The Official Tiger Woods Thread

When will people finally pull their heads out of their arses and stop talking about him playing courses he knows super well etc. His ****** play has NOTHING to do with the course he's on, the man is a mental train wreck! Whether he misses fairways or greens on a course he does or doesn't know makes no difference, he will still hit crap shots to get himself into trouble and will not be able to get himself out of it.

This is just not accurate.
he knows where to miss and it has shown during the last 3 years of play where his driving of the ball was worse a year ago than it is now.
You keep saying it, but its just not correct. He has always played certain courses incredibly well whether he has been struggling or not.
See Torrey, Bay Hill, Doral

I don't think the course matters. TW has no touch and no confidence around the greens. When you can't execute a shot the way you have in the past 1,000's of times then you will find yourself at the very bottom of the leader board.....again.

This is just not accurate.
he knows where to miss and it has shown during the last 3 years of play where his driving of the ball was worse a year ago than it is now.
You keep saying it, but its just not correct. He has always played certain courses incredibly well whether he has been struggling or not.
See Torrey, Bay Hill, Doral

Yea I have to agree with this. Knowing the course, and especially a course you have performed well on, definitely helps. You just don't have to think as much, and if his biggest issue right now is mental, then this is where he can prove where he really is with his game. Like JB said before, if he plays poorly here, then it's bad news.

Looking at some pictures the rough seems to be grown in a lot more & thicker in the second cut. Interested to see how he handles this on top of a poor short game.

If he can hit his approach shots with consistency (more GIR) then MAYBE the short game is a non issue this week, but he hasn't shown that yet.

I get that he knows the course but I just don't think he's playing well enough where he "knows" where he will miss. The short game was the easiest thing to highlight from last week. Let's just say that he knows where to miss.....hitting 46% of fairways and 50% of greens with that short game is spelling disaster.

Just my opinion obviously.....we will see soon enough.

Eh. Honestly not that concerned over a shank. Surprising, I know. That could have been one of those stuck in between thoughts and just derped it. That angle doesn't show what the hands were doing as much as the face on view would have.

Just reminded me of Tin Cup. Chili Dippers up Lee Janzen's a$$.

http://youtu.be/Bb9ARJdM81I?t=29s

I get that he knows the course but I just don't think he's playing well enough where he "knows" where he will miss. The short game was the easiest thing to highlight from last week. Let's just say that he knows where to miss.....hitting 46% of fairways and 50% of greens with that short game is spelling disaster.

Look at his last win at Bay Hill. Outside of the top 35 due to poor driving the two tournaments prior to that. Comes to Doral and Bay Hill and won. Not the same thing, but the same TW in some ways. His short game was a huge question mark coming into that year. His driving was all over the place. He didnt have to hit driver much at either venue.

The idea that courses dont matter is a bit different to me, because if that were the case, a player would not rack up more wins at a handful of courses than any others combined. I know people only seem to remember the good and highlight reels, but the truth is, Tiger has not been a great driver of the golf ball for years. He was always able to get by based on his length and being able to club down. He didnt always have a two way miss, but was not really great with the driver.

His short game has been off (not to this extent) for well over a year. He found ways to compete in spots due to knowing the courses incredibly well.

I agree with a bunch of that. But there is also something to be said to being able to be 100% comfortable on the course. Knowing your sight lines, knowing the layout, knowing the greens. Perhaps with more comfort it brings up the quality on the other areas of the game. While his game hasn't looked this bad, it's like with Phil, there is always something about him when he steps foot at Augusta National. Sometimes these courses just bring back the good vibes and help propel you to better results. TW has multiple courses like that, and this is one of them. Time will tell I guess. To your point, I also don't think things will be magically 100% solved this week. But hopefully some strong improvement is shown.

I get it....and I get that he plays WAY better at some courses. The reason I say the course doesn't matter in this case is because he is coming into this event playing arguably the WORST golf of his career. He has zero confidence in his swing and doesn't know what will happen.

He's up against way too much for the course knowledge to make a significant difference.

My opinion....and I will be right or wrong over the next 2 days.

I get it....and I get that he plays WAY better at some courses. The reason I say the course doesn't matter in this case is because he is coming into this event playing arguably the WORST golf of his career. He has zero confidence in his swing and doesn't know what will happen.

He's up against way too much for the course knowledge to make a significant difference.

My opinion....and I will be right or wrong over the next 2 days.

You might be right. Regardless of outcome over the next 2 days, I think the course definitely plays a role. Its why some players choose to schedule only at certain places and rarely deviate. THey have a comfort and it helps.

I also am not sure he is playing the worst of his career, but its certainly up there. I think the last 4-5 years have shown stretches like this or stretches of mediocrity that makes people say he's done...And then he wins or plays a strong round and then say "he's back, never count out TW".

