Bridgestone Golf Balls and May 2011 Golf Digest

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The May 2011 issue of Golf Digest is their Golf Ball Hot List. They make an interesting argument that more golfers would benefit from playing a premium golf ball.

In addition, they rate the various golf balls. The Bridgestone B330 series earned gold and the editors say that, "We like the RXS for most players, but find out for yourself through the company's excellent ballfitting program."

In the $21 - $30 category the e6 cleaned house winning in Performance, Innovation, and Feel. "A favorite with the panel–with better distance."

The golf ball hot list was comical.

EVERY SINGLE major OEM got gold for their premium ball.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Lol, sounds like the rest of the hot list. It is idiotic.

Went through the titleist ball fitting today. It was very different than bridgestones. Not cool being recommended a $50 dollar a dozen ball considering that I am such a high handicapp player. The bridgestone fitting seemed much more appropriate. (E6)

The May 2011 issue of Golf Digest is their Golf Ball Hot List. They make an interesting argument that more golfers would benefit from playing a premium golf ball.

In addition, they rate the various golf balls. The Bridgestone B330 series earned gold and the editors say that, "We like the RXS for most players, but find out for yourself through the company's excellent ballfitting program."

In the $21 - $30 category the e6 cleaned house winning in Performance, Innovation, and Feel. "A favorite with the panel–with better distance."

I'd argue that more golfers would benefit from ignoring that statement and playing a ball that maximized their strengths and minimized their weaknesses.

Bridgestone E6 Yellow is in my Hot List.

Went through the titleist ball fitting today. It was very different than bridgestones. Not cool being recommended a $50 dollar a dozen ball considering that I am such a high handicapp player. The bridgestone fitting seemed much more appropriate. (E6)
I went through the same fitting. I found the Bridgestone one to be more realistic...for me anyway.

Hmmm. They must all be very good. :)

Atleast no one can claim they were being biased.

I wanna trry some bridgestone balls out

That is what I notice every year from some of the major manufacturers. Another thing I noticed is that Nike doesn't get many gold medals but they have made some pretty decent equipment last year and this year, specifically the Nike VR split cavities which seems to get high praise from almost anyone I know that tried them. The Splits were never mentioned in the hot list when they came out, and the pro combos were only silver this year and I heard they felt and played just as good. Nike must not pay Golf Digest as much money I guess...I have always gotten a free subscription because I buy Tiger Woods PGA Tour on the PS3 every year, but I think I can also chose another golf magazine so I think I might have to check the other one out this year.

That is what I notice every year from some of the major manufacturers. Another thing I noticed is that Nike doesn't get many gold medals but they have made some pretty decent equipment last year and this year, specifically the Nike VR split cavities which seems to get high praise from almost anyone I know that tried them. The Splits were never mentioned in the hot list when they came out, and the pro combos were only silver this year and I heard they felt and played just as good. Nike must not pay Golf Digest as much money I guess...I have always gotten a free subscription because I buy Tiger Woods PGA Tour on the PS3 every year, but I think I can also chose another golf magazine so I think I might have to check the other one out this year.

I am not sure I agree. I dont think the guys are on the take. Its a thankless job, but its not a ranking anymore since every company is getting gold.

Hotist = directory of goods for me. You have to go to page 3 or 4 to find the things I would be interested in checking out. I already know the big boys put out acceptable stuff. And "demand" as a category?! What a joke. Back on topic, they rated the E6 tops last year as well. Somebody better create a "State Your Opinion on the Hotlist Here" thread as I am so tempted to get on the soapbox.

Good for BS, I guess. Kinda false praise though. I just picked up some e5's used, gonna give them a run. The e6 is not my favorite ball, but it has been a while since my last encounter. I should try them again.

They make an interesting argument that more golfers would benefit from playing a premium golf ball.
I havent read the article but I tend to agree with that. Ive seen a couple of guys I play with that are mid 20 handicaps go from strugling around the greens to looking much more adept when switching from a "cheap" ball to a real good spinning ball. They didnt really become better players but 3 or 4 times a round they would hit a shot by the hole and it would stop on a dime.

I havent read the article but I tend to agree with that. Ive seen a couple of guys I play with that are mid 20 handicaps go from strugling around the greens to looking much more adept when switching from a "cheap" ball to a real good spinning ball. They didnt really become better players but 3 or 4 times a round they would hit a shot by the hole and it would stop on a dime.

What about the number of shots that it takes to get them to the green? A spinnier ball is going to contribute to side-spin, which we know that high handicappers struggle with. Also, what about the guys that can't compress a tour ball completely?

What about the number of shots that it takes to get them to the green? A spinnier ball is going to contribute to side-spin, which we know that high handicappers struggle with. Also, what about the guys that can't compress a tour ball completely?

I didnt notice them taking more shots to reach the green honestly. I agree about the compression. Thats where bridgestone really shines in my opinion. as far as I know they are the only company making a premium ball that has 65 compression core. A premium ball made for slower swing speeds.

I think terms like Tour and Distance and Straight and Penetrating and High should all be taken out of the equation. The average golfer would be best served to find a ball that they can keep in the fairway easier, hit the farthest, and still control around the greens. FWIW, I think control around the greens has more to do with the golfer than the ball.

Good for BS, I guess. Kinda false praise though. I just picked up some e5's used, gonna give them a run. The e6 is not my favorite ball, but it has been a while since my last encounter. I should try them again.
The 2011 e6 is a completely different ball. It has a dimple within a dimple, I guess you'd call it. (I wonder how Top Flight feels about that?).

The 2011 e6 is a completely different ball. It has a dimple within a dimple, I guess you'd call it. (I wonder how Top Flight feels about that?).

Totally different technology. It is like asking Bridgestone what they feel about seamless. Or heck asking any company what they think about dimples.

Totally different technology. It is like asking Bridgestone what they feel about seamless. Or heck asking any company what they think about dimples.
That's good to know. What I do know is that it's a great ball. I prefer the RXS but the e6 is still a great ball (the fitter gave me a sample of those as well).

Or even a better one. What do you think Bridgestone feels about other companies using a Urethane cover on a multilayer ball? Its all technology that must be utilized correctly.

I guess I would ask the 20 handicapper this . Is it easier to correct your slight OTT move with the driver or to not hit your chip shot quite as hard (to account for more roll out)?

Posted via Tapatalk.

Back