Srixon Z F65 Fairway Wood - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This thread will highlight my review of the Srixon Z F65 Fairway Wood. They have introduced a great progressive technology in the crown that allows the player to get maximum efficiency depending on loft, which makes an awful lot of sense when you consider what is 'ideal' launch/flighting as you increase loft. Paired with the Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 shaft, I'm expecting a really easy transition from the top and high end flighting out of shots both off the tee and out of fairway lies.

From Srixon

In the Low Lofts

This club will be geared towards distance in low loft settings thanks largely to ball speed being enhanced by the new "Stretch Flex Cup" face technology.

Cup%20Face-S.png

The face has been constructed to be 8% thinner than it's predecessor, which introduces a larger COR (essentially, the energy transfer between two objects) area in the Z F65 Fairway Wood. Early testing by Srixon suggests an average of four yards of increased distance in comparison to the Z F45 head.

Weight has been strategically positioned in the heel and toe sections of the head to help improve the overall MOI (or moment of inertia) which will help to stabilize the head when golfers miss the center of the face. Additionally, the crown includes a small 'step' which will lower the CG, promoting high launch with lower spin.

Crown%20Step-S.png

In the High Lofts

Srixon has incorporated an "Arc Support Channel" which is a small channel that runs along the crown which is intended to promote a higher launch with optimized spin. This design is expected to tighten the dispersion and optimize numbers, especially above the central area of the face.

Channel-S.png

Shaft Pairing

The Srixon Z F65 fairway wood comes stock with the Miyazaki Kaula MIZU 6 series, which has a fairly straight line flex with a slightly softer toe section. They have defined this to be suitable for golfers seeking maximum distance and control.

Shaft-S.png

Models Available

Specs-S.png

Grip

Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 (50g)

In Hand Photos

0725161929d-XL.jpg

0725161929c-XL.jpg

0725161925-XL.jpg

0725161928d-XL.jpg

0725161925c-XL.jpg

0725161925e-XL.jpg

0725161925f-XL.jpg

0725161926a-XL.jpg

0725161926b-XL.jpg

0725161927a-XL.jpg

0725161928b-XL.jpg

0725161929-XL.jpg

Hard to tell with the pictures, would you consider this a more shallow or deep faced fairway wood?

I think I would prefer some sort of alignment aid on the crown.

The progressive crown technology certainly sounds interesting and innovative

Love the looks. Love the headcover. I find it odd they went away from adjustability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking head! How forgiving is it??

Man that looks clean.

Hard to tell with the pictures, would you consider this a more shallow or deep faced fairway wood?

I think I would prefer some sort of alignment aid on the crown.

I think it's a pretty head neutral design. I don't think the profile is a huge departure from the 355 I reviewed previously, but it also doesn't feel clunky. I think the most important element is how it manages the ball both off the tee and off the fairway. I think most people look for a versatile head.

The progressive crown technology certainly sounds interesting and innovative

Yes, it's something I am really excited to see. Makes a lot of sense considering the number of progressive iron sets we've seen.

Love the looks. Love the headcover. I find it odd they went away from adjustability

Same. I think what surprised me most was the use of the same shaft (65g) that's in the driver James is reviewing. I'm pretty comfortable with the 70-75g range but am excited to see how this profiles as I believe companies select shafts/weights for a reason.

Great looking head! How forgiving is it??

We'll know soon enough!

Happy to see them increase the head size a bit this year. I liked the F45, but it was on the smaller side for me. Not a huge difference (168 vs 173cc), but depending on profile might be enough to have a bit more confidence looking down at it.

Looks like a great off the tee club. Pics look great I really like the headcover as well. Like the with the other metalwooda arc support channel has me very inquisitive

Wow this looks super simple and clean I like it. The progressive head tech has my interest piqued.

Club looks great as the rest of their line, too bulky for me though.

Maybe it's the angles.

I think a lot of people are going to enjoy this fairway offering. The setup is really neutral in total. Typical glossy crown, the step frames the shot nicely, and the shiny finish of the face is a departure from what we've been seeing from other companies lately. Sound is also quite neutral on the spectrum, which I find to be a good thing. Not hollow, not really manufactured, just a fairway sounding fairway wood (if that makes sense at all).

