Alexis Thompson petition

jnug

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the Alexis Thompson petition is for? I guess she is looking for some sort of an exemption but I don't know what that is for. I thought she was already qualified for the full tour but if that were the case I guess she would not be petitioning for some sort o exemption.

Because the bulk of her earning were not at sanctioned LPGA events (Evian and the US Womans Open) she did not have enough official earnigs,interesting ruling if you ask me. So she is petitioning for an additional 6 Sponsopr exeptions (giving her 12 total). She is good enough to play on the tour and I don't see how the LPGA wins this one.

like stevens said if she doesn't win they're turning down a player that is better than at least half of them on that tour. But, I can see where the angry players on the LPGA were coming from. A teenager coming and upstaging them.

She really shoulda read the rules before turning pro. I like watching her alot and shes a damn good golfer, but whoever is advising her needs to stop, and they need to find someone with a clue.

I look at it this way , she is a hell of a player , and if she can beat you she should play , if she takes a spot away and these girls dont want her to take your spot , play better then her then !
At 15 and turning Pro in June and then showing she can play , I would rather see Lexi play on the LPGA then a transgender IMO .

OK so it sounds like she did not play in enough of the tourneys that would have gotten her the points that she needs. Does anybody see any logic to what her advisers had her do? Were they looking for a more global exposure or something like that which kept her away from the places she needed to play to get the points?

I did hear a little snip that said she was not asking that she replace a player that had earned the exemptions but was only asking that she be allowed to play as well. If nobody is going to lose their spot I think it would be hard to argue that she not be allowed to play. Granted it is a screw up and there is always a question of rules being rules. It just seems to me that in this case they cut off their nose to spite there face if they don't let her play. Again if somebody is going to lose their spot I think then it would be tough to allow her to play.

She is asking to be allowed to play in 12 events instead of 6. As a non-LPGA member, she is only allowed to play 6 LPGA events with sponsor exemptions. Even if she won and made enough money, she can't join the LPGA until she is 18 anyways, so what's the point of playing in more tournaments? With the small schedule of the LPGA, playing 12 tournaments is like playing the whole season.

That is one thing I did not consider Rancho. The LPGA tour is rather short especially when compared to the PGA tour.

Well she earned over 300k last year and has a fairlt lucrative deal with Puma. She would have finished 34th on the money list if they counted all of her earnings. Next year has more international events sanctioned by the LPGA so it could severely limit her events.

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat creepy to see how young some of these up and comers are? I mean, they're barely out of puberty.

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat creepy to see how young some of these up and comers are? I mean, they're barely out of puberty.

and soon some of them will be men without junk

and soon some of them will be men without junk

Yeah, why wait for the Senior's tour?

Step 1: acquire boobs.
Step 2: ????
Step 3: PROFIT

Let the girl play. We need to see more young American golfers in the LPGA. It is fast becoming the Korean Ladies PGA.

Why go through the exercise of making rules if they have no teeth.

No membership until 18 y/o
6 exemptions
No bionic "women"

Michelle turned pro early - was that good for her development ???

Let the girl play. We need to see more young American golfers in the LPGA. It is fast becoming the Korean Ladies PGA.

Let the girl follow the rules.

Well as far as the age thing goes, look at women’s tennis, women’s gymnastics and figure skating. The biggest difference is that you would expect a female golfer to be hitting her stride at something from 22-25 while in those other three sport they are about done by that age.

You would think that the caddy has to play a more significant role for some of these younger people playing golf competitively as there are a good many decisions that have to be made during a round and that is just not the kind of thing that happens that much in the other three sports I mentioned. Some decisions to be made during a competitive tennis match.

Korda has got her dad out there on the bag for her.

I think the age thing is OK as long as the kid him or herself has the passion for the sport. I am very concerned with the number of instances when a parent sees the potential in the son or daughter in a way that the kid is not even thinking about. On a percentage basis the number of people making an outstanding living out of competitive athletics when compared with those involved in the activity at some level is staggering. As long as the kid is not giving up his or her life for something they really don’t have a passion for, then I am OK with it.

If she was missing cuts and struggling at every event different. But I agree very few want to watch 15-20 Korean golfers compete. She made over 300k last year she is good enough to play.

Just another case of parents living through/off of their kids. I read that Wie's parents were her biggest liability at her tournaments. Minimum age is 18. They gave her 6 exemptions and if that isn't enough, well...

Just another case of parents living through/off of their kids.

In this case it's not quite that simple, though I believe this young lady is missing out on a childhood. That being said, she is a phenom, and probably one of the best woman players in the world. I can't say that rules should be changed for one phenom, however.

Kevin

In this case it's not quite that simple, though I believe this young lady is missing out on a childhood. That being said, she is a phenom, and probably one of the best woman players in the world. I can't say that rules should be changed for one phenom, however.

Kevin

I hope she doesn't follow Michelle Wie's footsteps and start entering and missing all the cuts in men's events. Before she proves she can win on the LPGA. Just because Annika did it ONE TIME doesn't mean these youngsters can do it a brazilian times.

I hope she doesn't follow Michelle Wie's footsteps and start entering and missing all the cuts in men's events. Before she proves she can win on the LPGA. Just because Annika did it ONE TIME doesn't mean these youngsters can do it a brazilian times.

I believe she and her family have said they have no plans to compete with men.

Kevin

I think the young lady has a ton of talent. I just hope she does not burn out too soon and enjoy life as a teen first....

I say give her a shot. She deserves the opportunity.

She's got six shots...win one of those and the rest will take care of itself.

Back