Votes: 26 61.9%
  • Inside-in

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No idea

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

robmypro

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been putting more faith in the data I get from my SwingByte, especially after it was screaming at me that I had a hook. It also says I have a < 15 degree Inside-out swing. I did a search and found that this is actually preferable. How many of you have this type of swing?

What type of swing do you have?

Out to in, but I think that will be gone in a few rounds. New setup and a good lesson has me optimistic.

Depends on the needed shot.........

I did not till real recently and am glad that I'm now coming at the ball properly and am seeing much better results.

I'm no expert but agree that an inside to out swing path is a good thing (something I'm striving to achieve at least) but I would say for a straighter shot and better contact the degree to which your swinging to the right (right handed golfer) should not be that extreme. Again I'm Ko expert but when I'm on a track man I strive for 3-8 degree to the right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I used to be very outside-in, but my lessons have changed that and now I am slightly inside out. It has done wonders for the way I strike the ball and particularly my distance consistency.

I have a pretty severe inside to out swing according to trackman but it works for me and I usually play a small draw. I really don't think it matters what type of swing but how well you manage the club through impact.

I hover around straight with my swing path, but it's more in my swing to go out to in.

I'm no expert but agree that an inside to out swing path is a good thing (something I'm striving to achieve at least) but I would say for a straighter shot and better contact the degree to which your swinging to the right (right handed golfer) should not be that extreme. Again I'm Ko expert but when I'm on a track man I strive for 3-8 degree to the right.

Thanks for the feedback. I am shooting for 5 degrees or less, and agree that you can definitely overdo it!

Thanks for the feedback. I am shooting for 5 degrees or less, and agree that you can definitely overdo it!

I was working with an instructor a couple weeks ago and started out with a few swings going like 11* left. With some help I was able to work it back to the right a bit. Keep up the good work! If I can go from way left to a little right then I'm sure you can tame the right!

Inside out for years now..

My first time on Trackman I was 14* left a few times which is terrible. Anything plus or minus 5 is fine. The closer you get to 10 the less fun golf becomes. Inside to out typically means right to left ball flight and outside in means left to right.

My first time on Trackman I was 14* left a few times which is terrible. Anything plus or minus 5 is fine. The closer you get to 10 the less fun golf becomes. Inside to out typically means right to left ball flight and outside in means left to right.

It can be depending on how you manipulate the face of the club. I have had swings where I am close to 10° to the right and still have a slight fade on the ball. Just because you have a large path one way or the other doesn't mean you will have a large hook or slice. It's all about face angle at impact.

But that's probably for another thread. As a general rule though you are right, a large degree one way or the other can produce some very undesirable ball flights.

It can be depending on how you manipulate the face of the club. I have had swings where I am close to 10° to the right and still have a slight fade on the ball. Just because you have a large path one way or the other doesn't mean you will have a large hook or slice. It's all about face angle at impact.

But that's probably for another thread. As a general rule though you are right, a large degree one way or the other can produce some very undesirable ball flights.

That's definitely true dude. I was just speaking in generalities though.

That's definitely true dude. I was just speaking in generalities though.

Yep, you are right, generally speaking it's not fun to have those extreme swing paths.

My natural shot is a little fade, so naturally I play with a bit of an out to in path. I can swing in to out when I want but it feels much more forced and I tend to sacrifice some distance.

You guys that know your swing paths. Is it helping your game?

I know my path is a little problematic. I don't know how to fix it. So I take lessons.

For someone who is just starting out, knowing that my swing path was actually somewhat unbroken was a huge psychological boost. It allowed me to focus in on the other parts of my game, without feeling like I have 20 things to deal with. And if it were a problem, I would know I had to add it to the list.

I know my path is a little problematic. I don't know how to fix it. So I take lessons.

You have a way with words, Blu.

I have a more in to in or an out to in.

As far as my irons are concerned I definitely think it is helping my game. When I start to get a little out of position though it can certainly punish me with the driver and FW's.

It helps in that I have a slightly inside to out path 95% of the time and that when I hit a ball that goes right I can be pretty sure I left the club face open. Before I knew anything about swing path or numbers, I just assumed that any ball I ever hit that went right was because I was over the top. I spent a lot of time fixing problems that weren't there and I can now spend that time addressing my actual swing faults.

It helps in that I have a slightly inside to out path 95% of the time and that when I hit a ball that goes right I can be pretty sure I left the club face open. Before I knew anything about swing path or numbers, I just assumed that any ball I ever hit that went right was because I was over the top. I spent a lot of time fixing problems that weren't there and I can now spend that time addressing my actual swing faults.

This is a really good point. In my case, I assumed my problems were my swing in general. I was trying to tweak it, adjusting all sorts of things, but the SwingByte gave me the data to know where the real problem was. So in general, I think knowing more about your own swing allows you to focus where you need to. Otherwise you may be fixing something that isn't broken, leading to other problems.

Back