The "Mildly Annoying" Thread

So I asked the Marshal on #10 tee if he could push the group ahead of us a little and he said there was a group on the tee on #11. We never saw anyone on the green when they were teeing off #10! They get off the green and we had a little issue with everyone off the tenth tee and are getting ready to hit our approaches and the marshal comes up and says the group ahead of us just hit their second shots on the next hole. Well that's odd, but OK. So we get done with the hole and drive up to the next tee.. The only way they could have hit their second shots is if they had all duffed their tee shots, because they were all out at the landing area. What a dork. At least they had a marshal out today, although that was the only time I saw one in the five hours we were out there.

So I asked the Marshal on #10 tee if he could push the group ahead of us a little and he said there was a group on the tee on #11. We never saw anyone on the green when they were teeing off #10! They get off the green and we had a little issue with everyone off the tenth tee and are getting ready to hit our approaches and the marshal comes up and says the group ahead of us just hit their second shots on the next hole. Well that's odd, but OK. So we get done with the hole and drive up to the next tee.. The only way they could have hit their second shots is if they had all duffed their tee shots, because they were all out at the landing area. What a dork. At least they had a marshal out today, although that was the only time I saw one in the five hours we were out there.

One of the trouble with marshals is that they are probably friends with half the players on the course and spend most of their time visiting instead of actually marshaling.

My group waited on the first tee once for 20 minutes while the group just in front of us duffed their way, literally, out to our normal landing area. The marshal sat by the green and watched most of this. He then drove right past them, waving.

I stopped him at our tee box and told him that I didn't care if he knew every guy in that group, he needed to get them to let us through now. He grumbled, but went down there and made them move to the side so we could finally tee off. We played through and never saw them again. Just nuts!

I have yet to meet a Marshall worth a hoot. I'm sure they are out there; I've just never met one.

The most common annoyance is telling my group to speed up . . . when we have no place to go! We wait on the tees for the group in front of us to finish up, then when we pass the Marshall, we are told to "pick up the pace." Listen, I know that slow play is a problem, but come on, do your frickin' job and figure out who is causing the problem instead of scolding every group that comes by while you sit in your cart and chat with the snack stand girl.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but we once had a Marshall come up and almost yell at us. We pointed to the fairway at the group we were waiting on and he looked and told us to tee off anyway. We said "no, we won't hit into them and, by the way, it's not that group's fault either. It's the group in front of them. Why don't you go talk to that group?" He didn't. He just kept telling us to tee off. We finally did when the group in front of us moved to the green. My buddy put his tee shot right where they had been standing. All that Marshall had to do was drive the course backwards and he would have seen the huge gap caused by the slow group. WTF? Oh, and we were playing a scramble that day (and we told the Marshall that). When was the last time a scramble group caused slow play?

I find the way to deal with a marshall is the same way you deal with a cop who pulled you over for speeding and you need to convince him to not give you a ticket. The marshalls are easier though. By the time I finish talking - they've usually forgotten what they came over to tell me and they can't drive off fast enough. If I'm the one doing th ecomplaining - they'll do anything to resolve it so I stop.

It's a knee jerk reaction with marshalls--if there's a woman in the group, they'll come over and tell us to pick up the pace.

Instead of golfing this morning, I filled out all the kids' forms for the first day of school tomorrow and wrote brazilian checks. PTA dues, school photos, fundraisers (Sally Foster gift wrap, anyone?), and on and on. All of September, I just open my checkbook and bleed.

Claire - I love that gift wrap - it's the good kind that doesn't tear easily. Any chance Boo is a Girl Scout - I would definitely buy cookies.

Claire - I love that gift wrap - it's the good kind that doesn't tear easily. Any chance Boo is a Girl Scout - I would definitely buy cookies.

Boo is a scout, and I know there's a code you can use on the Sally Foster web site so her school gets credit for the sale. I'll pass it along as soon as I get it.

You can order Cub Scout popcorn on line and give credit to the troop, but I don't think you can do that with Girl Scout cookies. Except for the chocolate caramel stuff, Cub Scout popcorn is pretty lousy and overpriced.