Golfers are going to have a pretty easy time getting this one airborne, especially off the tee. I tend to hit a pretty high ball with stock setups, and anything teed up 1/8 of an inch above the grass really promoted some high flight which is great to see, and I think makes a lot of sense with the Kaula 6s pairing. Despite the launch in those instances I was still getting some great distance, which makes me believe the spin ratio is very fair.

Off the deck I saw a much more neutral mid launch. It's very easy to get the ball off the ground and I didn't experience any thinned shots after about 20 shots on the range. During my 9 holes, I was able to hit it once off the fairway from about 250 and ended up pin high left with a mid to mid/high flight. My goal was to hit a bit of a fade as I generally drop about 10 yards of carry when trying to fade from my stock draw, but I found the F65 to promote a very straight flight overall. Big miss for me is probably a 20-30 yard draw off the line which is a typical miss.

More to come.

S
I think a lot of people are going to enjoy this fairway offering. The setup is really neutral in total. Typical glossy crown, the step frames the shot nicely, and the shiny finish of the face is a departure from what we've been seeing from other companies lately. Sound is also quite neutral on the spectrum, which I find to be a good thing. Not hollow, not really manufactured, just a fairway sounding fairway wood (if that makes sense at all).

Golfers are going to have a pretty easy time getting this one airborne, especially off the tee. I tend to hit a pretty high ball with stock setups, and anything teed up 1/8 of an inch above the grass really promoted some high flight which is great to see, and I think makes a lot of sense with the Kaula 6s pairing. Despite the launch in those instances I was still getting some great distance, which makes me believe the spin ratio is very fair.

Off the deck I saw a much more neutral mid launch. It's very easy to get the ball off the ground and I didn't experience any thinned shots after about 20 shots on the range. During my 9 holes, I was able to hit it once off the fairway from about 250 and ended up pin high left with a mid to mid/high flight. My goal was to hit a bit of a fade as I generally drop about 10 yards of carry when trying to fade from my stock draw, but I found the F65 to promote a very straight flight overall. Big miss for me is probably a 20-30 yard draw off the line which is a typical miss.

More to come.
sounds very solid so far

I'm having a great time with this fairway. It's definitely a different setup than I am used to with the lighter shaft and what seems like a more neutral face, but I've already had a lot of success overall.

Over the course of the weekend I'll have a few different swing types take some cuts with the fairway to see what their natural flight is. Right now I am noticing a draw trend which is fairly typical for me in general, so having the extra swings on it will be a nice determination on what you can expect as a natural shot shape. In two scenarios I attempted to hit fades, and both accepted it with one fading about 5 yards and the other fading about 10 yards.

On the first hole of the night (535 yard par 5) I hit 3 wood off the tee claiming I was going to hit a soft high draw off the right hand side and I executed perfectly, leaving me 255 yards to the hole out of the fairway. Because the hole was cut on the right side of the green, I opted to try and hit a fade (which I think cuts off a bit of yardage as well which was ideal) and I managed to execute again, bouncing in front of the green and rolling out to about 12 feet. Flight was in the mid range. Two shots, both great distances and did exactly as I had expected them to. Awesome!

More to come soon. As always, feel free to ask questions and I will do what I can to isolate and answer.

After hitting this, I want one.

I have to say the fairways and hybrids look really good. Looking forward to more updates and THP review upcoming.

Good review Dan. The previous line didn't work well for me and will be curious to see how I get along with this one.

Great review Dan, I know quite a few guys his this a few weeks back and really liked what they saw. The head/shaft combo looks really good in person, that orange really "pops"

I'll definitely look at the 3+ or 3 in this.

Really looking forward to this one. I liked the 45 series, and the improvements in this line (namely the higher lateral MOI) seem like they address some of the things I thought could be improved in that line.

Nice writeup, Dan.

Well done Dan.

This is one that I think could be right up my alley, I like launch, and I like a MOI jump.

Great review Dan!! I want to demo this one

Happy to see them increase the head size a bit this year. I liked the F45, but it was on the smaller side for me. Not a huge difference (168 vs 173cc), but depending on profile might be enough to have a bit more confidence looking down at it.
Was thinking the same. I have the F45 and it resembles a Hybrid more than a Fwy which isnt a problem when my game is on but like you say can be a bit daunting when youre just not firing right. Looks like this is more along the lines of a regular Fwy head.

Back