Android Phone Thread

What phone do you have?

Original Samsung Galaxy?

No, the III.

It announces the name of who's texting me or calling me. Only way I can make it stop is to turn down the sound. Not ringer sound though. Just the sound that controls music or video.

No, the III.

It announces the name of who's texting me or calling me. Only way I can make it stop is to turn down the sound. Not ringer sound though. Just the sound that controls music or video.
Ah, ok. My wife's phone was doing this. Somehow my daughter turned it on. Pull down the notifications screen, and look at the icons on the top...swipe to the right and see if "Driving Mode" is lit up. If it is, turn it off. No more talking.

Nope that is off. I just on/offed it to see if that helps. I swear it started after the update, but I can't remember for sure.

Nope that is off. I just on/offed it to see if that helps. I swear it started after the update, but I can't remember for sure.
HMmm.

Does it say anything when you get an email?

We got this War our powers combined, I am determined. What about TalkBack settings in accessibility, there is a check for speak caller ID is that checked?

HMmm.

Does it say anything when you get an email?

No, but I use K9 for that. Not sure if that matters.

We got this War our powers combined, I am determined. What about TalkBack settings in accessibility, there is a check for speak caller ID is that checked?

TalkBack is off, but I did just check settings. There was a checkbox in the feedback section that said "Sound feedback", so I unchecked it. Though, it shouldn't have been working anyway since it was off. I wonder if it's glitching or something.

And now it's not doing it. Oh well.

And now it's not doing it. Oh well.
Im thinking that it was an issue with Driving Mode. After my wife updated her OS, it did the same thing. She clicked it on and off a few times, battery pull, hasnt done it since.

Other thing that could cause it is something in the S Voice settings.

I wonder if the first part of what you said is what happened. I just had Erica shoot me a couple texts and it didn't happen, so maybe it's gone. Hell, maybe I'd turned it on accidentally at some point. At least I know where to look now.

I wonder if the first part of what you said is what happened. I just had Erica shoot me a couple texts and it didn't happen, so maybe it's gone. Hell, maybe I'd turned it on accidentally at some point. At least I know where to look now.

THP Geek Squad ftw.

So... my VZN upgrade is finally here! What a long 20 months. Anyway, who wants to chime in and suggest me a phone? HTC DNA and Samsung Note II seem like the best, current offerings.

Then there's the iPhone 5...

So... my VZN upgrade is finally here! What a long 20 months. Anyway, who wants to chime in and suggest me a phone? HTC DNA and Samsung Note II seem like the best, current offerings.

Then there's the iPhone 5...

Ok what phone are you coming from? Do you have experience with Android OS?

I also recommend that you go to the store and pick up different phones, see how they feel in your hands. I also do the pocket test since my phones spend a lot of time in my pocket how does it feel there? In addition try typing on them do you like the touch screen keyboard or do you want a physical keyboard.

Whole thread here on the iPhone you should check out. I for one will never have an iPhone just personal preference to the Android OS and the ability to customize and tinker etc. That's just me but everyone is different.

I personally have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it works great for me. So many choices out there, good luck.

Ok what phone are you coming from? Do you have experience with Android OS?

I also recommend that you go to the store and pick up different phones, see how they feel in your hands. I also do the pocket test since my phones spend a lot of time in my pocket how does it feel there? In addition try typing on them do you like the touch screen keyboard or do you want a physical keyboard.

Whole thread here on the iPhone you should check out. I for one will never have an iPhone just personal preference to the Android OS and the ability to customize and tinker etc. That's just me but everyone is different.

I personally have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it works great for me. So many choices out there, good luck.
Coming from the HTC Thunderbolt. After this phone I said I would never go back to HTC. The battery is just absolutely terrible and I upgraded to the OEM 3250mAH lithium which still doesn't hold a charge for a day. I'm reading pretty good reviews about the HTC DNA battery life.

I'm familiar with the Droid OS. I like the customization and widgets, which has me steering in the droid direction again. Plus I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan. If I do go the iPhone route I think I'd be subject to the 2gb cap, or is it 4? Regardless, this isn't a huge deal breaker since I don't use that match data, but still something I think about in the back of my head.

The Note II is absolutely huge. Not a big fan of that, but I love the powerful core. If I'm stuck with this phone for 20 months I'd like something that'll withstand the test of time. I don't have a Murse so it'll be odd carrying this thing around. Not sure how I'll cope so that is one big, big deterrent.

TBH, in a perfect world I'd have a blackberry keyboard phone with touchscreen and android OS. Possible? :act-up: I hate the touchscreen keyboard and miss my blackberry. I could type 10x faster and more accurately with that thing. Oh well!

