What's your "must have" trait when it comes to irons?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it. What's that thing that a set MUST have for you to get along with them? Can be all over the place, performance, aesthetics, whatever.

So THP, what is it?

For me, it's offset. I'm a mental midget with offset, and FOR ME there is definitely such a thing as too much.

Little to no offset for me as well. Clean lines. Toe ish forgiveness or at least consistent feedback. Starting to put turf interaction in there too.... Courtesy of the Srixon releases...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graphite shafts. I can play almost any iron head but since switching to graphite a few years ago it is awful to go back and hit irons with steel in them.

Minimal offset is a must for me as well. Then it must be chrome/shiny satin

This might sound outrageously picky, but, a ferrule.

Non-ferruled irons look insane to me.

This is true. I think only PING still has lines without them

Meaningful Offset- I need all I can get.

Chrome or Black. Minimal Offset. Thin Topline.

Consistency. That may seem odd considering the other responses, but remember your question was what "trait", not what feature. I want an iron that gives me a consistent direction, distance, and feel, then does so throughout the set. I couldn't care less about distance compared to other iron models, topline look, and how pretty it is. These are my scoring clubs. I need consistency.

I like graphite shafts in my irons as well. Big toplines don't bother me.

Title says it. What's that thing that a set MUST have for you to get along with them? Can be all over the place, performance, aesthetics, whatever.

So THP, what is it?

For me, it's offset. I'm a mental midget with offset, and FOR ME there is definitely such a thing as too much.

Exact same response for me as well. Although as my ballstriking gets worse and worse each year I am starting to be open to different things including more offset if it helps in the long run I will make due with the look of something.

Forgiving toe with minimal offset

Cannot look bulky when looking down at them. Even if I hit them good if I have the thought of them being big in my head it kills them for me.

I don't think I have a single trait instead the club has to have the whole package - thin top line, minimal offset, narrow sole and good turf interaction.

Medium offset and all the tech I can get to give me as much distance as possible. Loving graphite this year too!

JM

This is true. I think only PING still has lines without them

I think they got rid of their last ferrule-less iron in the G series this year (though they may still sell the older ones, I'm not sure what they consider "current")

A cavity.

Not too much offset and a thinner top line

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Consistency. After a few swings I know if I have a shot at semi-regularly striking the ball well with an iron. That's got to be there otherwise the irons are completely non starters for me.

I need a high spinning design. Sire there's other traits I love too, but a low spin iron design will never grace my bag again.

For me I got to like the club's look at address...I know from that one look if I will game it or not.

Needs a decent amount of forgiveness. Just can't have something that will kill all distance when I miss the sweet spot.

This right here. Must have.
Needs a decent amount of forgiveness. Just can't have something that will kill all distance when I miss the sweet spot.

Aesthetically it's a clean look at address. I like forgiveness, but don't want it noticeable at address.

Turf interaction is key. The Srixon soles come to mind

Graphite shaft offerings. First thing I look for is if Recoils are available

Small profile, gotta look small from every angle

Back