Brilliant Way to Select Teebox

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I just saw this pop up on my twitter... a series of flags at Longleaf for kids to determine what tee boxes they should be playing from.

C1VM0GsXcAAPhdf.jpg:large

Could it get any simpler than this?! I might actually bring it up with my club this year about doing a line of tees and letting our membership hit to them to find out what the appropriate tee box for their game is. I know a lot of them will be very disappointed, but it's a much better way that trying to have them make up how far they hit their driver.

What does everyone think? Suitable for all golfers, or just the kids?

I love the idea, although don't think it works because as golfers, our brains get in the way at times...haha
Our course has GPS on it that tells you how far you hit your drive when you pull up to it. You have no idea how often we hear people say "these things are way off".

I just saw this pop up on my twitter... a series of flags at Longleaf for kids to determine what tee boxes they should be playing from.

Could it get any simpler than this?! I might actually bring it up with my club this year about doing a line of tees and letting our membership hit to them to find out what the appropriate tee box for their game is. I know a lot of them will be very disappointed, but it's a much better way that trying to have them make up how far they hit their driver.

I love this, I think this could work for everyone

I love the idea, although don't think it works because as golfers, our brains get in the way at times...haha
Our course has GPS on it that tells you how far you hit your drive when you pull up to it. You have no idea how often we hear people say "these things are way off".

Isn't that the truth. There are a few work associates I get to play with in scrambles during our conferences. Usually these are resort courses with GPS and a couple of guys that hit between 290 and 310 consistently always hit around 240 to 250 according to the inaccurate GPS in the cart.

That's really clever!! I think I'll take it to my club also!!

I REALLY like that system, it takes (some of) the ego out of it to a point and gives you a clear visual of where you are most likely to be successful getting GIR from.

I like it. I think more so than anything this should be in place at resort courses just to help speed up play with guests.

Hard to argue with that.

They need this at boulder creek....and more tee boxes

haha, well, if you're out there with your foursome, even the benefit of the doubt gets us much closer I think.

Especially if you don't put a number on it. Match the flag to the tee colour and they don't even have to do the math!

The idea is cool but ego makes people select a certain tee where they smashed one ball, on one day, one year haha.

The idea is cool but ego makes people select a certain tee where they smashed one ball, on one day, one year haha.

Even if they pepper one out of five, I still think it closes the gap better.

What a great idea! I think it could work for everyone though I'm sure not everyone will like the results.

Even if they pepper one out of five, I still think it closes the gap better.
Id like to think so, but of course its all up to the person to even acknowledge the board haha. We've all seen guys completely wiff while on the championship tees and they know they shouldnt be there. I really do like the simplicity of it tho and wouldnt mind seeing it on more courses.

Id like to think so, but of course its all up to the person to even acknowledge the board haha. We've all seen guys completely wiff while on the championship tees and they know they shouldnt be there. I really do like the simplicity of it tho and wouldnt mind seeing it on more courses.

I think it's one thing to claim you hit it 250 when you really hit it 220, and another entirely to be out there with your group hitting it 220 claiming you're hitting it 250. Take away the actual yardage and just stick with the color of the flag, and suddenly the ego is gone.

I know people would still play wherever the hell they wanted to, but I do think this would be a great tool to validate for those who are honest and reasonable.

I think it's one thing to claim you hit it 250 when you really hit it 220, and another entirely to be out there with your group hitting it 220 claiming you're hitting it 250. Take away the actual yardage and just stick with the color of the flag, and suddenly the ego is gone.

I know people would still play wherever the hell they wanted to, but I do think this would be a great tool to validate for those who are honest and reasonable.
Definitely agree man.

Last edited:
That is a really great and simple way of at least giving people a way to make an informed choice. That's not to say people won't blame "old range balls" or something to make sure they're playing the blues/blacks, but information is only as good as the person using it wants it to be.

I think that it is definitely a start. I do think that it relies too heavily on driver distance, but there is not one great variable to base teeboxes on, so might as well pick one of the better ones to go off of.

I like this idea and hope more courses offer tee boxes for kids to play.

It's a good idea and may benefit those who are willing to open their mind to the concept.

I used to always play from the back tees when I got back into golf 2 years ago...Had to eventually drop the ego and move up. My driving distance is actually going up, (I average 245-250 carry) but I wouldnt play the back tees until I was a single digit HCDP at least.

Great idea. This would be great at a few courses I play. We have GPS at my home course that gives you total yards for your drive, I can't tell you how many guys say "that GPS is way off" after they see their distance. And that is always guys playing the back tees and driving it 205 yards!

Let me jump in here before Rollin does. :D This is a good idea in a vacuum, but it's not always that easy. If you're good drives are 250-270 and your bad drives are 35yds off line this doesn't help. When you miss sideways, it doesn't matter what tee your standing on 30 extra yds ain't gonna help. But I don't think that means you should be on the forward tee and never hit driver either.

Back