My new toy... Bobby Grace F-18 Center-Shaft

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Fresh on the heels of the hotly debated 300.00 putter thread lol...

This one came in last night, ordered it last Thursday and Bobby had it drilled out that day. I've wanted a full mallet to add back to the arsenal for some time now, I'm not a full time mallet guy but its nice to have when things get a bit rough. The only mallets I really like come from Bobby Grace, the HSM insert just fits me.

The F-18 is basically very new and the "little brother" to his F-22, its a much smaller mallet and I love that. The basic model is the old MK5 that Bobby made solo and with MacGregor as well, its a model that I've had and gamed and liked alot. The F-18 itself is a very high MOI putter and the HSM insert is SUPER forgiving on mishits, also it comes with a full weight kit to adjust the swingweight...nice. Add to there are now roll grooves in the insert and a new "Multi-Rebound Radial Face" that is supposed to get the ball rolling faster, time will tell though.

Very excited to get this gem out and take it for a whirl. Bobby has always been good to me and easy to access and talk to person to person. I just love the look of this putter though, I know many won't like the "wings" on it but I love it....

Just wanted to share with the other putterheads here on the forum!

DSC_0081-2.jpg

DSC_0082-2.jpg

DSC_0083-2.jpg

DSC_0084-1.jpg

DSC_0085-1.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0098-1.jpg

DSC_0099-1.jpg

From in house rolls.....niiiiiice. Hope to get on course tomorrow though, so wee shall see!

Great looking putter there jman! I can't wait to hear what you think of it on the course.

That is a nice looking putter JMan!

ooooooooo nice. what about the insert do you like? I've never tried a grace putter before.

Sweet putter! "Multi-Rebound Radial Face"? No HSM anymore for Bobby Grace?

Last edited:
  • Staff
ooooooooo nice. what about the insert do you like? I've never tried a grace putter before.

The "HSM" insert (Hole Seeking Material) was basically the first of the putter inserts to made of actual golf ball material (guts) and they've tweaked it to be ultra forgiving and great feel (though too soft for some). BobbyGracePutters.com has info on the HSM material. I personally love it, some flat out dont care for it though.

• Staff
Sweet putter? "Multi-Rebound Radial Face"? No HSM anymore for Bobby Grace?

Its still HSM Bonk, same insert just with grooves and radial lofting. Feels a bit firmer, same awesome roll and forgiveness though...actually, a much tighter roll for me personally so far.

The "HSM" insert (Hole Seeking Material) was basically the first of the putter inserts to made of actual golf ball material (guts) and they've tweaked it to be ultra forgiving and great feel (though too soft for some). BobbyGracePutters.com has info on the HSM material. I personally love it, some flat out dont care for it though.

You had me at hole seeking material. On the site right now, great my internet explorer doesn't need another bookmark.

BTW love the headcover, the old school golfer design is awesome.

Nice putter dude, congrats!

Its still HSM Bonk, same insert just with grooves and radial lofting. Feels a bit firmer, same awesome roll and forgiveness though...actually, a much tighter roll for me personally so far.

Ah, gotcha. I've read that Bobby Grace spent a lot of time and money developing HSM - I like that there are grooves on it now. I need to look at his website to see what new offerings are there.

Interesting look! Kind of like a milled spyder.

Nice putter. I like the grip and headcover too. Let us know how it worked on the course.

I tried many off the rack putters at the store over the course of a month. Nothing comes close to what BG offers IMO. I settled on a F-18. The ball doesn't skid or hop. Tracks like it's on rails. 5 footers are gimmies now. Very stable putter.

It doesn't have the "click" type feel or sound. Not sure if it matters to some. The feel is there though. The tech is money.

I tried many off the rack putters at the store over the course of a month. Nothing comes close to what BG offers IMO. I settled on a F-18. The ball doesn't skid or hop. Tracks like it's on rails. 5 footers are gimmies now. Very stable putter.

It doesn't have the "click" type feel or sound. Not sure if it matters to some. The feel is there though. The tech is money.

I agree with everything you've said. I will say this though, I have not been using this at all since giving it for the sole purpose of giving the Mills I'm demo'ing a fair shake. Will have lots on this one after that though!

I agree with everything you've said. I will say this though, I have not been using this at all since giving it for the sole purpose of giving the Mills I'm demo'ing a fair shake. Will have lots on this one after that though!

So this putter goes for $300.00 bucks? Looking forward to your review on this one. I have tried a couple of BG putters but never a mallet designed one.

So this putter goes for $300.00 bucks? Looking forward to your review on this one. I have tried a couple of BG putters but never a mallet designed one.

My F-18 was $250.

That is a great looking putter. I love center shafted putters!

Really nice looking putter.........curious though, how soft is the insert? Firm piece of rubber soft or closer to the inserts you might find in an odyssey?

Really nice looking putter.........curious though, how soft is the insert? Firm piece of rubber soft or closer to the inserts you might find in an odyssey?

HSM inserts aren't as "clicky" as Oddyssey inserts I've used in the past. The regular HSM has always been fairly soft but the newer radial grroves have actually made it feel a bit firmer. The insert itself has changed quite a bit over the years as in first evolutions it was SUPER mushy feeling, the newer ones not so much. Its still the best feeling insert I've ever used, SeeMore is a not so close second, but thats just me (and I LOVE the SeeMore inserts)

To me it has a muted click. Like Jman said its not a hard plastic click. The insert is more like a composite than rubber. Your finger nail will not dig into it. I would have never believed in BG putters had i not been paired up with a guy who had an older one. After playing around on the green with his. I could not find a production putter that came close. The newer multi rebound insert is even better. What you see in the videos of his website is the truth. Dare i say "super game improvement putter ?" lol. The fact that you can be off a little and not lose distance is huge.

It's a shame the big box stores don't have his putters for people to try. Also a shame more pro players are not gaming them. Comes down to sponsor money i guess.

I really like the look of this putter but is difficult to pull the trigger without testing how this feel. Any idea if BG are going to send few putter to the THP demo day?

I really like the look of this putter but is difficult to pull the trigger without testing how this feel. Any idea if BG are going to send few putter to the THP demo day?

I don't think they've gotten back in contact with JB and GG for some time now despite the site trying. Its a shame really, especially after all the videos they got to film at Bobby's place. Maybe they will get back in contact with the site and send some for the THP'ers to test at the outing. I really wish more here would get a chance to try this one, SUPER stable and amazing roll so far for me.

Back