Wilson D200 Irons Review Thread

I hit these at Golfsmith at one of the D200 challenge events. I hit my Di11 first and had some good hits with it, and then hit these. Wow, I was hitting these 15 to 20 yards farther. They seemed to go high, straight and FAR!! I'm going to have to go to Carl's Golfland and hit these off the grass. They felt so good!!! But I have to hit them off the grass to be sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be able to give feed back in a couple of weeks when I get my 2 hybrid at the THPLegacy. In the meantime, here's a little discussion about the D200 hybrids:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?66730-Wilson-D200-hybrids

Thanks Shakey...that was good information. I am playing the D200 irons with the stock steel shafts (stiff) and like the ball flight, distance, dispersion and forgiveness. And looking at you WITB do you think the D200 2 Hybrid with the Stiff Chrome Element shaft would be good for me to hit off the tee on sharter par 4's? I really never liked hybrids off the deck (I know wheird but my strength is irons and wish they made the D200 in a 3 iron) so I would only want to hit off the tee...thanks for the info and any feedback you can give. And for all I am really enjoying the forgiveness of the D200 irons. Glad I made this choice.

I can't wait for the THP event with Wilson golf where every participant gets a set of prerelease irons.

Is that the event where I break my promise to my wife that Legacy will be my last THP event of 2015?

Last edited:
Thanks Shakey...that was good information. I am playing the D200 irons with the stock steel shafts (stiff) and like the ball flight, distance, dispersion and forgiveness. And looking at you WITB do you think the D200 2 Hybrid with the Stiff Chrome Element shaft would be good for me to hit off the tee on sharter par 4's? I really never liked hybrids off the deck (I know wheird but my strength is irons and wish they made the D200 in a 3 iron) so I would only want to hit off the tee...thanks for the info and any feedback you can give. And for all I am really enjoying the forgiveness of the D200 irons. Glad I made this choice.
I don't actually have the clubs in my signature now. I get them on July 24th at the THP event called The Legacy. THP has teamed up with Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, KBS shafts & Lamkin grips to give all 16 participants a full bag of clubs to play a Ryder Cup style tournament.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...l-You-Create-Your-Legacy-2015-THPLegacy-Event

I do have the D200 irons in 5-GW in stock steel already though. Right now my hybrids are a 16* 2 TM Rescue & 21* & 24* 3 & 4 W/S Fybrid.

I don't actually have the clubs in my signature now. I do have the D200 irons in 5-GW in stock steel already though.

Oh okay...well I will be very interested in hearing how you like the 2 Hybrid and how you like the irons with the C-Taper Lites. I have always played KBS Tour shafts (stiff) and always loved them but they had gotten a little too heavy for me to swing effectively (bad shoulders) but I am feel somewhat comfortable with the True Temper SL 85 shafts...I think it is more of that the head weight of the D200 irons and the shafts match up nicely. However, I defintely am better off swinging with a smoother tempo than going after one though...LOL

Is that the event where I break my promise to my wife that Legacy will my last THP event of 2015?

Yes. Yes it is, Erky.

Well that did not last long. My short review of the :wilsonstaff: D200 irons are thet are everything you have seen written about them. They are very forgiving, yet I don't get caught up in the distance advantage they bring because when you look at the specs of how the 7 iron is setup it is more like a 1/4 inch shorter 6 iron. So I am not surprised by an increase in distance like with my 7 iron. However, my issue after playing a few rounds and hitting them at the range a couple of times was just getting use to the size. Being that I use to be a 6hc and played many player irons during my time I just found the more I looked down at these the more I longed for more of a player iron (but forgiving)...so this past weekend I went back to GS where I bought these (30 day return policy) and started shopping around and found someone had traded in a set of :ping: i15 irons (see sig) in really nice condition. Back when I played alot I owned these irons a few times and they were always one of my favorites...again all the money I wasted swapping around back then looking for the holy grail...LOL Anyway I re designed my entire bag (again see sig) to go back to :ping: and came away from the whole deal with $52 dollars on a gift card. My plan is to figure out which shafts I want in the i15 irons as the :ping: graphite shafts felt pretty nice (very light) but I was thinking of going to :kbs: C-Taper Lite shafts and have :ping: install and refinish the i15 irons for me and get the swing weights correct (D1). I know that will cost me some change but I think this is a great set of irons that can last me a long time and I love hitting them through the bag. My plan though is to still work with the :wilsonstaff: Duo Spin golf ball as I like this ball so far.

That's really interesting how the looks do or don't affect different people.

A good friend of mine is a 3.1 index and has played the i20 for a couple years. . He tried the D200s a couple times on the range and loved them.

Bought a set that week and thinks they look just fine.... As he sends the ball high and straight at the flag.

Never thought I'd see him game GI clubs. But he is sold.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That's really interesting how the looks do or don't affect different people.
A good friend of mine is a 3.1 index and has played the i20 for a couple years. . He tried the D200s a couple times on the range and loved them.
Bought a set that week and thinks they look just fine.... As he sends the ball high and straight at the flag. Never thought I'd see him game GI clubs. But he is sold.

Oh I hear you...I followed Chris Couch one year at the PGA Tour event here in Tampa at the Copperhead course and he was in contention and I stood not two feet away from his bag and saw he was playing G15 irons and they had no special grind on them or anyhting (DG X100 shafts) and he literally killed the ball and almost won. So I ran out and bought G15 irons...I figured heck these things are very forgiving and if a Tour pro is playing them why not me? Also we both play the same type of a shot...a high fade. Well after a month or so I just felt like I was looking down at shovels (no offense to anyone playing SGI irons) and I think it is just a matter of what one can be comfortable with. Like we all know it doesn't matter if I am hitting i15 irons or D200 irons if I am swinging well I will shoot good scores and if not...well hope my short game shows up...LOL

I think my favorite thing about these clubs is the soles. They really do a fantastic job of getting down into the turf just far enough to let you elevate the ball without digging too deep. I hit a *lot* of chunky shots at True Blue and Caledonia and the fairways were really soft due to rain. I could sling a lot of mud and the ball would still fly. It's not something I would have thought of given the super hard fairways we have in Texas, but it's nice knowing that angle of attack forgiveness is there if I need it.

