in the last couple days

The Xbox one is by far the better system. I was totally pro ps4 until I talked to an unbiased manager at GameStop that got to go to a conference that had both there.

They taught them all about both of them and gave all the details. He shared details with me and let me make a choice. He didn't tell me which he was going to get.

The Xbox has more available computing power than the ps4 even the ps4 is using ddr5 and the One is using ddr3.

Netflix will work on the Xbox One though.

Ps4 will have a yearly membership fee as well.

#ImWithChad

I have 1 kid wanting the xbox1, and another wanting the ps4. I will be waiting to see if 1 has a clear lead over the other. The number 1 thing with my kids is online gaming, so whichever has more of their friends online will get my money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the fact that its running at 720 on Xbox instead of 1080 on PS4 isn't speculation..... but a lot of the other stuff he said sure is but i know playstation did the same thing with the PS3 and although they had a more powerful system on paper the developers thought it was a pain in the butt so i feel like that held the system back from their full potential.. the developers seem to have a lot of power when it comes to that and i guess its like any business if its easier and cheaper to do it they will or go to a console thats easier to work with.... i think these consoles will be very close visual wise over the next few years but i think more titles will come to Sony because it will be easier to make the games on it....... but honestly 90% of people that gets one at launch is more or less a fanboy of one console or hardcore gamer i've had the last 2 at launch and i really didn't run into any problems with the PS3 that some people did and mine finally just bit the dust.... so i've been without games for about 2 months now. i'm really looking forward to it... and theres always a possibility i get xbox down the road as well.

Interesting. I did read that some Call of Duty game is 720 on Xbox, but the device certainly has 1080p capability.
Also interesting about the fanboy thing. I honestly had no idea there were even fanboys about these devices.
I was just watching this thing with Mark Cuban (obviously knows tech) and he was discussing the idea of device hubs and one media device to handle everything and he said the future is now and over the next 24 months. "You are going to see some amazing things coming in terms of media devices and delivery of content". He was not speaking about a specific device and certainly not about either of these systems.

I enjoyed that video a lot... Measures up with a lot of the concerns I have, and makes me wonder if they can only run Ghosts on 720p on a brand new system, is it already maxed?

His final thoughts about being on the market for a gaming machine, and how the XBOne doesn't appear to be that powerful (on the surface).

I really like the idea of the media centered device. I can see why some people don't. I dont agree with forcing people to get kinect, but I do think it is cool that you will be able to check fantasy stats, switch over to TV, do some of the online media stuff. I like the idea of the entertainment package, and I dont think MS will sacrifice gaming quality, but I also don't know if I will fork over an extra $100 for it either.

One thing I think everyone can agree on, both companies are going to sell a ton of their systems

This isn't exactly true. Netflix has said they more than likely won't make an app for the ps4. Unless that changed in the last couple days

The Xbox one is by far the better system. I was totally pro ps4 until I talked to an unbiased manager at GameStop that got to go to a conference that had both there.

They taught them all about both of them and gave all the details. He shared details with me and let me make a choice. He didn't tell me which he was going to get.

The Xbox has more available computing power than the ps4 even the ps4 is using ddr5 and the One is using ddr3.

Membership fees were bound to happen.... And to the netflix thing, ehhh.. .It's a gaming console to this consumer, not a netflix console.

Also, if the bolded is true, how is it that resolution is better on the PS4 out of the gate? Is there any actual depth to this argument on your GameStop manager's end? WHY is it a better system? Everything I've seen proves the opposite.

#ImWithChad

This seems to support what I have been learning. I think there are some "reviews" that show that the Xbox has inferior resolution and this special on TV said that really is only at launch titles and due to developers not being given previews months early in fear of leaks, whereas Sony did.

It appears one has a higher cost, but with that cost, you get all of the perks of gaming plus a whole lot more including a proven online experience rather than one that is supposed to be better.

No dog in the fight here, as I just learned 5 minutes ago there were "fans" of systems.

This seems to support what I have been learning. I think there are some "reviews" that show that the Xbox has inferior resolution and this special on TV said that really is only at launch titles and due to developers not being given previews months early in fear of leaks, whereas Sony did.

It appears one has a higher cost, but with that cost, you get all of the perks of gaming plus a whole lot more including a proven online experience rather than one that is supposed to be better.

No dog in the fight here, as I just learned 5 minutes ago there were "fans" of systems.

There are absolutely fanboys. I am not really a fanboy, I have always owned Xbox systems, but mostly because PS3's online experience was horrible in my opinion and the controller wasn't much better. I am very interested to see if these two are improved, and if so, I may be leaning PS4

As someone who does not have a pre-order in and will definitely be waiting for user based feedback before making a decision, I for one would LOVE to read some pro XBOne reviews and videos... Share em if you've got em!!!!

Preferably regarding the gaming. I get the value in Entertainment systems, I just won't ever make my decision based on that. Purely interested in the gaming.

There are absolutely fanboys. I am not really a fanboy, I have always owned Xbox systems, but mostly because PS3's online experience was horrible in my opinion and the controller wasn't much better. I am very interested to see if these two are improved, and if so, I may be leaning PS4

I guess like any product. I can honestly say I had no idea that there would be fanboys of a gaming system since most games appear to be on both. You learn something every day.

Back