Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Review Thread

I will answer for myself

Balooning - No
Dispersion - Better
Playable Misses - Yes

One last question, how do these compare distance wise to the XR pros?

For me coming from the J15DF, I am seeing a bit less distance maybe a 1/2 club on misses but if I flush it I get the same so that may be the difference in forgiveness. With the Recoil 110 shafts the ball flight is definitely higher than the i95 steelfibers but not any balloning I have noticed and if I want to flight them down it seems to be easier with the Pros.

At this point I think the dispersion is better when I do things correctly, they go where you set up no question about that.

Freddie maybe we can get together late next week (I have to go to Bogota on Monday) and you can try them out.

I will answer for myself

Balooning - No
Dispersion - Better
Playable Misses - Yes

Thanks dude. Those are HUGE variables to me.

About 15 yards shorter in the 4-7 and 10 yards shorter in the 8-AW.

15 yards shorter for me Freddie. Also, a LOT LOT more spin which lead to some pretty wide dispersion margins.

Did the spin make your shots balloon? Or did you just see it in your misses?

All shots did for me. After switching heads it swastika even close. These are designed to be true players irons which spin more because of that.
Great question Freddie. Also, tighter dispersion? more playable misses?
Much wider dispersion. Much.

I never thought about the increase in spin like that. Makes sense.

I never thought about the increase in spin like that. Makes sense.
Yep yep, players style irons (players cb, blades, mb, etc) will always spin more by nature. For me being steep, it tends to lead to a pretty massive distance drop and dispersion change. I hit a ton ton ton with these too because part of me wanted to make them work desperately, but Nick came with the numbers and the science and it didn't lie. I saw about a 15 yard jump to the cf16 and a crazy better dispersion. These are fantastic irons, but I think it says a ton that 12 average golfers just got fit by Callaway best into the cf16, each and every one of us.

Yep yep, players style irons (players cb, blades, mb, etc) will always spin more by nature. For me being steep, it tends to lead to a pretty massive distance drop and dispersion change. I hit a ton ton ton with these too because part of me wanted to make them work desperately, but Mike came with the numbers and the science and it didn't lie. I saw about a 15 yard jump to the cf16 and a crazy better dispersion. These are fantastic irons, but I think it says a ton that 12 average golfers just got fit by Callaway best into the cf16, each and every one of us.

That is telling. And with a pretty large range of handicaps to boot.

All shots did for me. After switching heads it swastika even close. These are designed to be true players irons which spin more because of that.

Much wider dispersion. Much.

15 yards shorter for me Freddie. Also, a LOT LOT more spin which lead to some pretty wide dispersion margins.

It sounds like the Apex CF are in my future

It sounds like the Apex CF are in my future
I mean this, they're everything you could or would want in an iron Panda. Right up your alley.

I mean this, they're everything you could or would want in an iron Panda. Right up your alley.

Im going to get on the SIM today and figure out what shaft is needed. I have an idea but want to be sure.

I was able to spend some time with this 8 iron on an outside Trackman machine today. The clubs had Project X 5.5 shafts.

What a beautiful looking club. You know you are playing a players club when you look down at it, yet at the same time it isn't so far at the end of the players club spectrum that it makes you nervous.

Generally, I saw about what you would expect to see from an 11 handicap hitting this type of club (my SS was 80-82):
- The ball moved more right and left than I need;
- I saw inconsistent distances which reflected my inconsistent ball striking. Most flew in the 135 range (about a club less than usual with my gamers) but a couple flew 165-ish.
- Trajectories at first seemed pleasantly easy and high but I started to wonder if the ball was flying too high and dropping.
- Feel is subjective. To me these were really nice. Not the softest feeling impact I've ever experienced but squarely in the spectrum for this type of club (By way of comparison I thought they felt miles better than the King Forged TEC, which I tried with KBS and recoil shafts but to me maybe not as pleasant as I remember the ping S55's being).

I obviously am not a consistent enough ball striker to fully take advantage of these clubs. But put them in the hands of the target golfer they are meant for and they'd be a real weapon.

Last edited:
Spent some time with Phil today at The Grand Del Mar for our 2016 ad shoot. Phil is now rocking the apex pro irons and loves them. Also has an Apex hybrid in the bag.
9c1c9f61debfc930831d909b17b661fe.jpg
38ac6a40b37a9646e87071474350ce7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent some time with Phil today at The Grand Del Mar for our 2016 ad shoot. Phil is now rocking the apex pro irons and loves them. Also has an Apex hybrid in the bag.

That's a lot of lead tape on that 64*

Wow that is a fun setup. LOVE seeing him make the move to the Pro's.

Pretty bag but they're all facing the wrong way!

What's under the white cover holding his towel?

Now DNevs tell the truth. What is better, hanging with Phil at a photo shoot, or hitting balls next to me on the range at The Hideaway? It's OK, you can say it. Phil will understand.

Those Apex Pros are gorgeous and I am pretty sure if I wasn't in love with the CF16s I would have them in the bag.

Those Apex Pros are gorgeous and I am pretty sure if I wasn't in love with the CF16s I would have them in the bag.
I was kind of surprised when my fitter told me to strongly consider them. They were really good.

I was kind of surprised when my fitter told me to strongly consider them. They were really good.

They really are and I was watching you hit both and kind of secretly hoping you chose them.

Back