JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish more companies made 10 and 11 irons. As more golfers stop at the 5 iron it seems to make sense to me. The new Honma Be Zeal set does this very thing and I love the look of it in the bag.

bz-L.jpg

11-L.jpg

I actually like the naming of these as 10/11 irons rather than AW/SW. Since they really are more irons than wedges. I LOVED the set SW in my G15 irons, which often got its use more like an "12 iron"

Are these meant to be the set AW and SW? What are the lofts for them?

• Admin
I actually like the naming of these as 10/11 irons rather than AW/SW. Since they really are more irons than wedges. I LOVED the set SW in my G15 irons.

Technically its the PW and AW. I think then you would begin your wedge set.

Technically its the PW and AW. I think then you would begin your wedge set.

Yeah, I failed at counting big time there. I think my point still stands. To me my 50* AW is an extension of my irons much more than it is my wedges, and same goes if I put the set SW in play.

I like this idea as well. I think replacing the PW with a 10 and a GW with an 11 cuts out the confusion of different letters for the super casual golfer (my dad). "What's a U wedge? And why does one company call it a U while others call it a G or an A?"

• Admin
Yeah, I failed at counting big time there. I think my point still stands. To me my 50* AW is an extension of my irons much more than it is my wedges, and same goes if I put the set SW in play.

Me too. That is why I think I like the numbering side of it. As CG has gotten lower and ball flight higher in irons, we have seen lofts come down and that will continue to some extent. I love the idea of a 10 and 11 iron.

I like the 10/11 idea much better than Hogan's Lofts. I think it makes perfect sense really.

• Admin
I like the 10/11 idea much better than Hogan's Lofts. I think it makes perfect sense really.

Me too. Funny story about that. Yesterday Mward was at my office and we were going through some golf clubs to pack away and a partial set of Hogan's was sitting there. Watching the two of us try and figure out which irons we were missing was hysterical.

I love the idea of a 10 and 11 iron. It makes so much more sense than "wedges" with a full on iron design.

Me too. Funny story about that. Yesterday Mward was at my office and we were going through some golf clubs to pack away and a partial set of Hogan's was sitting there. Watching the two of us try and figure out which irons we were missing was hysterical.

I still don't know what you're missing or what you even have.

This makes perfect sense with the set wedges. In my bag I have a set pw so in that case I would have a 10 iron and then my wedges would start. That sounds funny but it makes sense

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I also like the idea of a 10 and 11 iron instead of a PW and GW, because anymore, they are used mostly as full swing clubs just like short irons. I almost exclusively use my GW as a full swing club, even though it's a different design than my iron set. I really wish Bridgestone made a GW in this set, but they don't.

i like the idea because it prevents confusion when people are building the bottom of their bag. there's no, "well, i already have a gap wedge so i don't need another 50*" when in reality a set 50* and 50* wedge may perform very differently and may both be necessary to cover gaps.

I am on board with an 10 and 11 iron. It just makes sense to me

I like this idea. Will take some getting used to seeing 5-11 in people's signatures though.. lol

Yay novelty.

When it comes to set wedges I think it makes a world of sense to continue the number convention rather than GW, AW, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm down with it. I've never seen an 11 before this. A friend of mine in HS had a set with a 10 iron and I know we saw that recently here.

10 and 11 irons sure beats Bridgestone's PW2 and PW2.

I absolutely love the idea of 10 and 11 irons, especially considering how I use those two.

Never crossed my mind to think about the numbering system like that, very intriguing.

I kind of like the 10/11 numbering system over the PW/GW designation.

yup, much better than what Bstone and Titleist did with those.

I honestly have loved the AP1 every time I hit them, but that wedge setup infuriates me as someone who likes to play 54 and 58 degree wedges.

Back