Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Ah ok so generally a shaft that creates alot of spin. Not what we want peoples!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats not what I said.

I'm honestly not sure what the differences are, if any.

Thats not what I said.

I'm honestly not sure what the differences are, if any.

Oh sorry. In the chart from earlier Speeder 569 is just a high spin shaft, so that's why I thought so
6546790ffcc782579eed641c93128b69.jpg

Very windy conditions but was getting a beautiful piercing ball flight with this club. -1 degree, neutral, and gravity core up.

This driver is so forgiving it's crazy. Misses all over the face will go straight. I Couldn't be more tickled to have this in the bag.

Very windy conditions but was getting a beautiful piercing ball flight with this club. -1 degree, neutral, and gravity core up.

This driver is so forgiving it's crazy. Misses all over the face will go straight. I Couldn't be more tickled to have this in the bag.

Which shaft did you use, if I may ask?

Stiff Speeder 565

Great. That's the "standard" shaft the 815 comes with and the one I was considering as well. Sounds like a great deiver from your review

Great. That's the "standard" shaft the 815 comes with and the one I was considering as well. Sounds like a great deiver from your review

It may not be the best shaft for my slow swing but I can't argue with results. Best driver I've ever hit.

Which shaft did you use, if I may ask?

All of the THP testers for the standard 815 are getting the Speeder 565 S-Flex shafts with 10.5* loft.

I can't seem to find the Speeder 565 which is the standard shaft of the 815, in the chart. Do you have an idea where that shaft lies?

I didn't hit the Speeder. My numbers were with the 10.5* & 9* heads with the Rogue Silver 60S

All of the THP testers for the standard 815 are getting the Speeder 565 S-Flex shafts with 10.5* loft.
I had to switch mine to the Tour Green 65 the Speeder could not handle my swing

Typically it's transition related. Not swing speed.

Have you had a chance to hit yours with the Speeder 665 yet? Thinking about going with that shaft also at 44.75" but in stiff flex. Any idea what the swing weight is on your finished product?

Have you had a chance to hit yours with the Speeder 665 yet? Thinking about going with that shaft also at 44.75" but in stiff flex. Any idea what the swing weight is on your finished product?

Once. on a flightscope. The numbers were goofy. Swing weight is DGaF-3.

I have no idea what the swing weght is. I did see a "+2sw" on the custom build breakdown

Once. on a flightscope. The numbers were goofy. Swing weight is DGaF-3.

I have no idea what the swing weght is. I did see a "+2sw" on the custom build breakdown

I am not really sure what the heck it is either but it gives me a warm, fuzzy for some unknown reason if it is pretty consistent throughout my bag. I am guessing the +2sw is to get it up to the advertised D3.

I am not really sure what the heck it is either but it gives me a warm, fuzzy for some unknown reason if it is pretty consistent throughout my bag. I am guessing the +2sw is to get it up to the advertised D3.
That's what i would guess is to get it up to stock d3. The DBD is d4. I never thought I could be able to tell one swing weight (I can't on irons for sure) but the DBD feels so much more head heavy compared to this one. Maybe it's just in my head but I am thinking about switching out the 1g weight with a 3g to get swing weight up. I have d4 on all my clubs and it's what I prefer

That's my thought as well. Since I brought the overall length down to 44-3/4"

I went to the range yesterday decide to take my R1 to test against the 815 is as forgiving as the R1 but way lower spin and longer the sound is so much better than R1.
A bunch of the guys i play with were out there yesterday they hit the 815 and all commented on how it was the best sounding callaway driver they had hit i had a couple of guys offer to buy it so i guess they liked it

The sound is definitely contagious. Reminds me a lot of a hybrid between this year's Bertha and Alpha.

So let me ask you guys something.

And this doesn't apply only to the 815 but all Cally adjustable heads.

In your opinion and from what you have seen, heard and read. If I drop the loft and put the setting on D draw will it play closed for a true draw?

So let me ask you guys something.

And this doesn't apply only to the 815 but all Cally adjustable heads.

In your opinion and from what you have seen, heard and read. If I drop the loft and put the setting on D draw will it play closed for a true draw?

I talked to Callaway about the "D" function and it's not - ironically - a draw you get. It's a ball that STARTS to the left. The way you create a draw is, adjusting the two weights. Before I was told this, I had it in "D" AND I had the weights give me a draw, and it created a bunch of snap hooks where my ball started off to the legt of the target and then drawed further out to the right.

I talked to Callaway about the "D" function and it's not - ironically - a draw you get. It's a ball that STARTS to the left. The way you create a draw is, adjusting the two weights. Before I was told this, I had it in "D" AND I had the weights give me a draw, and it created a bunch of snap hooks where my ball started off to the legt of the target and then drawed further out to the right.

Here is their answer on my question (this is for the 2014 BB Alpha, but I recon the principle is the same):

- When more weight is moved to the toe side of the club, it will cause the toe to drag and would promote a fade/slice depending on how heavy it is. (for example, the 7g weight in the toe and 1g weight in the heel will promote the most amount of fade/slice)
- When more weight is moved to the heel side of the club, it will cause the heel to drag and the toe to turn over a little more, promoting more of a draw launch pattern. (for example, 1g in the toe and 7g in the heel will promote more of a draw than having 3g in the toe and 5g in the heel.
- The adjustments on the cog of the driver are two things:
- 1. Adjusting the loft of the driver from (-1 degree to +2 degrees loft)
- 2. Having the face of the club either Square or Closed. A closed face would promote a shot that starts more left than square and would help even more with a slicing/pushing problem. A square face would promote a very straight-starting ball flight.

There is also a gravity core on the middle of the sole of the club. When this is set to the heavier side on the sole side of the club, it will promote a tad-bit more loft and less spin. The whole loft-up idea is emphasized with this setting. When the heavier side is closer to the crown, it will promote a little more spin and lower launch to possibly aid with particular shot-making.

Went through my first ever fitting today and my fitter recommended this driver for me. Have a few shaft and swing weight related questions I have sent to Callaway, Once I get those resolved, the trigger will be pulled on this driver along with a V Series 3 wood and Heavenwood.

Any news from Callaway on your questions mate? #SuperExcited!

Low spin is great, but only in conjunction with an appropriate launch angle and ball speed.
Different ball speeds will have different 'ideal' launch and spin combos. There's a helpful trackman chart that shows this...I'll post it when I get home later.

Hey mate,
Did you have a chance ti find this chart? I'm dying to see it
Cheers,
Ace

Back