These guys recommended SwiftKey and it's been a big improvement when it comes to typing.

These guys recommended SwiftKey and it's been a big improvement when it comes to typing.
I use that as well. It works pretty well and makes typing more tolerable.

I do agree though. No can defend BB keyboard for speed typing.

Coming from the HTC Thunderbolt. After this phone I said I would never go back to HTC. The battery is just absolutely terrible and I upgraded to the OEM 3250mAH lithium which still doesn't hold a charge for a day. I'm reading pretty good reviews about the HTC DNA battery life.

I'm familiar with the Droid OS. I like the customization and widgets, which has me steering in the droid direction again. Plus I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan. If I do go the iPhone route I think I'd be subject to the 2gb cap, or is it 4? Regardless, this isn't a huge deal breaker since I don't use that match data, but still something I think about in the back of my head.

The Note II is absolutely huge. Not a big fan of that, but I love the powerful core. If I'm stuck with this phone for 20 months I'd like something that'll withstand the test of time. I don't have a Murse so it'll be odd carrying this thing around. Not sure how I'll cope so that is one big, big deterrent.

TBH, in a perfect world I'd have a blackberry keyboard phone with touchscreen and android OS. Possible? :act-up: I hate the touchscreen keyboard and miss my blackberry. I could type 10x faster and more accurately with that thing. Oh well!

Ahh the good old TBolt I had that phone as well, for being really the first 4G phone out there it was ok but by today's standards really falls short. Android and Google have made great strides with battery life IMO. No reason you can not go a full day with moderate to heavy use without charging.

Talk to War about the Note II he loves that thing and has me in serious ponder mode once my contract is up in April.

I have also read good reviews on the DNA but if you want away from HTC then Samsung would be my choice.

Not sure there is a physical keyboard and touchscreen phone out there like what you are talking about but I could be wrong.

Good luck making the decision and let us know how it goes.

I do agree though. No can defend BB keyboard for speed typing.
I actually hate the tiny keyboard on my BB now. Granted the keyboard on my BlackBerry is 1/16th the size of my phones screen, but regardless, it's too small.

I actually hate the tiny keyboard on my BB now. Granted the keyboard on my BlackBerry is 1/16th the size of my phones screen, but regardless, it's too small.
So you have the Note 2 huh. How do you carry that thing around? And what of the camera quality? The only 2 cons for my practical uses. The image qualities I've looked up for the Note 2 tell me that it shoots great outdoor pictures and average indoor pictures. Which is likely due to the lighting.

So you have the Note 2 huh. How do you carry that thing around? And what of the camera quality? The only 2 cons for my practical uses. The image qualities I've looked up for the Note 2 tell me that it shoots great outdoor pictures and average indoor pictures. Which is likely due to the lighting.
I carry it in my pocket. It's really not that much bigger than the S3, well it is, but you adjust quickly.

Camera is great, obviously indoor pictures with poor lighting will result in a grainy picture, but other than I have no issues with it.

I carry it in my pocket. It's really not that much bigger than the S3, well it is, but you adjust quickly.

Camera is great, obviously indoor pictures with poor lighting will result in a grainy picture, but other than I have no issues with it.
Hmmmm, I guess it's between this and the iPhone5 for me then. Thanks for the input.

Ok, do you ever turn off the phone? Battery pull? Are you rooted and running a custom ROM? Have you tried a different charger?

For me I try not to charge my phone over night because it winds up charging very quickly and then sitting on the charger at 100% for most of the night. I am probably guilty of overcharging. There are some apps that can tell you about the battery and determine if it is working optimally. Better Battery Stats is one I believe. Also have you tried wiping your batter stats? That sometime can help to solve and issue.

Let me know and I can try and help.

Are you rooted and running a custom ROM? All of this is Greek to me......Do I need a battery stats app?? How can I do this......wiping your batter stats?

I welcome any help here.....Thanks!

Are you rooted and running a custom ROM? All of this is Greek to me......Do I need a battery stats app?? How can I do this......wiping your batter stats?

I welcome any help here.....Thanks!

Ok got ya. I was just trying to get a little background, sorry for all the technical stuff.

Rooting is basically unlocking your device and with that you can install various ROMs. A ROM runs on phones and can offer customizations that are not available to people running what is called "stock". Stock is the device as you get it from the carrier ie Verizon, T Mobile etc.

Sometimes a battery pull and turning the phone off then on can help to solve some of these issues. Have you tried a different charger and gotten the same results of not charging?

Back