2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think of this as my time for no distractions. Today my wife asked a girl (18-20) if she was still using something. The girl said yes, then went right back on her phone for another 3-5 minutes.

I travel for work so i doubt I get much use out of the gym. But for my wife's sake I hope the novelty of the new gym in town wears off soon, as it can be very frustrating to work out there.

I told my wife yesterday or the day before that if this was where I worked out everyday I'd quit the gym in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. That's no bueno.

Oh yeah. That's no bueno.

On a more positive note, I added Landmine Oblique Twist to my core workouts and I can say I really like them.

Those are pretty awesome, please stay tight through the movement though. :)
On a more positive note, I added Landmine Oblique Twist to my core workouts and I can say I really like them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Those are pretty awesome, please stay tight through the movement though. :)

Wouldn't be much of a core workout, if you didn't keep the core activated,.

Haha yeah, just saying I've seen some people lower the weight like a limp noodle.
Wouldn't be much of a core workout, if you didn't keep the core activated,.

Haha yeah, just saying I've seen some people lower the weight like a limp noodle.

I've noticed if you around the gym there are always people you look at and wondering what the hell are they doing... Lol

Yessir.
I've noticed if you around the gym there are always people you look at and wondering what the hell are they doing... Lol

I have a deep love for the rowing ergometer. I usually do HIIT workouts with it (I posted one earlier in this thread, but as I'm on my phone unable to link).

Here's an excellent YouTube video on rowing form:
https://youtu.be/zQ82RYIFLN8

thanks! now, if I just had a dock on the lake, I'd be all set. :act-up:

Rows are awesome. It'll all depend on what you want to get out of it, that will make the cost worth it or not.

goals are mostly around cardio fitness, cholesterol control and weight loss. I know diet will have a bigger impact on the last 2 points but leveraging an increase in metabolism will contribute greatly to that.

I need to drop about 25-30 pounds and reduce waistline by 2-3 inches. I have a sedentary job so having the machine right outside my home office door lets me use it more w/o having to go to a gym or leave the house to work out. That's my biggest barrier....getting started with a regimen each day. If I have to make a trip to go workout, I don't do it.

goals are mostly around cardio fitness, cholesterol control and weight loss. I know diet will have a bigger impact on the last 2 points but leveraging an increase in metabolism will contribute greatly to that.

I need to drop about 25-30 pounds and reduce waistline by 2-3 inches. I have a sedentary job so having the machine right outside my home office door lets me use it more w/o having to go to a gym or leave the house to work out. That's my biggest barrier....getting started with a regimen each day. If I have to make a trip to go workout, I don't do it.
Hey I can totally get down with that, I'm a programmer / designer so long computer hours are the norm. I actually built a home gym for myself (and roommates) for the exact reason. Its verrrrrrrrry convenient to have it at home but guess what? That means no excuses to not use it haha gotta hold ourselves accountable but I have faith in you, you can do it! Best of luck!

Hey I can totally get down with that, I'm a programmer / designer so long computer hours are the norm. I actually built a home gym for myself (and roommates) for the exact reason. Its verrrrrrrrry convenient to have it at home but guess what? That means no excuses to not use it haha gotta hold ourselves accountable but I have faith in you, you can do it! Best of luck!

for that extra motivation, I'm trying to figure out how to add a beer dispenser to this thing. :act-up:

subwife bought us a Concept 2 rower for Christmas. I'm not a runner. Too hard on the knees. I've never liked stationary bikes or treadmills either. I travelled to Europe a lot in a past job and it seemed like all the hotels there had good quality rowing machines in their gyms. That's an activity I don't get bored with and I like the full body workout you get from rowing. So....we're going to give this a shot in 2016. I need her to start feeding us better and I need to hit the oars every day. I think I can do this.

I've been contemplating one of these things for a couple of years but hate parting with that kind of money for an exercise machine. The good news: if I ever get tired of it, used ones are fetching probably 80% of the cost of a new one so I can get most of my money back.