Sorry - no can do on the popcorn. I don't like it. I'll order extra cookies to make up for it.

Sorry - no can do on the popcorn. I don't like it. I'll order extra cookies to make up for it.

I wasn't suggesting it! The Kid is onto Boy Scouts anyway, and that popcorn is nasty.

It's a knee jerk reaction with marshalls--if there's a woman in the group, they'll come over and tell us to pick up the pace..

I agree Claire. I have actually had a marshall say to us, "ladies lets make sure we don't slow up play" before he even saw any of us hit a ball! Once we hit our drives he said, "oh, ok, good." :loser:

I agree Claire. I have actually had a marshall say to us, "ladies lets make sure we don't slow up play" before he even saw any of us hit a ball! Once we hit our drives he said, "oh, ok, good." :loser:

Happens all the time Soxy. They always assume women can't play. Or they tell you to tee off because they think you can't reach the group in front. One day, one woman in my group shanked her tee shot and the marshall tossed her ball back to her even though the ball was in play. We decided he interferred with play and she got a do-over without penalty.

Happens all the time Soxy. They always assume women can't play. Or they tell you to tee off because they think you can't reach the group in front. One day, one woman in my group shanked her tee shot and the marshall tossed her ball back to her even though the ball was in play. We decided he interferred with play and she got a do-over without penalty.

You are too nice for your own good. I would have told him to leave my *%$#)@ ball alone.

UPS and Scheduled Delivery

UPS and Scheduled Delivery

I ordered an HDMI cable last week and it shipped UPS with a tracking number. But the UPS website does not give a Scheduled Delivery Date.

Is that new? Every other time I've gotten a UPS tracking number, there was a delivery date stated. Were they getting hammered for not delivering on schedule or something?

Or they tell you to tee off because they think you can't reach the group in front.

I have people that I am paired with do this to me. A friend of mine and I were paired with an older gentleman and he came over to us and said, "why don't you girls go ahead and hit, you won't reach them, I will have to wait though." My friend was able to tee off, but I waited until the group cleared. Then out drove the gentleman we were playing with by about 50 yards.

I am not saying all guys assume this, but when things like that continually happen, it gets "mildly annoying."

I have people that I am paired with do this to me. A friend of mine and I were paired with an older gentleman and he came over to us and said, "why don't you girls go ahead and hit, you won't reach them, I will have to wait though." My friend was able to tee off, but I waited until the group cleared. Then out drove the gentleman we were playing with by about 50 yards.

I am not saying all guys assume this, but when things like that continually happen, it gets "mildly annoying."

That's funny, I agree it is irritating, but its funny as well. I used to play with a young lady who was in her 4th year of college golf. She played from the men's tees with us and consistently outdrove all us old men. I never assume ladies can't play well, a lot can play quite well.

That's funny, I agree it is irritating, but its funny as well.

Oh, I am not going to lie, I loved that I out drove him!

The Mariners lost again, I can't sleep, and there is absolutely nothing on TV.

But what is most depressing is that I have a couple of unread books that I just can't get motivated to read. What's up with that?

I just got a big slobbering kiss from one of the Basset Hounds - not my favorite thing knowing where his mouth has been. Yuck!

I just got a big slobbering kiss from one of the Basset Hounds - not my favorite thing knowing where his mouth has been. Yuck!

Oh come on, its not that bad.

It could have been worse - Nicky likes to poke his nose in my eye - like a weird head butt.

Mine likes to lay on my head when I doze off on the couch.

Mine likes to lay on my head when I doze off on the couch.

Then you wake up and feel like you're drowning because you can't breathe?

Then you wake up and feel like you're drowning because you can't breathe?

No just on my hair, she likes the pillows.

No just on my hair, she likes the pillows.

My cat did that last night. She never, ever lays down with me, she is my wife's cat. But last night, she laid down right on my head at the end of the couch and roll over with all four feet sticking straight up and went out like a light.

My cat did that last night. She never, ever lays down with me, she is my wife's cat. But last night, she laid down right on my head at the end of the couch and roll over with all four feet sticking straight up and went out like a light.

So did you let her sleep?:act-up:

Back