Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
T Mobile? What kind of service do they offer for your area? Not very good up here.

They are fine. Not sure they are fine in a few of our travel areas however. I know Sprint, Verizon and AT&T seem to work in the areas we head to the most.

They are fine. Not sure they are fine in a few of our travel areas however. I know Sprint, Verizon and AT&T seem to work in the areas we head to the most.

be interested to hear what your options are at the end of the day.

be interested to hear what your options are at the end of the day.

Thanks. They all have hidden fees such as line fees, hot spot fees, etc. So we will get to the bottom of it today and figure it all out.

Thanks. They all have hidden fees such as line fees, hot spot fees, etc. So we will get to the bottom of it today and figure it all out.

I remember sprint used to have some extra fee for hotspot, but they have changed their plans seemingly 5 times in the last couple of years.

iOS has run its course in my house. Next to go is the MacBook Air/iPad for a Surface Pro 3 or another Windows 8 convertible.

Huge fan of the Surface Pro. The 3 looks absolutely great.

So while at the Verizon store yesterday I looked at how much data every one on our plan was using. My sister was using over 20 gigs every month. Holy data usage batman.

I remember sprint used to have some extra fee for hotspot, but they have changed their plans seemingly 5 times in the last couple of years.
Getting real info out of these stores is hysterical. They don't even know their own rates and this goes for all of them.

Getting real info out of these stores is hysterical. They don't even know their own rates and this goes for all of them.

The in store help at those places is the last place I would go for info. They are always clueless

Saw these on Twitter yesterday. Hope they work better than my Jaybirds at staying in.

Spent all morning at the different stores and it really comes down to gimmicks and how much things have changed. These Edge and Buy it Now programs are quite interesting if you break down the numbers vs what they were previously. But the companies are smart enough to know they cant just pull the wool on people, so instead offer different plans only available if you take these programs.

As an example, a phone costs $199 up front and the subsidy of course will be packaged into the plan (traditional in the past).
Now, the phone is $25 per month and the plan is cheaper. However when you break it down, you end up paying for more than in the past with every single carrier.

Phones got too expensive so the options are going to shrink until it ends up with this "rent to own" model. Makes sense for those that like to upgrade frequently. And makes sense for those that cannot afford the phone cost up front. But it punishes those that want to keep their phone or dont need an early upgrade.

Example. VZW. They have their pooled data plan that you need to pay $25 for each phone when you buy it. WHen you pay for the entire cost of the phone over the course of 2 years, you no longer have that $25 bill included, which is a nice savings of about $300 a year. So here I am with no contract but new phones on Verizon and say I want that plan. It should not matter to them, because according to Verizon, all I am doing is covering the cost of the phone with that $25 a month and they give it back to me in savings. But because I am not buying a new phone, they wont let me have that plan. That cheaper plan is only there if I want to go rent to own...EVEN knowing that once I pay for the phone after 2 years, that I would still be on that plan. It makes no sense. I paid for my phone in full. I should have access to the plans that are offered to those that are paying for their phones.

It shows how much VZW makes on selling the phones broken up over that 2 years.

My wife and I are both sucked into the AT&T Next plan due to water damage. I think eventually all companies will stop subsidizing phones as they're losing quite a bit of money. It sucks but that where we're headed.

The other thing to look closely at is data usage. Many of the rent to own plans seem (I haven't done thorough research because I'm not in the market for a phone) to only include a finite amount of data, which would barely cover my access to THP alone.

The other thing to look closely at is data usage. Many of the rent to own plans seem (I haven't done thorough research because I'm not in the market for a phone) to only include a finite amount of data, which would barely cover my access to THP alone.
I'm this instance you choose how much data.

I'm this instance you choose how much data.
I could see how that would benefit many people then as most people want the newest and shiniest thing out every year and don't want/have $300+ to drop.
I personally have a sprint shared plan with unlimited data and some obnoxious amount of voice time, but I have had that plan for 5 years. I'm curious to see what I get asked to change to next year when my contract is up.

My wife and I are both sucked into the AT&T Next plan due to water damage. I think eventually all companies will stop subsidizing phones as they're losing quite a bit of money. It sucks but that where we're headed.

They arent losing money subsidizing phones. However they know how much we love smartphones and upgrading so they can fleece us for even more.

They arent losing money subsidizing phones. However they know how much we love smartphones and upgrading so they can fleece us for even more.
Very true. The problem is that those that don't need to upgrade as often suffer because of it.

Yeah and I think the word "need" is used loosely

All cell companies are a joke. Thankfully the Costco guy left me on the unlimited data plan again. I don't really understand what he was saying (it was mostly salesman BS) but because my phone used the same SIM card as my S3, he could hide the upgrade and not take me off the unlimited data. I didn't question his logic and just said thanks.

All cell companies are a joke. Thankfully the Costco guy left me on the unlimited data plan again. I don't really understand what he was saying (it was mostly salesman BS) but because my phone used the same SIM card as my S3, he could hide the upgrade and not take me off the unlimited data. I didn't question his logic and just said thanks.

It seems they are slacking off on the no upgrade thing. They let us upgrade and keep unlimited as well.

It seems they are slacking off on the no upgrade thing. They let us upgrade and keep unlimited as well.

You just have to call the carrier and make a stink. Wife is still on unlimited since iPhone 3GS.

You just have to call the carrier and make a stink. Wife is still on unlimited since iPhone 3GS.

We've done that in the past, but the last go around they flat out refused, ended up purchasing phones. But it worked this time.

Anybody have tripod or monopod recommendations for a tablet?

I record some soccer games. Not looking to spend a lot. Something on ebay, used, would even be acceptable. I just don't know anything about this stuff. I just want something stable. Currently, I stand on the top bleacher and hold the tablet while recording. But, the playback is pretty shaky. I bet some parents get a headache watching them.

We saw some guy at a tournement with a tripod and about a 15-20' extension. It had a cable that ran down to a control and viewer at eye level, allowing him to control the camera. Someone said that setup was couple grand. Crazy!!!!!

I bought a ishot for our iPad last year and used it to record volleyball games. It worked pretty well.

Ordered one of these today. $20.00 #fingerscrossed
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995446-REG/istabilizer_isttabm01_tabmount.html

IMG_327925.jpg
IMG_328037.jpg

Saw these on Twitter yesterday. Hope they work better than my Jaybirds at staying in.

I've got the standard powerbeats (got them for about 1/3 of the retail price). In terms of staying in my ears while working out, the best I've had. The only headphones I'll use at the range.

Damn the battery life on the Z3 is impressive.

iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-battery-life.jpg

FWIW, This was not an article for the Z3.

Damn the battery life on the Z3 is impressive.

iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-battery-life.jpg

FWIW, This was not an article for the Z3.

Interesting we are hearing of improved battery life with the 6 but the graphic you showed makes it look marginal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back