I did 5Km on the thing yesterday in 3 splits. I'm getting used to it but enjoyed it. Working on getting the technique correct first

subvet, you should join a team for the Virtual challenge running for the month of January. (Maybe we start a THP Team ?????) Helps with motivation to get on the rower !

I got my concept 2 on the 15th, already put 44k on it. The online forum, logbook and app (ErgData) are awesome. Tons of info..

I would be down for joining in as well. I'll see if the erg at the YMCA is Internet connected. I think it's a model D, so it should be able to be connected.
subvet, you should join a team for the Virtual challenge running for the month of January. (Maybe we start a THP Team ?????) Helps with motivation to get on the rower !

I got my concept 2 on the 15th, already put 44k on it. The online forum, logbook and app (ErgData) are awesome. Tons of info..

Excited for the 2016 thread. In the past 2 months I have been crushing my workouts with my cousin who is a trainer. Unfortunately my diet has been the struggle

hey, I like the THP sculling team idea. :act-up: you guys have to know I'm an old guy (57) and am not in fighting trim yet so I don't want to sink the team.

I'm just now beginning to browse all the cool stuff on the Concept 2 site. I have some travelling to do in January for business so my participation in any organized challenge events could be trumped by work stuff. But I'm game for organizing a team if we can get some more THP-ers interested.

I'm I the gym. Feeling good about my squats. Bench press went AWFUL. I am definitely ready for a deload and retest.

Excited for the 2016 thread. In the past 2 months I have been crushing my workouts with my cousin who is a trainer. Unfortunately my diet has been the struggle
I'm the same way. I'm struggling to not eat every sugary thing put in front of me, but going to the gym is easy. I've been stuck in neutral weight loss wise for a month, but I figure after the holidays and temptations are over, the scale will be my friend again.

I'm the same way. I'm struggling to not eat every sugary thing put in front of me, but going to the gym is easy. I've been stuck in neutral weight loss wise for a month, but I figure after the holidays and temptations are over, the scale will be my friend again.

I feel like I say the same thing every year and continue to struggle. I'm on weight watchers now and after having lost the past 5 weeks I gained 1.8lbs last week and am really having a hard time with cravings

Had a great work out at orange theory this morning it feels good to get the juices flowing. Burned 940 cals and 2 dress sizes

bench

bench

I hear this. Same thing here. Going up north for 4 days this weekend and won't be able to bench. Maybe it is what I need.

I'm I the gym. Feeling good about my squats. Bench press went AWFUL. I am definitely ready for a deload and retest.

Idiot trainer has this poor woman doing some kind under hand row in the Smith Machine using bumper plates.

f4bedf4d5654c538e02bc767905e51a8.jpg

Idiot trainer has this poor woman doing some kind under hand row in the Smith Machine using bumper plates.

f4bedf4d5654c538e02bc767905e51a8.jpg
Wow!!! That makes me sad. We joke about that damn thing but the range of motion it's forcing her into is pretty nasty. Feel bad for her

Just started phase 2 of my program and it's switching from goblets to front squats and wtf they are soooo awkward! I feel goofy just trying to hold the bar, I tried crossing my arms and tried the wrists under kinda thing and they both seem weird. I can't do half of what I low bar squat.

Just started phase 2 of my program and it's switching from goblets to front squats and wtf they are soooo awkward! I feel goofy just trying to hold the bar, I tried crossing my arms and tried the wrists under kinda thing and they both seem weird. I can't do half of what I low bar squat.
Front squats are goofy. Best way to hold the bar, bar on deltoids, finger tips under bar. The bar is not being held in place by the hands. Elbows high. Humerus should be parallel to the floor. Widening the hands may be a good option.

Front squats are almost all quads. You're greatly reducing the muscle mass being used.

Front squats have their place in training for certain lifters.

Wow!!! That makes me sad. We joke about that damn thing but the range of motion it's forcing her into is pretty nasty. Feel bad for her
Yup. Made me shake my head. People listen to that guy because he's got a massive physique. But he's not very good at training people. He had his client after this poor lady doing leg press things in the assisted pull up machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back