These sticks are just for high handicappers... High handicappers that shoot 1 over thru 13 in Sunday singles match at the Legacy!

But seriously, I know some people just can't stomach looking down at a bigger iron with offset, but I highly recommend giving these a shot if you need a forgiving, high launching & seriously long iron.

For those pondering the D200's, I don't know if its been mentioned elsewhere but if you go to the Wilson website, you can "Try before you buy" as they have a demo program available where you get to try a set of 3 irons for 14 days for a minimal cost. Just look in the irons section and you'll see D200 Demo's.

Played a round last Saturday, I'm seeing the same thing at home that I did in Myrtle Beach. Super easy to launch these clubs. If you struggle to get the ball in the air, these are worth a look.

The more I look at these and the reviews the more I want them. With my erratic swing these would offer the most in forgiveness. I'm looking at these and a set of G20s. I've narrowed it down between these 2 sets. Convince me not to go with the Pings.

The more I look at these and the reviews the more I want them. With my erratic swing these would offer the most in forgiveness. I'm looking at these and a set of G20s. I've narrowed it down between these 2 sets. Convince me not to go with the Pings.

I cant speak to the pings but these irons are the real deal. High launching, extremely forgiving especially out on the toe and thin which are my main 2 misses.

Sure. Hit them side by side and I think you will convince yourself. Both good sets, but the sole of the D200 is such a great tool for golfers that are a bit erratic.

Excellent guys I'm definitely going to do the free trial deal by Wilson. I've hit the Pings and while I like them I wouldn't feel right until I tried the Wilson d200 set. I like the looks of the Wilsons more in fact just boils down to performance.

I have owned both for short periods...can never seem to get comfortable with large head irons even though i know they help me be more consistent with my misses and this may be a shock coming from a guy who's username is i-Guy and looking at my sig below but I would highly recommend the D200 if you are a weekend player and want help from here on out. However, if you plan to work on your game (lessons, etc...) the G20 is a very good choice as there have been many top amateurs and Pros that have put them in play...but then again you could probably play at a high level with the D200 as well. Don't know if this helped but I tried...good luck and you cannot go wrong with either.

It actually did help. I need all the help I can get. When I swing with a slower tempo with a smooth transition I hit my best shots. Thing is I have a tendency to get hyped up and thats when I start shanking, slicing, pushing shots right. I think with the offset it would help a lot. Help correct the fades anyways somewhat. After I buy a set I will invest in a lesson or 2.

It actually did help. I need all the help I can get. When I swing with a slower tempo with a smooth transition I hit my best shots. Thing is I have a tendency to get hyped up and thats when I start shanking, slicing, pushing shots right. I think with the offset it would help a lot. Help correct the fades anyways somewhat. After I buy a set I will invest in a lesson or 2.

Cool and like I said you cannot go wrong with either...both quailty sticks offering a lot of help...depending on what help you need...I guess as I play a high fade...I want to see my ball start off a tad left and fade back toward the target...I play my best golf that way...I even putt with a real open stance as I feel it helps me see the line better...I guess I am just a left to right kind of guy. So when I play these type irons I can fade them but for the most part they just want to go straight which is fantastic for most players...but with somehting like my i15 irons I still get my fade but the long irons have enough offset in them to keep me from slicing...make sense? Oh and I always play a tad flatter then I am fitted for so I can keep my fade.

I also wouldn't buy an argument that a D200 is "only" for a high-handicap player or someone who needs all the help they can get. At THP Legacy a couple weeks ago I saw some mid-handicap guys with D200s shoot amazingly low scores, probably putting up some personal bests. Will you eventually "grow out of" D200s? Maybe. That might be when you're consistently shooting in the 70s, always hitting the sweet spot, and wanting to play with more shot shapes besides "long and straight".

Played a round last Saturday, I'm seeing the same thing at home that I did in Myrtle Beach. Super easy to launch these clubs. If you struggle to get the ball in the air, these are worth a look.

I cant speak to the pings but these irons are the real deal. High launching, extremely forgiving especially out on the toe and thin which are my main 2 misses.

Sure. Hit them side by side and I think you will convince yourself. Both good sets, but the sole of the D200 is such a great tool for golfers that are a bit erratic.
These sound like just what my wife needs so I can get my C100s back.

Ok, to be fair (and in case my wife reads this) it was my fault. The shafts in the women's set I purchased for her (not W/S) are too short. She tried my C100s during one of our rounds and now I'm using a backup set when we play.

These sound like just what my wife needs so I can get my C100s back.

Ok, to be fair (and in case my wife reads this) it was my fault. The shafts in the women's set I purchased for her (not W/S) are too short. She tried my C100s during one of our rounds and now I'm using a backup set when we play.
Get her the sweet looking ladies version. They look better than the men's IMO.

That was going to be my suggestion too, although really it depends on what shafts she needs. The ladies D200s come with some extra light ladies flex graphite shafts.

That was going to be my suggestion too, although really it depends on what shafts she needs. The ladies D200s come with some extra light ladies flex graphite shafts.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I just checked, the shafts on the ladies version are too short as well (she's 5'10"). Since she does well with my C100s in "R" flex I think she would be fine with D200s in "A" flex.

Back