What's the better shot shape draw or fade?

ohio_striker

striped it
Reaction score
Handicap
after the run DJ has went on since changing his shape from a draw to a fade. It makes me think a powerful fade is the best shot in golf. hogan, jack, tiger and dj now more recently have had success hitting pretty much all fades. A draw can get out of control quickly and a fade is more controllable and lands softer. so what shot shape is is the best in your mind?

This year my mantra is #EmbraceTheFade.

But I think a draw looks so much nicer.

Not sure, but I think it depends on the hole and sometimes the course in general. For pure distance I believe the draw will go further!

Well, that's like comparing apples and oranges. Neither one is "right" or "wrong". I say whatever works.

I play a natural fade or straight, so I go with those 2. The funny thing is, while my natural shot shape is a fade, I can't pull it off on command.

On the other hand, I can sometimes pull off on command a straight shot or a draw. Sometimes.

Not sure, but I think it depends on the hole and sometimes the course in general. For pure distance I believe the draw will go further!

you are right but i would trade accuracy for distance up to a point.

If I had to choose between the two, fade or draw, it would be a fade. A draw can quickly turn into a hook and you can't talk to a hook. It hits the ground and takes off left. A fade quickly turn into a slice and a slice will set down. I prefer a straight ball flight.

I think the fade is better be chase it's easier to control but a draw will always look better

I don't think there is a right answer for everyone, but my best stretches of golf by far have been with a draw. I can't control a fade at all.

I think the fade is better be chase it's easier to control but a draw will always look better

Does that mean your draw will look worse than mine since your LH? :D

Personally I think it is whatever is natural for the Golfer. I think we get into trouble trying to force a shot shape that is tough for our swing instead of grooving what we have (generally speaking)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The better shot is the one that is consistent

They both have their merits but I'll take a fade all day every day. Knowing how to play both will help any players

I have to say draw just because that it all I can hit. I can pull off a push fade every now and then with a metal wood. It is certainly not from lack of effort that I cannot hit a fade.

Whichever one keeps you out of trouble to most is the better shot.

I've tried to do my best to really work on a draw, and it does show up sometimes nowadays. But the fade is my natural shape and my pro keeps telling me to just embrace it and make it work for me.

Used to be that all I ever hit was a fade off the tee. I played it and did pretty well. Then, I decided to take lessons, watch U Tube and try to hit it straight. Now I'm 40% fade, 30% draw and 30% straight. Basically, I hit the dang thing and accept what ever the result is. Most of the time it's not exactly where I wanted it but it's fine and I move on.

I play a fade so I'm sticking with it lol been trying to get my draw more consistent but it just doesn't click like my baby fade does

They both have their merits but I'll take a fade all day every day. Knowing how to play both will help any players

Agreed. I am trying really hard to be able to do either, but I wish my body would reset itself to fade default. I played all my junior golf hitting a fade and was always interested in a reliable draw for its merits but it never really clicked like my fade. Now fast forward I tend to hit more of a draw and am having trouble finding my fade when it counts, and I want it back.

Didn't Tiger with the 2000 US Open playing a draw, almost exclusively?

I live the look of a draw, but nothing feels better than a strong power fade.

For me, a fade is better.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to hit a draw with the driver for pure distance and a fade with everything else for control and softer landings on greens.

Didn't Tiger with the 2000 US Open playing a draw, almost exclusively?

I live the look of a draw, but nothing feels better than a strong power fade.

For me, a fade is better.

Tiger plays a "power fade" so no he did not play a draw entirely to win any tournament.

Tiger plays a "power fade" so no he did not play a draw entirely to win any tournament.
I thought he was a draw player early in his career. I know plays a fade now. I could be wrong. Not the first time

Whatever is your natural swing is what's best. I prefer to play my draw but like being able to hit a fade when needed.

You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen....
And my natural ball flight is a draw...

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think a fade is slightly more reliable. However for those who need distance hitting a draw can help. Wouldn't really say either one is better. Would love to be able to hit both on command. I can hit a draw, struggle to hit a fade.

It's funny how the draw is perceived as the long ball. DJ is the longest on tour with a fade. JB plays a fade and is mildly long. I play a fade, I know a lot of faders that don't struggle in the distance department

Back