Traditional size putter grips

VPSax

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Good afternoon, THP!

I've been on the Superstroke train for a couple of years now. Strongly considering returning to a traditional size putter grip. Call me crazy, but in tinkering at Golf Galaxy I think the smaller grip increases feel.

Anyone else on the same page? Prefer traditional putter grips to oversize?

Yeah I prefer traditional. I used an oversized pistol grip in the past but it was short lived. I'm more comfortable with traditional.

Good afternoon, THP!

I've been on the Superstroke train for a couple of years now. Strongly considering returning to a traditional size putter grip. Call me crazy, but in tinkering at Golf Galaxy I think the smaller grip increases feel.

Anyone else on the same page? Prefer traditional putter grips to oversize?

I use a THP SuperStroke 1.0, so to me, size wise its pretty darn similar.

With the way I've been putting the past couple of rounds, it's crossed my mind/.

I have had great success with the SS, and now I have a putter or two with standard size grips. I have not been able to get comfortable with the small grips any longer.

I've tried the SSR2, 1.0, and Mid Slim. I feel like the pistol grip (Ala traditional Ping) promotes more finesse. I've had a lot of trouble with distance control recently.

i'll echo JB's thought.
I'm pretty happy, and efficient, with either a midsize "signature" grip or a SS 1.0

Yep, the 1.0 is pretty dang similar in size, just without the taper. Its why I enjoyed it for so long.

Have you tried Iomic? They're a popular traditional grip

I like the smaller grips too. I use the grip Pat O'Brien recommends and for me I need a normal sized grip for it to feel right.

I've thrown a couple of SS mid slim 2.0's on a couple of putters and was really liking the feel. Then one day I pulled out another putter with a traditional grip and started putting great with it. That grip is pretty worn so I actually just ordered a new black out Ping grip to replace it. I'll have to see how this goes, may be going back to traditional full time. Coincidentally I have been reading Zen Golf and started using some of the tips from the book so that could be a large reason for the better putting as well, but I'll roll with it all!

Have you tried Iomic? They're a popular traditional grip
I've got an Iomic mid size on one of my putters and it provides real nice feel and feedback. However the SS is the grip that I'm getting the best results with on the two putters that I rotate.

I have had great success with the SS, and now I have a putter or two with standard size grips. I have not been able to get comfortable with the small grips any longer.

This me as well. I doubt I'll go back now to standard, but you never know. I'm much better with the 3.0 than ever.

I feel i have very good feel and distance control with a standard grip. The SS 3.0 does feel really good, but I cant move from my Lamkin ebl 3gen smooth pistol.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I feel i have very good feel and distance control with a standard grip. The SS 3.0 does feel really good, but I cant move from my Lamkin ebl 3gen smooth pistol.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I am a fan of this grip as well. Also like the Pure standard sized grips. Currently using the SS 1.0 and Flatso Ultra grips but have both of the pistol grips I mentioned tucked away in a box in case the SS grips fall out of favor.

I jumped on the Super Stroke wagon a long time ago when my dad gave me a putter with the original Plastic rubber screw on grip. Loved that grip but it was too heavy and hugeeee. Don't like the new grips from a wear standpoint as well as feel. Have read a lot of traditionalist articles recently that say a smaller leather grip will provide the best feel. Bought an old Spalding TPM putter for nothing on Ebay that came with a really well preserved leather grip, and I'm agreeing with the traditionalist view point. I also think all the crap put into some new putters also takes away feel.

I've tried Super Strokes ... BUT

now play a Tacki-Mac (Edel) Round Grip - it has no taper and I put a couple of wraps in it.

With the round grip, no need to worry about whether the grip is aligned to the face.

I jumped on the Super Stroke wagon a long time ago when my dad gave me a putter with the original Plastic rubber screw on grip. Loved that grip but it was too heavy and hugeeee. Don't like the new grips from a wear standpoint as well as feel. Have read a lot of traditionalist articles recently that say a smaller leather grip will provide the best feel. Bought an old Spalding TPM putter for nothing on Ebay that came with a really well preserved leather grip, and I'm agreeing with the traditionalist view point. I also think all the crap put into some new putters also takes away feel.
Yup...this is what I am talking about. I spent a lot.of money on an Odyssey Works putter this year. Tried it with the traditional grip, but ended up putting a SD Midslim on it. The best feel I had with the putter was in the store with the original grip.

Back