Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Like I said, minor distraction. It annoys me that I have to go wipe it off because I'm gonna stare at it and wonder why my driver has a second degree sunburn

Like I said, minor distraction. It annoys me that I have to go wipe it off because I'm gonna stare at it and wonder why my driver has a second degree sunburn
You concern me.

You concern me.

Personal preference. It wouldn't keep me from buying the driver by any means, it's just nitpicking on a driver that doesn't have much wrong with it. Totally allowable!

Well, for some insane reason GBB just left Tampa this morning so it won't be making the today delivery, will have it in hand tomorrow though I'm sure.

Well, for some insane reason GBB just left Tampa this morning so it won't be making the today delivery, will have it in hand tomorrow though I'm sure.

Probably water on the crown messed with the shipping label :alien:

That's a bummer, I know you'd have photos up and likely a quick summary of its performance. One more day won't hurt though.

Guys lets keep this one to the product. Thanks.

for those that aren't a fan of the mate, will they offer a udesing with a different finish?

Matte or not, there's something about the chevron alignment aid that I just absolutely love on a driver. Can't wait to get some swings in with this at a demo day next week.

I love and it will be mine, doing a fitting in a couple of weeks when it comes available. But of course the 815 is behaving now that it is in danger.

This head with the PX LZ shaft is a bomber. I am getting slightly less spin than the 815, higher launch (same peak height) and slightly more distance. Loving seeing more launch and same peak with less spin. Dialing in should produce more distance for me.

This head with the PX LZ shaft is a bomber. I am getting slightly less spin than the 815, higher launch (same peak height) and slightly more distance. Loving seeing more launch and same peak with less spin. Dialing in should produce more distance for me.
That is honestly a scary thought. I'm Crazy eager to get this one head to head with my 815.

Last edited:
How do you get a higher launch and the same peak. Is the ball speed lower?

How do you get a higher launch and the same peak. Is the ball speed lower?

No. Peak height and launch angle are different items. There are many factors that attribute to this.

So much to learn about ball activity off the face of a club

So much to learn about ball activity off the face of a club

I dont want to derail this thread, but to give you an example, your PW and Driver should have similar peak heights, but the PW launch should be more than double what the driver launch angle is.

As cool as the shaft options chart looks, I would prefer Callaway do what Titleist does. Put all those wonderful shaft options on a chart with spin and launch characteristics. I think spin and launch (low, mid, high) is more important than weight.

As cool as the shaft options chart looks, I would prefer Callaway do what Titleist does. Put all those wonderful shaft options on a chart with spin and launch characteristics. I think spin and launch (low, mid, high) is more important than weight.
They have one for 2015 offerings at the beginning of the year...I'd guess we'd see the refresh in January

I'm lucky enough to have a Cally fitting center near me. With all the shaft and adjustments this offers, a fitting session is a must

They have one for 2015 offerings at the beginning of the year...I'd guess we'd see the refresh in January
That was more like PING's custom options. Let me better explain what I'm looking for.

For example, you're looking at two described mid launch and mid spin shafts. One would not be able to tell between the two shafts which is more on the "higher" launching of the two based on the PING or Callaway Custom Options material.

Check out the link below
http://media.titleist.com/images/ti...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=258579594

That was more like PING's custom options. Let me better explain what I'm looking for.

For example, you're looking at two described mid launch and mid spin shafts. One would not be able to tell between the two shafts which is more on the "higher" launching of the two based on the PING or Callaway Custom Options material.

Check out the link below
http://media.titleist.com/images/ti...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=258579594
Pages 26 and 27 have something that's close to the titleist one...not exact but is that what you were saying was like Ping?

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/45e102a6#/45e102a6/26

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Check out the link below

That's pretty much what they are doing, but looking at it from a SS perspective vs launch/spin. The technology of the club head design is just as important as the shaft. IMO they have taken out some variables going at it this way. Of course we all want a shaft to help maximize launch/spin conditions, but starting with addressing the shaft first does a great disservice to the club head design/technology IMO.

I'm lucky enough to have a Cally fitting center near me. With all the shaft and adjustments this offers, a fitting session is a must

I think this is spot on. I would have never put myself into my current set-up and w/o a proper fitting I would be lost off the tee. I think options are great but I hope people have someone they trust get them fit into the right shaft and loft.

For the tech nerds out there like me, Callaway has a "white paper" about this driver on their site that is really interesting: http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/whitepaper-leave-no-yard-behind.pdf

It's full of technical details and why they designed certain features of this driver, and lists the reasons why the average amateur golfer is leaving distance on the table. The other interesting part is that they list what the average amateur does when hitting a driver: 1.44 smash factor, 11.3 degree launch angle, 3326 rpm of backspin. They also state that the numbers they feel are in reach of the average amateur are 14 degree launch angle, 2400 rpm of backspin, smash factor of 1.50 with no sidespin. It's a little different than the 17/1700 concept of a few years ago that was out there. It's a cool writeup that they did, nice to see a company go in-depth like that with the technical details of how this club came into production.

Bumping this bc there is a lot of great information on how and why they designed this head. Easy to read and very straightforward.

Bumping this bc there is a lot of great information on how and why they designed this head. Easy to read and very straightforward.
Its seriously one of the coolest things I've read from an OEM about a release.

Its seriously one of the coolest things I've read from an OEM about a release.

I still have questions on the chart showing distance potential (not bad questions, just clarification), but overall nice to see how something this technical is broken down for everyone to understand.

Back