What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

Biggest tip lately was from watching a video Freddie made for Smalls. One of the tips he gave was to make sure his shoulders were lined up with his feet and aiming down the target line. Checked mine, and sure enough I had been lining up with my shoulders open. Made the change and shot back to back personal bests.

My instructor used to fuss at me all the time about leaving my shoulder open. Having a good square set up and good alignment to the hole is a game changer for sure!

Placement of the ball at address on pitch shots. Getting the ball in the middle of the stance to produce a straight shot. I had been placing the ball too far forward and pulling the ball.

After my lesson at golftec I learned how badly I was coming over the top. Ouch! :beat-up:

Biggest tip lately was from watching a video Freddie made for Smalls. One of the tips he gave was to make sure his shoulders were lined up with his feet and aiming down the target line. Checked mine, and sure enough I had been lining up with my shoulders open. Made the change and shot back to back personal bests.
I try to watch that video at least once a week. It helps even more when I watch it before I play.

I have been so inconsistent with my irons this year. Last two times out, I've focused on keeping my upper arms more connected to my torso (just the feeling, I'm sure they're not rigidly locked in place). It just felt like I might have been reaching for more distance before. My shots are going much straighter and the distances seem more consistent. I've actually hit a few GIR!

Oh, almost forgot the number one thing I'm working on: Keeping a steady head. Wish there was a way someone could hold something against my head as I swing during a round!

I suddenly started struggling with my irons lately and couldn't figure out why. I went out in the yard and finally worked it out today although I lost a lot of balls into a field across the street. :)

It's a drill my coach taught me a couple years ago to stop me from releasing my hips so soon and it works better than anything when I'm struggling. It's so simple but it's the most effective thing ever for me.

Simple: Concentrate on swinging to the ball and not turning until I hit it. Swing, then turn. Boom! Nice high baby draws were back. Why is this game so hard?

When I start to get excited and get a little quick in my transition I take my eyes off the ball and move my head for a split second...what follows is complete unpredictable anarchy.
A passer-by just said something on the range, "Your head moves a mile when you over-swing." Boom. Focused on keeping centered and the long and straights were back!

Sometimes it's just that simple.

Clubhead speed comes from your hands and keep your body moving through the swing, don't stop to hit the ball.

I've always been a decent putter, averaging around 29 putts a round but getting to the 24-25 level was always tough unless I was missing greens like crazy. Came upon this article talking about starting your round by making a bunch of 1 and 2 footers before you start taking 5, 10, 25 footers. In my head it made a lot of sense. I'll admit it's helped me tremendously and I've been MUCH more confident and successful with the 3-10 footers as of late. Give it a read!!

http://pluggedingolf.com/putting-start-with-makes/

Not a tip so much as a revelation. I started taking more practice swings with no glove on, and was surprised at how little grip pressure I needed to keep ahold of the club. So I started translating that to full swings at the range today, and was amazed as my push slice turned into an on-target line pull power fade or dead straight. Plus, there's so much less tension in my body throughout the swing, and a lot of my fat iron shots have gone away. That whole, "Hold it like a bird" thing always kinda made sense to me, but feeling how much easier the club releases was amazing.

I don't know if I've added this in here yet, but "soft trail arm" has completely changed my ball flight. After I take my stance, I just take my trail arm (my right arm) and relax the elbow, which allows it to droop a little. It really gets rid of the OTT move that I've struggled with for years.

Been working on the SDP swing and stumbled on to Jack's old "Golf My Way" videos on YouTube. His advice on the takeaway and getting the club inside and then "up the wall" was great on the range today.

For the last few years, my driver & fairway wood swings were the best part of a weak game. For the past month or so, I can't hit them to save my life. left, right, everywhere but straight.

For some reason last week, I had this picture in my mind of the TourAngle 144 :

a20791c13a74c9558769b6_m.png

I imagined my hands keeping this angle going back & coming through - not really rigidly locked up, but just the feel of "keep the angle".
This week: 6 of 7 fairways hit (the 7th was 5 yards right)! And plenty long (for me).

Not only that, but I hit some of the purest fairway woods and irons ever! I have no idea why this works for me, but I am amazed! And I didn't have to buy the equipment!

i learnt how crucial ball position is to you swing and ball striking

Initial direction is caused by face angle at impact and subsequent flight (draw/fade) is caused by swing path. This little tidbit of knowledge helps me self correct on the course.

I've seen some positive things in my putting in the last week simply by shortening up my back swing and making a more positive forward stroke. I have always more or less followed through the same distance I take the putter back. I have never been even an average putter. Now that I am taking the putter back about 2/3 the distance I follow through, the improvement in my starting line is remarkable. I just need to be careful to not get too quick.

Last edited:
My new tip is get some time on the par 3 courses. As much as I wanna hammer my driver all the time its the par 3 holes that I trend to blue up and I'm sure most golfers are probably in the same boat. Its the approach shots that set up birdies and eliminate some bogey chances.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

My new tip is get some time on the par 3 courses. As much as I wanna hammer my driver all the time its the par 3 holes that I trend to blue up and I'm sure most golfers are probably in the same boat. Its the approach shots that set up birdies and eliminate some bogey chances.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

umm. This is not a new tip....there has been many debates on the importance of honing the short game....but good luck with it

Mine today was to address the ball off the toe of the driver and it will be flush with the sweetspot when you swing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Initial direction is caused by face angle at impact and subsequent flight (draw/fade) is caused by swing path. This little tidbit of knowledge helps me self correct on the course.

I'm amazed at how few people actually know about this.

Keep your elbows flexed and tucked in when putting, not my old way of stiff arming the putter.

Shorten my backswing to about 3/4 of what it was. Now it's actually a normal length, ball striking and accuracy has improved a good amount.

Today somebody was watching me on the range (after a God awful ball striking round) and noticed that were my feet were closed a ton. I played a few holes after that and they went decently well.

I started slicing my drive again. I slowed my back swing right down and my slice is 85% gone.

Back