The irony is for a guy that has made it known that its pretty much only about majors, its been a long time since he won one and I still think he has a chance to compete at Augusta with some small tweaks.

The irony is for a guy that has made it known that its pretty much only about majors, its been a long time since he won one and I still think he has a chance to compete at Augusta with some small tweaks.

even today at his presser. The goal is to have things ready to go come Augusta. To me that means he doesn't care how bad he looks out there last week, this week, or whenever he plays again. As long as the game is ready to go come that week in April.

even today at his presser. The goal is to have things ready to go come Augusta. To me that means he doesn't care how bad he looks out there last week, this week, or whenever he plays again. As long as the game is ready to go come that week in April.

It'll be interesting. While I get the intent, if things go as bad as last week and we have a highlight reel of shanks and flubs then it becomes harder to believe that he's headed in the right direction.

I want him to be successful, golf is more entertaining when he's in the mix. I've loved watching him over the last 20 years and really hope he can figure it out.

The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I also am not sure he is playing the worst of his career, but its certainly up there. I think the last 4-5 years have shown stretches like this or stretches of mediocrity that makes people say he's done...And then he wins or plays a strong round and then say "he's back, never count out TW .

While I agree with this, the only difference this time is we are seeing chips/pitches that never existed before. Previously this was a non issue & he could manage around his tee game or poor iron play. Throw in the short game problems & it will make for some interesting golf.

I hope he figures it out bc like others have said a contending TW makes the game better & easier to watch.

It seems that for the past couple of years every tournament is a practice round for the Majors.

While I agree with this, the only difference this time is we are seeing chips/pitches that never existed before. Previously this was a non issue & he could manage around his tee game or poor iron play. Throw in the short game problems & it will make for some interesting golf.

I hope he figures it out bc like others have said a contending TW makes the game better & easier to watch.

I actually think we did see this over the past couple of years. Not to this extreme mind you, but the short game struggles were there. In fact it was one of my biggest criticisms was that I thought Foley took all of the feel and instinct out of the short game and tried to make it mechanical. We saw horrible bunker play and pitches and chips that came back to him, came up woefully short and more.

I bet this is all part of Tiger's secret plan. He's going to play poorly all the way up to the Master's so people count him out, and then turn on his A-game just like that, haha.

Anybody seen highlights of his practice round at Torrey? Same old same old, missing fairways and greens and some truly awful shots around the greens. Lol

Anybody seen highlights of his practice round at Torrey? Same old same old, missing fairways and greens and some truly awful shots around the greens. Lol
I haven't seen it, but I heard it was pretty ugly. How'd you do out there today?

This thread is about Tiger, not me. If you want to know about my game what I will say is I have NEVER chipped as badly as I've seen Tiger do recently.

Thought it was odd for a guy with the chipping yips to go see Lindsay race yesterday in CO...not sure the dedication is there anymore...today on the range he was asking Billy Hoerschel and Pat Perez for chipping tips/lessons...and Perez was filming it on his iPhone...asking Perez for chipping advice/lessons has to be getting close to rock bottom no???.

Anyone who has ever had the yips or shanks has gotta be scared for Tiger for tomorrow.

Man all this talk of Tiger and if he's in serious trouble. Whether he is or isn't and I know what I'm going to say won't be a "story" or wont make "ratings" but love him or hate him he is great for golf. Hell he is golf for a whole lot of people. He moves the needle more than anyone and it's not even close. Waste Management sold 20,000 more tickets when he committed didn't they? He can help grow the game. Most guys here at THP are so far away from the norm it's not even funny. Most guys here watch golf and are into golf because they love the game. There's people out there that would watch golf and play golf just because of Tiger himself. Like I said love him or hate him he can do a lot for the sport we all love. Shouldn't everyone be positive towards him? Shouldn't we all be hoping he comes back like the Tiger of old, whether he can or not to help bring the sport we love back into the spotlight it was when he was dominating? Maybe I'm wrong and way off base here, but I hope the guy proves me wrong and comes back and wins and wins big. Do I think he can? I don't but you can bet your bottom dollar I hope he does because I truly believe if he came back and won it would grow the game. The market for golf isn't most people here at THP. We will always play and always buy clubs, it's the people that aren't playing that I think Tiger being successful again would bring back to the game or even bring into the game that would help our sport we love grow and become popular again.

Oof. Tiger is just awful right now. That confused look he has after the shank is pretty much what I look like throughout the entire round when I play haha.
I agree he always plays certain courses well, and always has, but this time I'm not so sure. I think the Masters is going to sneak up on him and he won't be ready because he is absolutely lost right now.

Back