Jurgen Klinsmann Named U.S. Football (soccer) Coach!

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
Orange County's Jurgen Klinsmann, the former German World Cup star and coach, has been named the U.S. national team's head coach.

Klinsmann, who has lived in Orange County for more than a decade, will be formally introduced in New York on Monday. His first match as Team USA's new coach will be against Mexico in Philadelphia on Aug. 10.
Article Tab: Juergen Klinsmann, shown waving to a Munich crowd before a match in 2009, coached a surprising German team to third place in the 2006 World Cup. Klinsmann has been an Orange County resident for more than a decade.

Klinsmann played 108 times for Germany leading them to victory in 1990 World Cup and the 1996 European Championship. He also coached a surprising German team to third place in the 2006 World Cup.

"I am proud and honored to be named the head coach of the U.S. Men's National Team," said Klinsmann. "I would like to thank the U.S. Soccer Federation for the opportunity, and I'm excited about the challenge ahead. I am looking forward to bringing the team together for our upcoming match against Mexico and starting on the road toward qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup."

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/klinsmann-310119-team-cup.html

Thought the hire should have been made last year, but better late than never. Even if he fails, at least his name won't hang over every subsequent coach the way it did over Bradley.

Soccer coach. Thats all.

HAPPY DAY!!! This is fantastic news! I have been amazed that Bradley has been on for so long. He is not a bad coach and the men did pretty well last year (should have gone to the semis though), but Klinsman is a fantastic coach and can bring the US Men where they need to go! Best hire ever for the US men!

Klinsmann has been rumored to replace Bradley multiple times in the past, so now we get to see what he can do with this team. Hopefully they give him full control of not only the World Cup team, but also in how to structure the programs for the U-20 and U-23 teams so that there can be 1 streamlined approach to the national team. Development of the younger players is priority #1 for 2014, I can't wait to see what happens.

Klinsmann has been rumored to replace Bradley multiple times in the past, so now we get to see what he can do with this team. Hopefully they give him full control of not only the World Cup team, but also in how to structure the programs for the U-20 and U-23 teams so that there can be 1 streamlined approach to the national team. Development of the younger players is priority #1 for 2014, I can't wait to see what happens.

+1 bro. Treat the US like a giant club team like others. I like it.

Long time coming...

but Klinsman is a fantastic coach

Klinsman is a terrible coach, but an excellent man manager (which one could argue is what a National team that doesn't get to practice a lot together needs). When Germany went on the run, Low was the coach and made sure players could play in the system, developed roles, etc. Klinsman did tactics and man management to kept the players happy.

I'll be impressed if this works out to be honest.

I'm happy with this move. Maybe now he will see the value in people like Jose Torres and Hercules Gomez.

I don't expect anything great from this hire. The regular powers are still strong and there are some other countries that are putting together some impressive young teams. USA will be lucky to make the quarters again in the next WC.

This should have been done immediately after the loss to Ghana. Bob Bradley is a good man but a terrible football coach.

This should have been done immediately after the loss to Ghana. Bob Bradley is a good man but a terrible football coach.

Agreed but it's not like he had a lot to work with. USA's being football generation is going to be about 8 to 10 years for now and then we'll see a real super power. There's a lot of really good talent in the pipe line but they just aren't ready yet.

If Klinny can get the youth development/training regime set for all the national team levels to get the kids ready he'll have done a superb job. I can't imagine much is expected of him in terms of winning in the meantime. The guys in charge of US football are no dummies and are doing a lot of right things to set up the whole system.

Agreed but it's not like he had a lot to work with. USA's being football generation is going to be about 8 to 10 years for now and then we'll see a real super power. There's a lot of really good talent in the pipe line but they just aren't ready yet.

If Klinny can get the youth development/training regime set for all the national team levels to get the kids ready he'll have done a superb job. I can't imagine much is expected of him in terms of winning in the meantime. The guys in charge of US football are no dummies and are doing a lot of right things to set up the whole system.

Well said, I agree 100%.

I'm happy with this move. Maybe now he will see the value in people like Jose Torres and Hercules Gomez.

Agreed. Gomez was underused in my opinion in 2010.

Amen. I'm hoping that at a minimum we're going to get an improved youth development system. Keep in mind that Germany's WC run came largely through the young players scouted/developed by Klinsmann when he was manager.

Amen. I'm hoping that at a minimum we're going to get an improved youth development system. Keep in mind that Germany's WC run came largely through the young players scouted/developed by Klinsmann when he was manager.

I agree, the value that Klinsamnn will bring is defining a style of play and having that filter down into our youth development system. I think this is a good, if obvious, choice, one that should have been made long ago. Thank you Bradley for all that you've done, it is time to move on.

Back