Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

If you like the M, I wouldn't go with the K. They are sort of polar opposites. K is a great bouncy wedge, but it's not a flopping club imo. Too much junk in the trunk for that. Don't know much about the L. The S is pretty nice for me with an open face if you can try it out.

Bounce is sort of player dependent. If you're playing in softer conditions or are really steep, the higher bounces may help. I typically just go mid-bounce when I'm buying wedges.

If you like the M, I wouldn't go with the K. They are sort of polar opposites. K is a great bouncy wedge, but it's not a flopping club imo. Too much junk in the trunk for that. Don't know much about the L. The S is pretty nice for me with an open face if you can try it out.

Bounce is sort of player dependent. If you're playing in softer conditions or are really steep, the higher bounces may help. I typically just go mid-bounce when I'm buying wedges.

I think that's what I'll end up doing, thanks for the help Hawk! The safe way is always the best way.

I'll echo Hawk here, if you like the M then I think you would find the K to be a little much. A lot of sole there with not relief anywhere. I personally did not like it. The L grind I have't really looked at so i can't tell you much about it and I don't have my grind sheet in front of me at work to give any real opinions on it.

Bounce is so player and condition specific it hard to tell someone what they should go with. I play most of my season in fairly netural to firm conditions. I do dig a little, but i found as the conditions firmed up in the late spring-early fall part of my season that the higher bounces was not agreeable. When I ordered my SM5's I went with a 8 degree in my 52 and I bent a 58 to 57 and changed the bounce to 11. While it is a tad higher than what I really wanted, it will add some nice versitility around the green. If you play in fairly soft conditions year around or soft fluffy sand then I would look at higher bounces. A set I keep in Florida at my parents places, I have 10 and 14 degree bounces because of the softer conditions I play in down there.

Been toying with these a bit. While I still prefer my regular wedges by a pretty large margin, I do like what they did here compared to the SM4.

Been toying with these a bit. While I still prefer my regular wedges by a pretty large margin, I do like what they did here compared to the SM4.

I'm not even sure I hit those SM4's. Maybe a time or two, but I can't recall right now.

The main issue I have right now is just the setup for the way I normally play my wedges. The 60/S grind fits in nicely, but the other two aren't really my normal choices. I was able to sort of alter my approach during testing, but that's not something I know if I'll be willing to do long term. That has nothing to do with the actual wedges and their quality though of course. Just a personal thing.

I'm locked in to get the 60.08 M grind and the 56.10 M grind. My issue is choosing the 52* to go with the 08F or the 12F... It's a soft course, we get a lot of rain especially this time of year. I'm thinking the 12 might be the right choice for me, what do you guys think? Again, mostly bum and run shots along with a full 110-115 yard shot.

That might be a good plan, especially since it sounds like you're taking full swings with it. Might help you dig less.

I personally like lower bounces in the lower lofts. I find I don't dig as much with my lower lofts as much so I take some bounce out of those. That's where the personalization of wedges comes in. That said, if you are playing a very soft to soft course than that 12° sounds like a good option for you. I find the 10° I have in a 52 to be great on a soft course and that 12° will pretty much keep you from digging in a soft course.

I plan on ordering two of these in the next few days. I think I'm getting a 54.10 M grind and a 58.11 K grind. Would this sound right? I play in soft conditions and my swing is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I ended up going with a 52.08F, 56.10M and 60.08M set of chrome SM5's. Ordered them yesterday and they should be in by Thursday! Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. It's nice having a place to consult potential purchases lol!

I got the 58.11 K grind last week. When I make solid contact with the ball 3/4 or even full swing, spins the ball and up and down softly. But often I get under the ball and it spins and goes about 5yards. Now for pitching or chipping, it's helped my game drastically. I ordered the tour chrome finish btw.

I plan on ordering two of these in the next few days. I think I'm getting a 54.10 M grind and a 58.11 K grind. Would this sound right? I play in soft conditions and my swing is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's so hard to say. If you're not planning on opening that 58K much (except in a bunker) then yes it'll be fine there. The 54M should be pretty versatile for you. I've used it for long bunker shots, normal pitches and chip shots, etc. Great wedge.

I ended up going with a 52.08F, 56.10M and 60.08M set of chrome SM5's. Ordered them yesterday and they should be in by Thursday! Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. It's nice having a place to consult potential purchases lol!

Glad you got it worked out! I like that finish too. The one I'd pick if I was choosing.

i bought some sm4's on special at end of last year for $80, never hit them. Took them into a local store and exchanged them and just wanted $20 extra for each club. Took in a 50 and a 62 SM4 and fed my bag with 54 and 58 SM5s. Both in 'M' grind as i play a variety of different kinds of courses, from lush to dry. The 54 is a 10* bounce and 58 is 8* bounce. These will definitely complement the i20's i'm gaming very well.

Having them shafted with my iron shafts of KBS Tour 90's, and with the new groove design and reshafting, hopefully I'll have a done of control and consistency. I'm excited to play these wedges, but probably won't get them back from reshafting for about 10 days.

Wow confused. Seems common for folks to go beyond 56*.
Do shops do a grind fitting? No clue what I need. Assume I am a digger.
Also, with AP1, if I got a 60*, I'd have 5 wedges. For those with a "modern" 44* wedge what do you suggest after than and associated grinds?
I think I have drifted into equipment tinkering overload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, with AP1, if I got a 60*, I'd have 5 wedges. For those with a "modern" 44* wedge what do you suggest after than and associated grinds?

If I was going to buy new wedges right now to fit into my AP1 (6-48° w1) set it would be like this:

52° AP1
56°/60°

Also, yes I think you could get some help on grinds at a good Titleist fitter.

Both the 56 and 60, but I always like a bunch of wedges. Not uncommon to see people go 52 and 58 these days too if they don't want/need as many options.

What is the major difference between the SM4 & SM5? @geneticistx what made you trade in SM4's w/o hitting them for the SM5's?

If you have an Advanced Titleist Fitting Center in your area they should have, according stuff I have read on Titleist website, every grind and loft combo available for fitting.

What is the major difference between the SM4 & SM5? @geneticistx what made you trade in SM4's w/o hitting them for the SM5's?

Grooves are the big difference. The SM5 has the TX3 groove which is a new groove for the Vokey consumer line. I have read somewhere, i can't recall where, but its similar to the pro groove that came out on the hand ground last year. Also new finishes with the Raw Black and Gold. And more grinds are avalible without having to go to the TVD series.

I bought the SM4 at a year end blow out sale - 62* for a high lofted wedge and I was going to replace a set-wedge with the 50. I am having my i20's retrofitted with shafts (Kbs tour 90 s) and figures my wedges (54* and 58*) we're pretty bear up (I play a lot) so new wedges made some sense, especially because of the reshafting etc.

I alternate between i20 and AP2, both sets are amazing but if I'm in a groove, the AP2 is really like cutting through butter. I digress.

Since I was replacing my wedges and I had two that I could trade in, why not get the SM5??! I'm more of a club ho than anything.

I have a 54 and 58 SM4 I'll keep with my AP2 set, and bend them to 53 and 57 for consistency.

Now if the weather here in Toronto would turn, all would be good.

I do love me some 60/S. What an easy club to hit a bunch of shots with. Typically don't gravitate towards black, but I am enjoying it.

Finally got my Vokey 54/10 M grind. Hit some shots at the practice area at my home course. Really like what I saw. Versatile and very nice feel to it. More testing to come.

My 54.10S is quickly becoming my go to club in a pinch. I'm really liking these

Back